Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya paint LP range difrence with the X range?

mark31

Tamiya LP colors are lacquer based, where x-colors are acrylic. I used the x-colors since years and really like them thinned with Mr. Levelling thinner, mostly with a fifty-fifty mix ratio.
For some car projects, I wanted an even more durable coating, which is promised with the LP-colors and they behaved great. Sprayed heavily thinned with a ratio 2/3 thinner and 1/3 color, they spray ultrasmooth and are very robust. I use Tamiya lacquer thinner or Mr. Levelling thinner for the LP's
The downside is, they are more expensive, because they run trough the airbrush like Alclad, they smell worse than the X-colors and the range of colours is much smaller, specially, when it comes to camo colors.
I discovered them with my Ford GT build and to me, that's where they belong, primarily cars and motorcycles and maybe NMF for planes

Cheers Rob

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DocRob said:

Tamiya LP colors are lacquer based, where x-colors are acrylic. I used the x-colors since years and really like them thinned with Mr. Levelling thinner, mostly with a fifty-fifty mix ratio.
For some car projects, I wanted an even more durable coating, which is promised with the LP-colors and they behaved great. Sprayed heavily thinned with a ratio 2/3 thinner and 1/3 color, they spray ultrasmooth and are very robust. I use Tamiya lacquer thinner or Mr. Levelling thinner for the LP's
The downside is, they are more expensive, because they run trough the airbrush like Alclad, they smell worse than the X-colors and the range of colours is much smaller, specially, when it comes to camo colors.
I discovered them with my Ford GT build and to me, that's where they belong, primarily cars and motorcycles and maybe NMF for planes

Cheers Rob

Thanks for the info

And yes the plan whas to use it for my car builds

Mark