The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Yuck, compressor maintenance

BlrwestSiR

So with my workbench down/disassembled for the next biti thought I should take a look at my airbrush compressor. I've never really given it a second thought since it's just worked for the 30 years I've owned it. The moisture trap was a rusty colour until I realized it was full of rusty water. 

I opened the tank and this is what came out:

PXL_20210602_173246998.thumb.jpg.7c655089ce3ef1aa687dcda1120c73be.jpg

I ended up pouring about a litre of rusty water out of the tank.  

Guess I should've done this sooner. 

I'll see how it works after u get my bench back up and running.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

If you use CLR it will clear out the rust and convert the oxidation into a zinc coating.

Pretty good way we used to clean out Harley tanks.

Even better ;

It wont rust again after that.

Attention to the drain valve once and a while may help too...

Jus' sayin!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The problem is that rust means a weaker tank ... and gravity has concentrated the water at the bottom of the tank, which has rusted more, so the weaker and thinner metal is in this area.

There is a significant risk to keep using a 30-years old rusted tank with a pressure that goes up to 8 kg/cm2. The risk is real of an explosion, and that means shrapnel flying in a closed room. Not something I’d like to experience ...

Hubert

• Like 3

Thanks guys. The thought of the rust weakening the tank has crossed my mind. It looks to be fairly thick so I should be ok. There's also the case around it should something happen. 

I've have a second compressor which I haven't used yet. With my future bench setup, I should have easier access to both so that will make it easier to switch between the two. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, krow113 said:

lol

easy there Hubert!

Do you work for an insurance company?

If it went it would be a minimal split or pinhole.

But really , really , really unlikely!

Fair point on the way it could fracture.
And no, I don’t work for an insurance company, but own an industrial one, where testing the compressed air tank every 10 years is a regulatory obligation. And, even with an automatic purge system, I just changed the tank before its 30th birthday, together with the compressor.

Hubert

• Like 5

I've owned more then a few model/air brush compressors over the years and most lasted about 5 years or so. My last compressor before purchasing the Iwata setup, failed with a small air leak/crack in the air tank and as soon as I discovered it, in the trash it went.

I try to clean the compressor air tank our once a year which flushes out the accumulated rusty water. 

Keep 'em comin

Peter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So a quick update. I've been using the compressor after the cleanup without any issues until last night. Looks like a connection has popped somewhere as it's got a slow air leak. Not from the tank but I can't see/feel where it's coming from. It would seem I cursed it by doing that service on it.

Time for the spare to step in I guess. The old one is in the left. 

PXL_20210621_210356633.thumb.jpg.bd497fec0ef02ccc126b8694b463b0cb.jpg

• Like 1