Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Wingnut Wing SE.5a Hisso WIP

Last week I started building the Hisso. A beautiful kit, although at closer look you can see how much progress WnW has made when you compare it to the Fokkers that have been marketed lately. If there's any interest I will post progress here. The first steps refer to the lower part of the cockpit and the cockpit floor.

v]DSCF2374_zpsfcef13b3.jpg

The wooden parts of the cockpit have been painted with Tamiya Desert Yellow and are protected with a coat of Tamiya Gloss Varnish. After this dried I used different brown shades of oil paint. These have been applied and left to dry for half an hour. Then I started dragging an old dry brush through the oil paint in the direction of the grain. Clean the brush regularly and slowly but surely the wood structure appears. When the oil paint is dry protect it again with a coat of gloss varnish. The seat was painted with a reddish brown and after that dried Raw Umber oil paint was drybrushed on the seat and back cushion. The safety harness is the etching that comes with the kit. I was painted in a tan color and some color modulation was done with whites for the higher parts and dark brown for the shadows. Everything was airbrushed with Tamiya Medium Gloss Varnish after which the safety harness, pistol and ammo magazine were painted with matt varnish.

DSCF2373_zpsa2a59406.jpg

The oil tank was painted with Humbrol metal. After this dried the tank received washes with Tamiya Smoke to bring out the detail. It was finished with Tamiya medium gloss.

DSCF2371_zps6ef1fdea.jpg

Cockpit floor and oil tank temporarily pressed in place. The sides of the cockpit are painted with various shades of Humbrol Linen and Tan and coated with matt varnish.

DSCF2370_zps90e2b286.jpg

The center floor and the rudder pedals. The floor got the same wood treatment as described earlier, but now with a mix of sepia and raw umber oil paints. It is finished with Semi Gloss Varnish.

DSCF2367_zps9178457e.jpg

The cockpit temporarily pinned together. I will now start working on the cables, the upper cockpit deck and the instrument panel.

Hope you enjoy the pics so far, all comments welcome as usual. Happy modeling, Jeroen

• Like 3

• Administrators

Any interest? You kidding? I can't wait to see your work on this. 

You're right too. I don't think WNW would mold the brace wires internally now. I'm used to seeing provision to do this yourself on the later kits. You sure can see the way WNW were thinking and how they improved further though.

Lovely work so far too. More superb wood graining. Interested to see how you'll tackle the monotone exterior. What scheme you doing?

Thanks Martin, James! At the moment I have a slight preference for D3540 'K', the bird Captain Lewis flew. I like 351-4 as well, with the red band, but that's a trainer and I prefer combat aircraft… The instructions didn't force me to make a final choice so I keep my options open for a little while ;-)

• Administrators

I love this plane and what you're doing with it.

I agree on the progress that has been made with WnW kits.

Also noticable with the Junkers J1 kit. The fit, detail and placement of sink marks have greatly approved :)

Very keen on seeing your WIP.

• 1 month later...

Undersides were painted with Humbrol linen colors. The ribs were masked as well as the beams and then dark brown was sprayed over the tape, leaving overspray on either side. After the tape was removed different shades of linen were airbrushed over this base. Paint was very very thin for control over color density and variation. The fuselage and wings received different shades of green. The homebrewn PC10 will be airbrushed over this in transparent layers so I can play with the light a little… Still need to think where I go from there because at the moment I have no clue :P

DSCF2406_zpsef3cedeb.jpg

DSCF2407_zpsc4a5d226.jpg

DSCF2409_zpse83c4e89.jpg

• Like 3

Undersides were painted with Humbrol linen colors. The ribs were masked as well as the beams and then dark brown was sprayed over the tape, leaving overspray on either side. After the tape was removed different shades of linen were airbrushed over this base. Paint was very very thin for control over color density and variation. The fuselage and wings received different shades of green. The homebrewn PC10 will be airbrushed over this in transparent layers so I can play with the light a little… Still need to think where I go from there because at the moment I have no clue :P

That's a great tip re masking the ribs and spraying them to get the over-spray Jeroen, thanks for that.  That's another technique banked in the tip box.

Thanks guys, for all the kind words and stimulating remarks. In the last week I painted the fuselage and wings in a homemade PC10 and focussed on weathering the undersides of the wings. This was a very intense procedure because I wanted to try and get some depth in the paintwork. I used many transparent color layers, some airbrushed, some brushed with oils. The effect is maybe a little heavy but I decided to leave it for what it is at this stage and start concentrating on weathering the PC10. In the end I will see how everything balances out and make adjustments then. This is where she stands at the moment...

DSCF2411_zps69da9022.jpg

DSCF2414_zps9abd0ec1.jpg

DSCF2416_zps99cb3d49.jpg

DSCF2427_zps6095f4f7.jpg

DSCF2429_zpse5c71eeb.jpg

DSCF2430_zpsb21e674d.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Hi Jeroen,

i love the weathered look on these wings! a bit of contrast makes these kits just way more fun to look at.

I like it a lot... Going way slower on my DH9a, but i think I'll give my wings the same treatment. 

Rock on!

• Like 1