The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Recommend me some kits! Please :)

Guest styrenedemon

Guest styrenedemon

Ok, you crazies and your large scale madness has infected me. I'm having so much fun working on my Mustang that I feverishly anticipate building more LS stuff.

We have a show coming up and I'll be on a 32nd expidetion. The Tamiya Mk. IX Spit and their Zero are on the list...and a WNW kit if I find one that tickles me, but it's like the lotto...I don't know what the good deals are going to be, and I have little experience with what's out there in this scale...that isn't crap.

A list of subjects I'm inquiring about:

109 (the Drago Emil is the way to go, no?)

P-40 (I understand the trump kit is not so good...any other to watch for)

P-47 (see p-40)

Me 262

Bf 110 

Any WW2 Navy stuff (the ***cats, SBM, TBMs, etc etc...will wait for Tamiya Corsair)

P-38

What should I look for...in other words..what cherry 32nd kits are out there? feel free to offer suggestions for ANY kit you like or that is especially good.

Hi Demon.

109 E is dragon (Cyber Hobby) for sure.

P-40 Hasegawa

P-40 Trumpy or Hasegawa

Me 262 Trumpy

Bf 110 Dragon

The 190 E fron Dragon is fantastic (see Kojo build here on the forums.

Cheers,

Jamme

The only one I have done (on your list) is Trumpy's P-40. Wouldn't say it's no good. I enjoyed it. Only issue really is when it comes to accuracy...which has been mentioned in about every review, and typical for Trumpy. The only thing I really don't care for, with their kits is the way the control surfaces attach....so they can remain movable. I don't like moving parts, so I cut the little tab off (that's supposed to be glued in between wing halves) so I can install those parts later. (you'll see what I mean if you encounter one of their kits).

Far as I know, Dragon has the only "good" 110. The Revell is pretty typical, old school Revell.

Academy's F-18C and D are AMAZING!!!! built them both.

• Members

109 (the Drago Emil is the way to go, no?)

For the Emil yes, but don't discount the Eduard kit either, it's actually a very nice kit.  For the F on up Hasegawa is about the best option, the Trumpeter are OK but suffer from all the mistakes of the Haseagawa kits while introducing several of their own.

P-40 (I understand the trump kit is not so good...any other to watch for)

The Trumpy P-40 is really not that bad and really the only game in town for a B/C, it does need a new cockpit but unless you're super critical it's a decent kit.  Later models it's all Hasegawa which are nice kits.

P-47 (see p-40)

A toss up here I think, Matt, Dave and Rick all have WIP going on the P-47 so check those out.

Me 262

Trumpeter, one of their best kits for sure.

Bf 110

The Dragon kits are excellent.

Any WW2 Navy stuff (the ***cats, SBM, TBMs, etc etc...will wait for Tamiya Corsair)

P-38

Once again Trumpeter.  I don't think anyone makes a modern Hellcat.  Of course the Tamiya Corsair will be king of the hill.

What should I look for...in other words..what cherry 32nd kits are out there? feel free to offer suggestions for ANY kit you like or that is especially good.

Anything by Tamiya is excellent, P-51, Spitfire, Zero.  Anything new tool by Hasegawa will be a solid kit too, their Japanese aircraft are great as well as their 190's, the Dora is really a good kit.  Revell's Ju 88 and He 111 are great too, the He 219 suffers from some inaccuracies but is a great value and looks good when built up.

Bf 109E - The Dragon is indeed very good. I like the Eduard too, I think the Dragon is somewhat better in terms of moulding but the decals, wow!!!

Bf 109F - I have the Hasegawa kit on the table. It is simpler than the Dragon -E but better detailed than the Hasegawa G's and K.

Bf 109G-K - The Hasegawa. Gives a very nice result straight from the box. Is actually quite simple. Misses some details that you need to add; brake lines some cockpit details, nothing dramatic. Loads of aftermarket available.

P-40B/C - Trumpeter made some strange decisions. The cockpit is much too shallow, get a resin replacement cockpit set. AFAIK, the rest is actually quite good. Loads of rivets but if you don't like those they're easily enough filled with Mr. Surfacer 500...

P-40E-N - Hasegawa. Great kits that give a very good result straight from the box.  

Me -262A - The Trumpeter kit is very nice. Enough aftermarket to be had to satisfy anyone. Also very nice straight from the box.

Bf 110C/D - As you can see on the WIP's here the Dragon kit is very nice. The instructions aren't. Good result to be had straight from the box, Eduard has PE, Master has turned brass barrels. Get EagleCals decals for them.

F8F Bearcat - The Trumpeter kit is nice, there is a mix-up with the exhaust stacks, but I'm not sure anymore if the F8F-1 or the F8F-2 is correct?... Aires has a very nice cockpit set and wheel bay set.

SBD Dauntless - The Trumpeter kit is very good. Inspired by the 1/48 Accurate Miniatures kit? Get aftermarket decals.

P-38 - The Trumpeter kit is actually quite good! The cockpit can do with extra detailing. Not too much on the market as decals etc. go, unfortunately. Sadly, I don't see too many built on shows etc.

I don't have the Trumpeter Bf 109E, Me 262B, Hellcat, Wildcat and TBM in my stash, so can't comment on them firsthand

• Like 2

Guest styrenedemon

Thanks everyone. Besides the Spit I really want a P-40 most of all...I'm not all too detail crazy...I'm more concerned with fit issues than anything. I'd prefer an E which I see Hasegawa does. So that's a fairly good kit?

Academy's F-18C and D are AMAZING!!!! built them both.

Ugh...I had the C...bought it the second they hit the LHS a few years ago....was one of my kits lost during Ike

To some extent it depends on your budget ... the Zoukei-Mura P-51 or Skyraider are both superb ... loads of additional detail built in that won't be seen (but that doesn't matter because YOU know it's there).

I agree with Mike ... Revell's He-111 and Ju-88 are almost a requirement to do in 1/32nd as are Tamiya's Spitfires.   Trumpeter's MiG-3 builds up into an interesting subject as does their Swordfish.

More modern stuff (winged blow-torches) - Trumpeter's MiG 29M Fulcrum rates quite high.

Oh, and anything else in my shop !!   :D  :D  B)

Guest styrenedemon

To some extent it depends on your budget ... the Zoukei-Mura P-51 or Skyraider are both superb ... loads of additional detail built in that won't be seen (but that doesn't matter because YOU know it's there).

I agree with Mike ... Revell's He-111 and Ju-88 are almost a requirement to do in 1/32nd as are Tamiya's Spitfires.   Trumpeter's MiG-3 builds up into an interesting subject as does their Swordfish.

More modern stuff (winged blow-torches) - Trumpeter's MiG 29M Fulcrum rates quite high.

Oh, and anything else in my shop !!   :D  :D  B)

Thanks for reminding me of the ZM Skyraider! SWMBOs favorite airplane....and one of mine too, and I've been wanting to do one. I'll pass on the P-51 since I'm doing Tamiya's, but I'm considering some of their figures.

I have nothing against the Eduard 109's. They build into great models with some careful work. The DML 109's are superb too.

Yes, I know the Eduard 109s are equally nice and will grab one in a heartbeat if a DML one isn't available, or the price difference is a factor. 

HK's B-25!

Yeah, I can tell from yours that that's a nice kit. I'm just not crazy enough about the B-25 to have to try and find somewhere to put it. Especially since I WILL be buying a Fort (given they do an F or Early G).

Thanks everyone. Besides the Spit I really want a P-40 most of all...I'm not all too detail crazy...I'm more concerned with fit issues than anything. I'd prefer an E which I see Hasegawa does. So that's a fairly good kit?

Ugh...I had the C...bought it the second they hit the LHS a few years ago....was one of my kits lost during Ike

The Hasegawa P-40E kit and it's derivatives (K-N) are really very good. You can make a very, VERY nice model from it straight from the box. As it's engineered to make different versions of it you have to add panels and the like here and there which are Mark-specific. If you are careful and test-fit, check if punchmarks aren't too heavy and if the contact areas are really smooth, you shouldn't have any problems with the kit. But this is something one should do with ALL kits. The rear cockpit windows are engineered more intelligently than on the 1/48 kits.

Oh Yea!! Fantastic Kit!

Here is mine -

113.jpg

And Matts -

file-170.jpg

Oh, Wow!!  :unworthy:

These are REALLY stunning! And that's something I don't write quite often... The WIP's are on LSM? I'm going to look for them immediately!