The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

P-39 Cobra II ready for inspection

Another air racer done! Very colorful Special Hobby P-39Q modeled as "Cobra II" which won the Thompson Trophy in 1946. It's painted with Testors gloss yellow with black control surfaces. Markings are from Draw Decal which needed a couple of "adjustments". The name "Cobra II" was too large as were the NX registration numbers for the wings. I re-sized these and printed replacements using my laser printer. I had to modify a 3-blade spinner to take 4 blades which are from a Tamiya -1D corsair kit. Kind of unusual for the pitot tube to be on the nose plus there is a added air scoop under the fuselage which was added to the a/c to increase air flow to the engine. I didn't want to "dirty up" the model by adding exhaust stains but may change my mind at a later date. I hope you guys like the results of my efforts!:)  PLEASE CLICK ON THE FIRST IMAGE FOR BEST RESOLUTION AND TO VIEW PICS AS A SLIDE SHOW. :)

3-5-22 001.jpg

3-5-22 002.jpg

3-5-22 003.jpg

3-5-22 004.jpg

3-5-22 005.jpg

3-5-22 006.jpg

3-4-22 001.jpg

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, GusMac said:

Great result John. Looks like the Cobra II lettering was sized as though the black flashes on the nose weren't there.

Thanks Gus! Agreed, they were a little too big as were the NX numbers on the wings. I'm glad I have the needed equipment to re-size stuff, etc. :)

• Like 2

Fantastic build, John!  Definitely worth the kitbashing efforts.  I like the pitot tube in the nose.  Makes it look faster.  What do you cover your decals with once you print them?  They look nice and thin.  I've been using clear lacquer, but am looking for a better option.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Fantastic build, John!  Definitely worth the kitbashing efforts.  I like the pitot tube in the nose.  Makes it look faster.  What do you cover your decals with once you print them?  They look nice and thin.  I've been using clear lacquer, but am looking for a better option.

Thank you Gaz. I think it turned out quite well. I use 3 different Alclad Lacquers depending on the model and how I want it to finally look. On this one I used Alclad Klear Kote Semi-Matte. On others I might use Alclad Gloss Klear Kote or Alclad Clear Base. All work well for me (and they don't have to be thinned which is a plus). :)

2 hours ago, JohnB said:

Thank you Gaz. I think it turned out quite well. I use 3 different Alclad Lacquers depending on the model and how I want it to finally look. On this one I used Alclad Klear Kote Semi-Matte. On others I might use Alclad Gloss Klear Kote or Alclad Clear Base. All work well for me (and they don't have to be thinned which is a plus). :)

My apologies, John I didn't make myself clear.  What I meant to ask, was what did you spray over your home-printed decals once they were printed, but before you applied them to the model.

11 hours ago, GazzaS said:

My apologies, John I didn't make myself clear.  What I meant to ask, was what did you spray over your home-printed decals once they were printed, but before you applied them to the model.

I used Alclad Clear Gloss for that Gaz. :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

Stunning as ever John, always amazes me how flimsy the nose wheel assembly looks, i reckon a hard landing and you’re chewing that prop up……

Thanks Phil. I agree, especially with that new prop which barely clears the ground in the first place. :)

• Like 2