Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya Spitfire MKVIII?

Crossy

Hey guys new to this forum and am returning to the hobby after a few years break. Wanting to do my 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire MkVIII in Burma markings. Got the Eduard Big Ed set and Montex Burma markings. Question is is the Eduard set any good? Don't want to fork out any more cash for my first real foray into large models.Any thing else i need to know about this kit or montex markings(there meant for PCM spits?)? Any help would be appreciated 

Regards Rodney

Hi Rodney,

First and foremost: :1051927712:

As for the Eduard set: I really don't know.... I have a couple of Tamiya Spits in my collection and always had the opinion they don't need the Eduard treatment. Although the instruments on the IP will look better / less like fitted with bulletproof glass than the original parts.

I opted for the resin detail parts by Barracuda Studios. They just take those parts which could be better detailed /refined and use them to enhance the already gorgeous kit cockpit.

I expect Eduard to have some nice additions for the exterior, though... Only don't use P/E brake-lines if they are included. Use the P/E ones to make brake-lines from copper wire or lead wire.

As you say that you rather don't want to fork out more money on your first big-scale re-entry in the hobby; you could build the kit straight from the box, with no add-ons and it will look fantastic. The Eduard set will be icing on the cake. See how that works out and remeber that you can always use the original parts if the P/E fights you!

As for the Montex masks being meant for the PCM kit; I don't think you'll have trouble with the masks and spraying the markings on the Tamiya instead!

I wish you tons of fun with the kit! If you feel like it; you can start your own topic and show us your progress as a WIP - Work In Progress. That way we can also "coach" you if you run into something.... Rest assured, we're always respectful and constructive!

Regards,

Erik.

• Like 1

Hi Rodney,   welcome. 

I'm also building the Tamiya Mk. VIII at the moment,  using the Eduard Spitfire Mk. VIII exterior set (32664),  WIP build is here in the Pacific War Group Build.    I guess this exterior set is included in the Big Ed.  It's quite nice and adds some detail.  Rolls Royce labels for the Merlin is the best bit so far! 

Of course the Tamiya kit is so beautiful adding ALL the Eduard bits is optional.  It's really up to you.   I think that some kits 'need' aftermarket to establish a reasonable level of detail, but for the Tamiya kit it's just icing on the cake. 

As Erik said - the main thing is - enjoy.   :)

cheers, Tim 

• Like 1

Hey guys thanks for that. I'll differently take on your advice. I'll get some Barracuda details(been looking through their website). I've also got Masters Spitfire C wing Hispano cannons(are they right for mkVIII's?) Aires MkIX wheels(are they correct if not what Barracuda wheels would i need) and SAC mkVIII Landing gear. Any advice on these guys?

Also picked up Tamyia's P51D the other day with a stug IV. What suggestion would i need for the P51D(want to do 4th FG A/C)?

Thanks again for the help guys much appreciated

Regards Crossy

All VIIIs had the C wing, so you should be fine; from what I've found, the VIII & XIV used four-spoke wheels, from the start (the modification, introducing the 4-spoke, did not include the VIII, which is a fairly strong clue that they already had them.) There were plans (which never happened, apart from the odd airframe) to fit four cannon into the VIII, which probably explains the need for the stronger wheels.

Edgar

• Like 1

I'm also doing a Tamiya Spit Mk IXc and to start shortly a Mk VIII, Doog I really like the Eduard interiors for them both but I'll be damn if I'll spend as much on postage as the product does unless I can find a place that is a little more local then Eduard's, I really haven't looked any other then their Webb site But as always any help would be appreciated.

Paul 

I'm also doing a Tamiya Spit Mk IXc and to start shortly a Mk VIII, Doog I really like the Eduard interiors for them both but I'll be damn if I'll spend as much on postage as the product does unless I can find a place that is a little more local then Eduard's, I really haven't looked any other then their Webb site But as always any help would be appreciated.

Paul 

Spitfire Eduard PhotoEtch nirvana at Sprue Brothers

• Like 1

Hey guys new to this forum and am returning to the hobby after a few years break. Wanting to do my 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire MkVIII in Burma markings. Got the Eduard Big Ed set and Montex Burma markings. Question is is the Eduard set any good? Don't want to fork out any more cash for my first real foray into large models.Any thing else i need to know about this kit or montex markings(there meant for PCM spits?)? Any help would be appreciated 

Regards Rodney

Welcome to the forum.

• Like 1