The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

This is for Jeff

THANKS , Ron..... Yes the 377AE walk in sleeper makes the difference.... for sure and looks perfect as she sits, nice head ache rack too.... lower cab fenders are sure different on the 377 eh? A local fellow had a 377 as a gravel truck here for a long time, the only one around here for sure..... I think it has gone out to pasture now, but he had it a long time...... looking forward to more, Ron

• Like 3

The 1/24 Italeri Mack Superliner kit and the 1/24 truck accessories kit showed up today.

Italeri-3820-2.jpgthis is the basic kit, there will be alot of changes made to it to make it into a Aussie road train hauler!

20210312_170919.jpgthis view shows the truck accessories kit. I purchased this to get the rear Mack 6 spoke wheels for the Mack Superliner.

hqdefault.jpgthis view shows the Mack E9 that I'm adding to the Mack. YES,...I bought a bunch of stuff from Auslowe model trucks, shh!!!...don't tell the wife, I don't want to be the next Bobbet!...lol

unnamed (1).jpgthis view shows the Bulldog I'm going to hand paint on the back of the sleeper. I need to come up with a name,  I was thinking of "Tasmanian Devel Dog.

20210312_171612.jpgthis view shows the frame for the Western Star, but it's the same as the Mack's except it will be right hand drive.

20210312_171517.jpgthis view shows the front 385/65-R22.5 on a widened Mack 6 spoke wheel.

20210312_171540.jpgthis view shows the rear 315/80-R22.5 on custom made Mack 6 spoke wheels. I had to add a outer rim to the chrome outer wheel and I got the inner rear wheels from the 1/24 Italeri European tractors tyres and rims kit, that's where the tires came from. Yeah I had to take parts from three different kits to make these, but I think they look pretty cool.

20210312_171456.jpgview from the top. Well that's it for now be back soon with more.

Ron G 

• Like 5

Hey guys 

Here's the final art work for the mural Jeff. I'm going to add a round tag under his collar that will be red with a white "U" on it.

20210314_190933.pngI also did some work on the Mack Superliner cab interior. I took the left hand drive dash from the Western Star and cut it up to fit in the Mack. It's not as wide and way deeper then the original dash for the Mack, but after some plastic magic...lol it fits great.

20210314_173528.jpgthis view shows the Mack interior with the driver figure that I kit bashed together. I also removed the arm rests from the two seats snd added them to the driver's seat in the down position, the passenger will not have them. This was not easily done, I had to cut the boots off of one set of legs in order to add them to the seated set of legs, after I removed the feet with the sandals off of those. I put the torso withe the cowboy hat onto these, then I added the arms from the seated figure to the final figure. After this I had to use a soldering iron to heat the arms and legs to bend them into position...wheh!:hsmack::)

20210314_173216.jpgthis view shows the driver figure in the driving position.

20210314_173150.jpgcloser view of the driver. He actually looks a little like me...lol

20210314_173303.jpgthis view shows that his hands are on the steering wheel.

20210314_173330.jpgthis view shows that he just barely fits in the cab. I had to lower the seat mechanism and make a depression in the roof interior panel to make this work.

20210314_173236.jpgthis view from the rear shows that his feet sit on the fuel and brake pedals.

20210314_173555.jpgthis view shows that his right foot sits on the clutch.pedal. well that's it for now be back with more updates soon.

Ron G 

• Like 6

Hey Jeff 

I just purchased this for parts on the Mack Superliner build.

20210315_101524.jpgI just found out after some deep research on the net that Renault used Mack E9's in there trucks and French military vehicles. Makes sense since they owned Mack at the time.

20210315_101635.jpgthis view shows the sprue from the 3902 kit. As you can see, poorly I admit, heres my Mack E9 engine, not sure about the trans, I don't know what they used.

20210315_101655.jpgcloser view of the engine block and heads. Mack also collaborated with Scania on there V8 engines, but they use individual cylinder heads (8 total heads) where Renault/Mack have twin heads (4 total heads).

20210315_101749.jpgthis view shows that they used Mack suspension, or one almost identical to it.

20210315_101823.jpgcloser view of the suspension. That's it for now be back soon with more.

Ron G 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wow, that's cool, Ron and a good amount of research as well...... the Mack Camel Back suspension is some of the best in the biz......... Personally I have never been much into European trucks, and I have no idea why, as some of their iron is fabulous.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all 

I got a MPC 1/25 Mack DM800 for some parts to use on my Aussie Mack Superliner build. I spliced the front and rear sections of the DM800 frame with a section out of the Italeri 1/24 Mack Superliner frame to make a proper Superliner Ii frame that's a 230" W.B.  I modified the front axle from the Superliner kit along with a piece from the DM800 front axle and got a 4" (scale) wider drop center Mack axle, kind of. It's not perfect but it's good enough for me. Here are some pictures.

20210323_180026.jpgthis view shows the bottom of the completed frame.

20210323_175812.jpgthis view is of the top of the frame.

20210323_175902.jpgclose up view of the front of the frame and front suspension.

20210323_175836.jpgclose up view of the rear of the frame and the support pivot bracket for the camel back rear suspension 

20210323_180336.jpgthis view shows the modified front axle. I had to modify the DM800 front springs to get them in the correct position for a Superliner II frame.

20210323_175518.jpgthis view shows the cab and hood sitting on the frame.

20210323_175932.jpgthis view shows the modifications I had to make to the hood to fit the external Aussie air cleaners. They are from the Western Star Australian truck kit by Italeri. Well that's it for now be back soon with more updates.

Ron G 

• Like 3

Excellent engineering, Ron................. the only thing I don't really care for with Itlaeri trucks is the black plastic... some how I just can't warm to it, although I have many Italeri trucks in the stash that are on the build list to do.... I LOVE their subject matter.....  keep gong Ron, I'm watching with great interest.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

I'm confused? What is it that you don't like about there black plastic. I don't find any problems with it, it's very similar to Evergreen black plastic sheet.

Ron G 

No, I am just an old fuddy duddy, and prefer the white plastic, I think I can see more detail or something in it, the black plastic works well, and is good to work with, I think if it were white, it would be easier to detail and finish, ie, IF I wanted to paint the frames red for example, I could just shoot red on the white frame rather than fart around priming etc..... I'm just not a real fan of colored plastic....