Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Spitfire experts please!

Artful69

Hello ...

With the absence of a Do-17z and a Boulton Paul Defiant (in IM or Resin - in case some smart alec suggests Vac, paper or scratch building!) ... and - largely promted by research done to post on another thread elsewhere - my thoughts for a BoB Spitfire in 1/32 start to emerge ...

Mk.I & II options are acceptable (along with a & b variants of those). I know there's the Revell Mk.II on the way - but God only knows when thats getting here!

The re-released Mk.I from Revell (#00021 circa 2010) is readily available - and cheap ... a new canopy is needed (apparently) with a small dash of AM (office & wheels) and I'm told it will build up decently.

I'm no Spitfire expert, so please excuse me if I'm way off here - but can the Hobby Boss Mk.Vb be retrograded back to an earlier Mk.I or II 'b' ????

Rog smile.png

Thanks for the input guys ...

Yep, feedback is that the HB is a poor effort of a Mk.Vb at any rate. Lord only knows when the Revell new tool will get here! ... meanwhile the 2010 re-release scrubs up decently with AM I think ...

I may just wait!

Rog :)

I don't think its a bad kit... just poor research/mistakes, these mistakes could be address by getting someone in the know to have a look at the CAD work prior...

End of the day... It still looks like a Spitfire Vb!

Ok fellas ... again, thanks for the input ... the overwhelmingly, most simplistic option is to get the Revell/Hasegawa Mk.I ...

Which is what I did, today, from Canada (along with a rare-as-rocking-horse-poo Hasegawa FW190F-8 ... my original purchase) ...

The deal was: I could pay full price for the F-8 OR ... buy the second kit - the Spit and score 20% of the total price! ... basicly this amounted to an extra $14.65 CAD for the spit - or about $15.50 AUD! ... Not bad eh?

This is the re-released kit ... which will need a bit of AM (Canopy, Cockpit, Wheels ... Maybe Exhausts & Prop/Spinner)

EDIT: After finding out much to my chargrin, that this kit IS NOT the edition that I thought it was ... I contacted my seller in double quick time and swapped it over - for a Hasegawa Bf109F-4 "Priller" Secial ed. ... I still get my 'two-kit-discount' of 20% with the Hasegawa FW109F-8 :)

Revell00021_zpsa467e400.jpg

Rog :)

Rog,

This is is the ancient kit, but I was always impressed by the amazing surface detail at the time.

The tailsurfaces have large hinges that are meant to operate the rudder/ elevators, but are fictional.

The wing underside lacks the gull wingsection. The ailerons are very thick, especially the trailing edges.

It needs work but can be made in a good model.

Cees

Rog,

This is is the ancient kit, but I was always impressed by the amazing surface detail at the time.

The tailsurfaces have large hinges that are meant to operate the rudder/ elevators, but are fictional.

The wing underside lacks the gull wingsection. The ailerons are very thick, especially the trailing edges.

It needs work but can be made in a good model.

Cees

Thanks for the input Cees ...

But after learning (from another source) that this was NOT the kit that I thought it was ... I cancelled this order and swapped it out with a Bf109F-4 "Priller" Special Ed. I will wait on the new tool Revell coming later! :)

Patience grasshopper.

... yes ... I will not try to bend the spoon ...

Spoon boy: Do not try and bend the spoon - that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth.

Neo: What truth?

Spoon boy: There is no spoon.

Neo: There is no spoon?

Spoon boy: Then you will see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

... I shall wait for the new tool Revell kit ... lesson learned!

Rog :D