The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Airfix 1:72nd scale Vulcan B Mk.2

sandbagger

Hi all,
If you've followed any of my builds you'll know I build specifically 1:32nd scale WW1 aircraft.
However, a friend of mine was a crew chief on No.44 Squadron, RAF, operating the Vulcan B.Mk.2 from RAF Waddington, Lincolshire in the UK.
He retired from the RAF, like me, a long time ago and I'm building this as a surprise for his birthday later this year.

So far the basic model, less canopy and landing gear has be built and primed ready for painting.
I wanted to display the aircraft taking off.
To that end I modified the inboard engine nozzles and the front and rear spars to accept 8 mm diameter acrylic rod.
Two lengths of the rod were heated and bent to the required angles.
The base board is 18 mm thick MDF which has been routed around the edges to accept the clear acrylic display cover.
I've drilled into, but not through the base to accepts the two acrylic rods.
Eventually the case will be wax polished around the edges, with a felt underside.
The top of the base will be inset with the embroidered Squadron arm patch with coloured lapel pins of 23 mm diameter, representing the 10 Squadron that flew this aircraft.

I just hope the recipient has room in his bungalow for the entire thing, or I'll be looking for another hole for it!!

Mike

XH562.jpg

base1.jpg

base2.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all,
The Avro Vulcan served in the RAF from 1956 until 1984.
The standard red/white/blue roundels and fin flashes were used until the 1970's, when the roundels were changed for camouflaged aircraft, including the Vulcan in its low level conventional bombing role. 
These were the red/blue only roundels and fin flashes.
I'm building a No.44 Squadron aircraft from the 1970's onward.
This squadron operated the Vulcan from August 1960 until December 1982, when they were disbanded.
The decals supplied with the kit have only one wing roundel (camouflage scheme), which is the red/blue type.
The following photograph is of four No.44 Squadron Vulcan's practicing over RAF Waddington for their disbandment ceremony in 1982.
It clearly shows these aircraft with a red/blue roundel on both wings, not just the port wing, with fin flashes of the same colour.
I would suggest anyone building this model researches the particular time period and squadron markings for their model, to ensure the correct type of markings are applied.

Mike

disband.jpg

roundels.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all,
The basic airframe has been built and painted.
The underside was Tamiya White (XF2) with Deck Tan (XF55) added to dull it down.
Flory dark dirt applied then gloss coated to seal everything, using Alclad Aqua Gloss 600.
The upper surfaces were Tamiya Medium Grey (XF83 and Dark Green (XF62).
I found the mask 'TopNotch' (TNM72-M185) set not of much use.
In the end I masked the camouflage to surfaces with thin cut strips of Tamiya masking, in-filled with 18 or 6 mm masking tape.

I've yet to coat and weather the top surfaces then its the decals, landing gear and probes etc to fit.
I'm not sure as yet whether to use the Airfix decal or those in the KitsWorld set.
I think Airfix based their decals on the only surviving all anti-flash white Vulcan B.Mk2, which is on static display at Woodford.
I think the stencil markings on camouflaged Vulcan were darker? 
The model is the conventional bomber version which will be in the take-off position,

Mike

v1.jpg

v2.jpg

• Like 6

Hi all,
Here's the finished Vulcan.
'Flory Models' grey clay wash over the upper surfaces, Dark Dirt on the underside and landing gear.
Sealed with 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311).
I also used 'Tamiya' weathering master (soot and oil) around some parts and decals.
I've also added a couple of antenna that are included in the kit and the upper navigation light.

Now it's onto completing the display base,

Mike

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

done3.jpg

done4.jpg

• Like 7

Hi Peter,

I'm no photographer and  just take the shots using an Ipad.

The model has only had a clear coat of light sheen, so the colours are essentially the unaltered.

I think the lighting also affects the look of the colouring.

In fact looking at the actual model compared to the photos, they all look different 🥴,

Mike 

• Like 2

Very display of one of the most impressive bombers ever built.

One question from an ignoramus : shouldn’t the main LG boggie be parallel to the ground just after take-off, and return to perpendicular to the MLG trunk when the retraction sequence is initiated ?

Hubert

PS: got my answer by doing a quick search. It’s neither, nor ;) . It looks like the articulation of the boggie to the main trunk is forward of the boggie center, and the rear wheels of the boggie are just « hanging » by gravity and being lower than the front ones when not on the ground.

https://www.alamyimages.fr/photos-images/avro-vulcan-landing.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
I shouldn't build more than one model at a time!!
I built the Vulcan B Mk.2 while still working on the Salmson 2-A2 model.
Someone on another forum spotted that I'd placed the Vulcan's left wing roundel too far inboard and that the jet pipes should be the longer version for the 201 series engine.
I can remove and replace the roundel.
However, the shorter jet pipes that are currently fitted form part of the mounting for the acrylic support rods.
Fortunately I kept the correct kit parts, but whether I can replace the existing jet pipes is debatable.

This is a case where I didn't see the wood for the trees!!

Mike 

• Like 2

Hi all,
For those interested in the Vulcan, a quick update.
To replace the jet pipes with the correct, longer versions.
It's strange how 'Airfix' provide these parts, but there's no mention of them in the assembly instructions.
All other model variations are shown, but only the shorter jet pipes are shown?
Anyway, as the shorter jet pipes were already fitted and part of the wing structure, I chose not to try cutting them out and replacing the entire assemblies.
Instead, I built the outer casings of the longer jet pipes, but without the inner jet pipes (internal jet pipes were already fitted).
I then separated the four pipes and marked, then cut away the casing leaving 7 mm from the rear edges.
These were then cemented onto the rear of the existing casings.
This means the acrylic rods used to support the model from inside the two inner engines still works.
I've yet to add the exterior plates around the front of each casing, which I'll do using thin plastic card.
Then it a case of painting them.

As for the re-positioning of the left roundel - I've received a replacement set of decals.
The previous roundel has been sanded off, so I just need to mask and paint that camouflaged area and weather it to match the surrounding area.   
Then I can apply the roundel, in the correct position this time then final clear coat,

Mike

pipes.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all,
Here's my completed model of Avro Vulcan B.Mk.2, Serial No:XM573 of No.44 (Rhodesia) Squadron.
The squadron was reformed in 1960 at Royal Air Force Waddington in Lincolnshire, UK, initially operating the Vulcan B Mk.1 from August 1960 then converting in January 1961 to the Vulcan B Mk.1a. 
The Vulcan's were operated as high-altitude bombers as part of the UK's strategic nuclear deterrent.
In 1964,and due to the use of Soviet Surface to Air Missiles (SAMs), the Vulcan became vulnerable and their role was changed to low level penetration bombing.
In 1968 the squadron was equipped with eight of the B Mk.2 versions, which carried the WE177 'laydown' bombs.
In 1969 the Royal Navy took over the UK's role for nuclear deterrent and the Vulcan force was assigned to SACEUR, for the support of land forces.
In this role conventional weapons would have been used with the option to convert to nuclear weapons should the situation on the ground escalate. 
The squadron served in this role until 1982, when their Vulcans were involved flying combat missions during the Falklands War.
The squadron was eventually disbanded in December 1982.

The model is the new release in 1:72nd scale by Airfix.
The decal markings are partly from the 'Kits World' (KW172214) set.
Paints used were primarily 'Tamiya' acrylic:
    Camouflage - RAF Medium Sea Grey (XF83) and RAF Dark Green (XF81).
    Anti-flash white - White (XF2) with added Buff (XF57).
    'Flory' Dark Dirt wash for panel line wash and 'Alclad' Light Sheen (ALC-311) used for final sealing.
Display base:
    18mm thick MDF with routed profile edges and 8mm diameter holes for the model support rods. Sealed and painted matte-black with felt pads on the underside.
    8mm diameter acrylic rod heat bent as support rods into the modified internal structure of the Vulcan model.    
    Top surface is 2mm thick black Perspex, bored through to accept the ten squadron badges, the two acrylic support rods and black edge screws.
    Ten 25mm diameter lapel badges, representing the Vulcan squadrons, with the rear face clamping pins removed and filed flat.
    A woven No.44 Squadron patch.
    A clear acrylic cover fits over the display as protection against dust or damage.

Please excuse the quality of the photographs - not that great.

Mike

vdone1.jpg

vdone2.jpg

vdone3.jpg

vdone4.jpg

vdone5.jpg

vdone6.jpg

• Like 2