The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya, your top 5 upscaled 1/48 to 1/35 armour.

I'll pass. I know people like Tamiya's 'shake and bake' construction for their armor but I am less than pleased that they make some detail concessions for this and they don't carry a broad range of variants within a type, specifically the German armor.

That and the fact that there are actually very few German vehicles they make in 1/48 that I don't already own in 1/35 courtesy of Dragon, Bronco, Hobby Boss, Trumpeter, Amusing Hobbies, AFV Club, Takom, RFM, Meng, ICM, and Zvezda. Seriously, do they have 220+ German WWII kits in 1/48?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Does any company? 

I'm in the same boat really!! ...

The only reason I started buying Tamiya 1/35 in the first place is because I used to buy their F1 cars when I had a 2yr dabble into modelling 1988-90 ... I got so far back into the hobby - but then let it go again ... spewing ... because I had a lovely pair of Edinberger Ford Cosworth Sierras - Gloss black with the high vis orange Texaco decals and a couple of Awesome Ferraris alongside Benneton Ford's and Senna and Alian Prost's McLaren Honda's ... all gone!! My prize was a Lotus Honda in Camel cigarettes logos that Senna used to drive before McLaren.

I digress ... Once I started doing my research into 1/35 ... about 2009-10 ... ALL my Tamiya kits became redundant (The unstarted ones will be up for sale shortly once my stash audit is done). Dragon make everything - and better ... the only thing that ticked me off is when Dragon switched to DS tracks instead of those awesome Magic Track links. And now ... we also have AFV, RFM, Meng and Takom.

Tamiya for 1/32 A/C ... and F1 (plus other) cars ... but nothing else I'm afraid.

Rog :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Does any company? 

Dragon is very close mostly because they started doing more specific production runs of certain panzers, like Panzer IV's built from October to November of a year and crap like that, where there were really only a few changes from the neighboring production runs.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, [CAT]CplSlade said:

Dragon is very close mostly because they started doing more specific production runs of certain panzers, like Panzer IV's built from October to November of a year and crap like that, where there were really only a few changes from the neighboring production runs.

Wow! I had no idea. I imagine it is all up to Dragon's usual excellence. 

Thank so much.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Wow! I had no idea. I imagine it is all up to Dragon's usual excellence. 

Thank so much.

At the height of production we we getting between 4 & 6 new variants in 1/35 ... per month!!

Ridiculous by anyones standard.

But I got just about every conceivable Pz.III chassis available from the 'E' onward.

Think of a WWII AFV in 1/35 ... and odds on Dragon popped out a kit for it!

Rog :)

• Like 1