The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/48 GWH Mug-29 9-13. Maybe The Ghost of Kyiv. Каворкник

• Clunkmeister changed the title to GWH Mug-29 9-13. The Ghost of Kyiv 1/48 piloted by Aviation Captain Каворкник
  • Administrators

Was sticking a few bits together today. 

I need to modify the color choices on my K-36. 
That seT is a pain to build. About 20 pieces, where a simple resin seat would be so much more easily dealt with. But, it has all the detail

F15F3A54-7D0C-4B96-A2DF-EC0843743B20.jpeg

3AB9CC9A-601F-48EF-8089-4F05A2AF1119.jpeg

• Like 6

Yeah , this is probably (hopefully) the most painful part. I had quite a bit of fun with the seat as well, at the end completely omitting the metal parts and played with tape and putty. Resin would be nice for sure.

• Like 3

• Administrators
On 3/13/2022 at 12:51 AM, Martinnfb said:

Yeah , this is probably (hopefully) the most painful part. I had quite a bit of fun with the seat as well, at the end completely omitted the metal parts and played with tape and putty. Resin would be nice for sure.

I just got a Brassin K36 in the mail.  I’m gonna take a look at it as well.  Man I’m not used to 1/48. I need an elektron microscope to see anything. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I actually looked at it today, absolute top of what plastic model could be, for me "unbuildable" :) .  GWH Mug is nicely balanced, between the level of detail and build-ability. Mind you, I am just an assembler.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Martinnfb said:

I actually looked at it today, absolute top of what plastic model could be, for me "unbuildable" :) .  GWH Mug is nicely balanced, between the level of detail and build-ability. Mind you, I am just an assembler.  

You? An ASSEMBLER?  Hahahahahahahaha. That is the biggest “untruth” I’ve heard since Jim Jones said “it’s just Koolaid”. 
You’re probably the best kitbasher I’ve ever met, and I’ve met a bunch. 

But I gotta say I’m loving this build. It’s simple and it fits great.  The web reviews would say otherwise, but this kit is a little gem.  Plus, according to the Fulcrum experts here, the shape is dead on accurate. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Administrators

A bit of progress today. I gave up on the kit seatbelts. They’re devilishly confusing, but Eduard again comes to the rescue.   The seat is really starting to look like one of Zvezda’s finest. 
A drop fit of the intakes finds superb fit here. That was the one single area the build reviews tagged as bad, but I, for one, foresee no problems 

09CF1106-CCB4-413D-90A9-41213D3070BD.jpeg

1885267D-78AF-492A-9D71-D087FA006A85.jpeg

• Like 7

Ernie and Martin, you are complaining about the seats and you build only single seaters :D. When I built the AMK Mig-31, I had twice the fun. Never understood the PE sequence for the belts and used resin seats, as the kit ones were way too large also.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Administrators
16 hours ago, DocRob said:

Ernie and Martin, you are complaining about the seats and you build only single seaters :D. When I built the AMK Mig-31, I had twice the fun. Never understood the PE sequence for the belts and used resin seats, as the kit ones were way too large also.

Cheers Rob

1/48 is an exercise in learning to mumble to myself. 
I’ve never understood why model manufacturers seem to have so much trouble getting a K36 right.  It’s in almost half of all the modern military aircraft out there, so it’s not like there’s none around. 
But kitmakers just seem to fight with it.

That is the kit seat there, but I broke down and used Eduard belts and harnesses. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, DocRob said:

Cheers Rob

Next build will be 31 converted to 3 seater  you cheeky you :)

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Clunkmeister said:

1/48 is an exercise in learning to mumble to myself. 
I’ve never understood why model manufacturers seem to have so much trouble getting a K36 right.  It’s in almost half of all the modern military aircraft out there, so it’s not like there’s none around. 
But kitmakers just seem to fight with it.

That is the kit seat there, but I broke down and used Eduard belts and harnesses. 

This was the seat comparison, I made at the time. Left: AMK Mig-31 kit, Right: Eduard Brassin from SU-27-UB - both 48 scale :D

IMG_6952.thumb.JPG.dd5340341cecdfca9c044d2be3975b07.JPG

This was my solution, Aires bang seats with pilots, as it also solved the prob of the seat belts.

IMG_7454.thumb.JPG.06103f4008b9f0d145ea756738995a10.JPG

You sometimes have to wonder about the tolerances in measurement in 48 scale.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

• Administrators

The kit seats almost look 1/32.   
Odd, considering how superb the kit is overall.

But it still begs the question; why all the issues with K36 bangseats?  There’s hundreds of thousands of them in service, they’re extremely well documented, and yet, it’s always the weakest point in a kit of a Russian aircraft 

• Like 6

• Clunkmeister changed the title to GWH Mug-29 9-13. The Ghost of Kyiv 1/48 Каворкник