Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

KH Northrop F-5N Tiger II WIP

Guest DannyVM

Guest DannyVM
15 hours ago, coolboxx said:

Great going Danny really like the extras. 

Thank's mate.:thumbsup2:

11 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

Looking stellar, Danny!

Thank's Ernie.:thumbsup2:

2 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Great job on the pit, Danny!

While we're at it...
Gelukkige verjaardag! Happy 50th! party emote

Thank's Ivan.:thumbsup2:

And thank's for the birthday wishes :)

Guest DannyVM

Today i received my Furball decals:book: I immediately started to look for a suitable color scheme, keeping in mind the needed update's that where pointed out in Ivan his previous post in this topic.

First thing to say, the Furball decal sheet depicts 12 different color scheme's, from the early ( 70's ) models to the late (80's ) models.

E9ix0rJl.jpg

First thing to say, i'm not gonna build a pré 1982 machine just because i don't have the early Northrop ejection seat to my disposal. So it will be a late model of the F-5E.

Here are my favourites

Both look very stunning, they have both the 'Shark nose' and the larger leading edge extension modifications.

UQOlJhjl.jpg

F-5E serial ° 162307, also a nice looking color scheme. Same as above mentioned.

LlCVR7vl.jpg

But my all time favourite are these guy's........ Equipped with the early nose radome, which is no problem at all. Still, improved ejection seat would be all ready installed?? But what about the leading edge extension modification.......Ivan????

HuzVBdul.jpg

Greetz

Danny

6 hours ago, DannyVM said:

(...)
But my all time favourite are these guy's........ Equipped with the early nose radome, which is no problem at all. Still, improved ejection seat would be all ready installed?? But what about the leading edge extension modification.......Ivan????
(...)

Affirmative, the 1982 decal options had the Northrop Improved Seat retrofitted. During 1981/1982, all US-operated (USAF/NAVY/MARINES) F-5E/F models had the early seats replaced. During the same period, USAF aircraft went through a more extensive upgrade programm. But that's a different story.

Original LERX versus Enlarged LERX:
Furball is your friend. 

Shark Nose/Enlarged LERX (Kitty Hawk):

TmHektn.jpg

Aircraft with original radome and LERX configuration:
Do you spot the difference? Different artwork for different configuration standards.

u1w8jRD.jpg

Common to all Naval Fighter Weapons School F-5E/F aircraft:

• No RWR blisters/fairings whatsoever
  • No vertical tail VOR/ILS antenna
  • No canopy ECS vent
  • No fuselage spine ADF blade antenna
  • No ventral chaff/flare dispenser

HTH

• Like 1

Guest DannyVM
9 hours ago, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Affirmative, the 1982 decal options had the Northrop Improved Seat retrofitted. During 1981/1982, all US-operated (USAF/NAVY/MARINES) F-5E/F models had the early seats replaced. During the same period, USAF aircraft went through a more extensive upgrade programm. But that's a different story.

Original LERX versus Enlarged LERX:
Furball is your friend. 

Shark Nose/Enlarged LERX (Kitty Hawk):

TmHektn.jpg

Aircraft with original radome and LERX configuration:
Do you spot the difference? Different artwork for different configuration standards.

u1w8jRD.jpg

Common to all Naval Fighter Weapons School F-5E/F aircraft:

• No RWR blisters/fairings whatsoever
  • No vertical tail VOR/ILS antenna
  • No canopy ECS vent
  • No fuselage spine ADF blade antenna
  • No ventral chaff/flare dispenser

HTH

Wow thank's mate, you are really a reference on your own.:thumbsup2: It sound's maybe stupid, but i stared myself blind trying to figure out the difference between the early and late LERX........:hsmack:Now i see it........i blame on the age......:D

5 hours ago, NigelR32 said:

Pulled up my chair, got some vbeer and popcorn.. 

My choice would be seventh from the top, looks like a proper aggressor to me..

Good taste Nigel, was my first choice to, but this is an early F-5E. This one needs the early Northrop ejection seat and that i don't have at the moment. Maybe for another project. Thank's for the interest.

21 hours ago, DannyVM said:

(...)
It sound's maybe stupid, but i stared myself blind trying to figure out the difference between the early and late LERX........:hsmack:Now i see it........i blame on the age......:D
(...)

Sounds pretty familiar to me. I'm an outspoken expert at not seeing the forest from the trees...  B)

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Another glitch in the Matrix - Gun Gas Purge System:
(kit parts E52/E53)

Sloppy Hawk replicated the gun gas purge doors in OPEN position. These doors will ONLY deploy upon gun firing. 

yBedbxB.jpg

dLr3DZj.jpg

It's an easy fix.
Just sand down the lateral flanks and gently bend down the remaining intake and vent flaps to achieve a flush installation.

Guest DannyVM
On 3/22/2019 at 9:12 AM, Ivan Ivanovich said:

Sloppy Hawk replicated the gun gas purge doors in OPEN position. These doors will ONLY deploy upon gun firing. 

Yep Ivan, this one i all ready notice it. I've got some very clear reference photo's of a Swiss machine, and this was something that took my attention. 

On 3/22/2019 at 9:12 AM, Ivan Ivanovich said:

It's an easy fix.
Just sand down the lateral flanks and gently bend down the remaining intake and vent flaps to achieve a flush installation.

Nice tip, i will surely give it a try, thank's mate.

:thumbsup2:

Guest DannyVM

Ok guy's, time for a update. I was a little in doubt, whether or not to open de gun bay area's. Finally, why not, let's give it a try, and i'm quit happy with the result.:D

For the gun bay area's i used some Eduard pe, not much, but enough to make the difference.

1lfompOl.jpg

hg8KEP9l.jpg

After everything was glued and ready for painting, i used the new AK real color black which i received together with the Tirpitz book i ordered from AK directly. A nice present, so i give it a try and i was very pleased with the result.

gk1y9BPl.jpg

Next thing to do, giving the gun bay it's grey base color.

wQwHm8sl.jpg

Details are painted with a mix of Alclad, MRP and Vallejo colors.

zKdvhGol.jpg

5RiAyFRl.jpg

bbW0Gssl.jpg

Finally a wash was added, for this i used the Tamiya brown panel line wash.

rcfAT3vl.jpg

OzucffNl.jpg

xuOIKMIl.jpg

y7Q0ZBSl.jpg

Greetz

Danny

Guest DannyVM
3 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Danny, stunning as ever......I so long for some quality benchtime.....

Thank's Phil. At the moment i have some day's free from work, so these are used to the limit mate. This evening they play the movie 'Top Gun' on the national tv screen, so we can refill our battery's again with some 'need for speed' onto the modeling table......:popcorn: