Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Takom Renault FT 1/16

Nieuport

Hello,

Here are my first pictures. I started with the engine but I still need more information about colours. According to someone in the tank museum of Saumur, it was completely painted in black except some element in copper. I will have a picture today. I don't like the "all black" option. As I saw some pictures with different colours, I will continue to search.

The parts fit well together, however some filling and sanding are required.

ft_gir10.jpg

ft_gir11.jpg

ft_gir12.jpg

To be continued ...

Eric

• Like 1

Hello,

As I still waiting for more information of the colour of the engine, I switched to the tracks assembly. There are 3 parts per link and 32 links per track !!!
ft_gir13.jpg

And on the wheel :
ft_gir14.jpg
ft_gir15.jpg

At the moment, 17 links are glued together, still some work to do :lol:

Eric

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

An other update, the engine looks more to an engine, now. Some parts are not glued yet to keep the painting process easier.

ft_gir16.jpg

ft_gir17.jpg

The gearbox :

ft_gir18.jpg

And just for fun, a fitting test of the engine and transmission :

ft_gir19.jpg

The adjustment of the parts is not at the Tamiya level but are good anyway. Some filling/sanding is necessary.

Eric

Edited by James H
removed the URL tags and replaced with [IMG} tags

• Administrators

Hi Eric,

That's looking great. Those seams were a little difficult to entirely remove eh? I know they were for me.

When you add the image to the post, use the direct image link in your image site, and post into the image button in your editor. An easier way is to use the IMG image links if your host generates them, then just paste into your post.

an example is this: 

[IMG]http://i57.servimg.com/u/f57/11/95/78/34/ft_gir18.jpg[/IMG]

Hello,

I finally sprayed a coat of primer on the parts, this allow to see better the imperfections ... and the parts ;)
It is not easy to work with this red plastic.
ft_gir20.jpg

And some parts in place, just to see :
ft_gir21.jpg

To be continued ...

Eric

• Like 2

• Administrators

I know what you mean about the plastic colour. While some say colour doesn't matter, the colour and qualities of it make it difficult to see if you've removed seams and sprue gate points. Even when you shave away tags, there is still a shadow exists that makes things difficult to gauge.

Still, I think it's a wonderful kit that fits real well. You're doing a great job with this and real trailblazing things for my own build. All I can say is 'thank you' ;)

Hello,

Thank you for your kind comments.
Now, I will present you the first real issue of this kit. It is the position of the rod which maintain the 2 caterpillar assembly (I hope that everybody will understand what I want to explain).
1st picture : the part fitted on the floor :
ft_gir22.jpg

Then a test with the side of the body. It cannot be placed in good position, the rod is about 1mm too low :
ft_gir23.jpg

So, I filled in the floor with plastic card :
ft_gir24.jpg

And then, glued the rod in place. The assembly is weaker but the fitting is possible :
ft_gir25.jpg

That proves (if it was still necessary) that the fitting test is always necessary.

I also finished one of the track assembly.

Next step, beginning of the engine painting.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I spent some time to study pictures and various documentation to continue my FT, and I progressed a little bit on the engine.
Painting the exhaust collector :
ft_gir26.jpg

Then :
ft_gir27.jpg

and :
ft_gir28.jpg

To obtain that :
I am not completely satisfied with the rendition because of the aluminium paint used (Alclad 101 aluminium). It is too bright and I will tone down it. I will also repaint the other parts already painted with Alclad 117 dull aluminium, that should be better.
ft_gir31.jpg

The engine will receive a wash of dark brown and then some dry brush with lighter colours.

I also spent some time to find some springs to replace the fake ones provided for the tracks. I also bought some brass square tube to rebuild the suspension :
ft_gir32.jpg

Maybe an other update this evening,

Eric

• Like 1

Lovely work on this beasty...

Just a quick question... when you have the engine compartment laid out in the early photos, I can't see any connection between the engine and the transmission... Is there another part to go in?

Matt

Hello,

Thank you for your kind comments.

Matt, between the engine and the gearbox, there is a big pulley which drives the cooling fan of the radiator. I was not able to add it as it requires to be attached to the side of the tank.

I just sprayed a coat of mat varnish on the engine. There will be an update at least this weekend.

Eric

Hello,

A little update, I started the weathering of the engine and continued to prepare some various elements. I finally understood how the accelerator is connected to the motor, I understood also what is the utility of the tank on top of the engine, it is an auxilliary gas tank with a return hose to the main tank. I am still looking for information to know how the gas hose is connected to the engine (the path of this hose).
ft_gir39.jpg

ft_gir40.jpg

and I prepared a hose to guide the spark plugs wires from spark plugs to ignition system :

ft_gir41.jpg

Eric