The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Getting back into this scale modelling thing thanks to my son having been given a couple of Airfix starter kits... got me thinking.

Have almost completed Tamiya's 1/32 MkIX Spitfire and have begun work on Trumpeters 1/32 A1-J Skyraider. The Skyraider has always fascinated me as an aircraft as has the conflicts that occurred in southeast asia in the 50s, 60,s and 70s.

Anyway, have begun work on the engine, adding a couple extra details from scratch... really just experimenting with different techniques as I go as I have no idea what I'm doing really! Engine piping based on a few online resources and added to the OTB kit as well as possible.

20170918_193113.jpg

20170920_150030.jpg

20170920_150039.jpg

20170920_150048.jpg

20170920_150104.jpg

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, Wingco57 said:

Welcome to LSM! Make yourself at home here and entertain us with your builds.

Of which you already seem to have made a great start.

cheers

Cees

Thanks. Enjoying being back into it and looking at all the builds on here for ideas and inspiration!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Wingco57 said:

What's the yellow disc?

Cheers

Cees

I think its a map of some sort, compass maybe? Im not really sure but the Eduard PE cockpit set comes with a choice of 3 different type. It slides in and out of the instrument console, was an interesting experiment to fit!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Nice progress on the Skyraider and lots of fine detail work included, chapeau. The name Skyraider is always a little irritating and misleading to me, because it looks like a tractor and lacks the elegance of it's name. Nonetheless a very interesting and tempting plane.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 1

Haha, Skyraider is indeed misleading. I think the appeal for me is that is was kind of a tractor, rugged and functional, elegant in an ugly ducking way. A filthy oil spewing workhorse that defied the jet age.

Its been interesting researching the different look of the plane as it seems it varied from aircraft to aircraft, ie: were the wheel wells white or green? So many variations. So I guess it doesn't really matter what they are! Same with the cannons... muzzle suppressor or no muzzle suppressor...

• Like 1

Im kind of working off this image as a guide... My finished model will have more mess arounf the exhaust though. It looks as though this SPAD has had a recent wipe down. But the general beaten up and weathered work horse look is what I'm going for.

26117324522_7754827b74_b.jpg

• Like 3

Bit of a disaster... fixable thankfully.

Paint issues... it started to peel off. Masked a section with tamiya tape and the MM paint peeled away... hmmm. Frustrating...

Anybody else ever had this issue? Have never had it with Tamiya acrylics... May be a result of not properly cleaning the plastic before painting... I did prime but was acrylic not the tamiya primer I have used in the past.

Am busy stripping the remainder of the old paint with a mix of an acrylic car paint stripper (pretty strong stuff) and ISA. About 10 parts IPA to 1 of the stripper. Seems to be working well and no damage to the plastic. A lot of re-scribing work to do!

I may paint this one with enamel now to avoid this occurring again...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that. All back on track now. Took quite a while to get the remaining paint removed.

The green detailing paint is done, its a bit dark but will weather it back, cockpit is complete with the yankee seat installed. Have added some extra wiring to the ejection system just to make things a bit more interesting. Really just working on the weathering now, sanding back some paint to get a more faded look and spraying some lighter grey on. Also sprayed some slightly darker grey as well. Will do a lot more of the weathering with acrylics once I have a layer or two of gloss down.

Considering the "issue" I had I'm happy enough with how its progressing. Want to get it complete so I can start the next project. An A4-K RNZAF Skyhawk, NZ6209.

IMG_6035.JPG

IMG_6037.JPG

IMG_6039.JPG

IMG_6040.JPG

IMG_6041.JPG

• Like 2

This will be the next project once the skyraider is complete.

NZ6209 "09" A4-K Skyhawk of the RNZAF. I did a photo job for the regional paper when the plane was moved to the Warbirds display at Ardmore airport and my son who was 5 at the time is in the picture with a former pilot of the skyhawk.

Best part is that the reference material is only a 25min drive away. I went and grabbed some reference shots today in anticipation of starting the project. Some really interesting details that you only see looking at a real aircraft in person, such as the weld marks on the external wing mounted fuel tanks. These are repairs to indentations caused by the ejected shell casings... will think of a way to add that detail to the model...

IMG_5938.jpg

IMG_6009.jpg

IMG_6043.JPG

IMG_6026.jpg

IMG_6030.jpg

• Like 2

On 26/10/2017 at 9:11 AM, KiwiZac said:

I very rarely have cause to prime models so I can't offer anything but encouragement and enthusiasm to see your build continue. Your work on the landing gear alone is gorgeous and looks spot

Progress.. finally! Starting to look like an aircraft.

Some weathering done over a gloss coat using a dark brown clay wash. Left side decals applied. Considering the setbacks experienced im more than happy. I think I may be winning!

20171109_213256.jpg

• Like 4