The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya 1/48 ME-262 A-1a - RFI

CANicoll

Moving on from the Revell 1/32 Me262 to the Tamiya 1/48 Me262 is quite a difference. Have to REALLY magnify to see what I'm doing.  Also, really torn on how to build/display this bird.  I was going to open up the nose to show off the guns and the (small) fuselage hatch as well to show off the interior.  HOWEVER, this kit comes with a pilot figure and I really like to show pilots in the seat.  So, could show it in flight, which would be cool.  I have the Hobby Boss kit, and could open THAT one up instead.  Also, I have the old (2004) Cutting Edge Cross Dressing Stormbirds decal sheet - which opens up other options as well (and could also be used on the HB kit).  

Thoughts?

Here's the box...

image.thumb.jpeg.d8424f710c902797fd0159c0ed4ff425.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a7e1ee14abb9f5cc930ee1ab889ff255.jpeg

And a closer look at the Cutting Edge options.  I'm not really sure how appealing I find any of these options.  Maybe the first one...

image.thumb.jpeg.25f4fa9cd3946834cbed17c64979b3ff.jpeg

Tamiya provides a sheet showing the camo pattern for one of the aircraft, as well as instructions on how to make it 1/48 scale.  The wing camo is actually pretty simple with easy reference points so I would just mask it freehand.  Seems like there is a basic masked camo pattern, then added mottling over the standard patterns.  Have not looked into this at all.

image.thumb.jpeg.9d0dc68d4846b146c4892580b2f27c46.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.cf28ff08ee5b1d1d4dcb0f61699a274c.jpeg

Also a nice 2 pager in English and Japanese on the ME-262 and comparison to the Gloster Meteor F.1. 

image.thumb.jpeg.8ad1b8315ee2620c87e5fbbe7f72626d.jpeg

Really frustrating is that Tamiya for some reason refuses to reference the RLM numbers.   (WTH is "RLM Grey"??)  And I've not found a good cross reference table online either of Tamiya to RLM.  I'm currently using the Revell color references - which is not perfect either.

image.thumb.jpeg.665fa918a195f5349292906e34c14bf9.jpeg

But, I really do like the inclusion of a pilot figure - even if it doesn't have posable arms.  I may just have to cut an arm off of a figure in my stash (probably from on old Monogram kit!) and see if I can get it connected to the joystick. Or maybe move the pilot figures to the HB kit and open up the Tamiya kit?.  BTW, the HB kit doesn't include a nose weight, and if the nose is open, will be hard to load up any weight up there.

image.thumb.jpeg.ba5f8339d9f4eaca48da27961fe18cda.jpeg

Right now the basic cockpit tub is together and painted RLM 74, and the interior is painted aluminum so not really much to show off at this point.  (Painting using Vallejo Model Air and Metal).  I do want to pick out various cockpit controls, especially since I have Udvar Hazy's Me262 and excellent photo references to work from.  Not that hardly any of it will be visible in the end! 

That's it for now!

Chris

• Like 8

Hey neighbor!  The great thing about this subject and the kit is that there are so many options with decals and other aftermarket.  Almost too many!  I couldn't decide, so I have two sitting in the stash that I'm going to convert to a U3 photo reconnaissance version (using CMK 4112 and AIMS 48D016 decals) and the other as a two-seater night fighter (using CMK 4113 and EagleCals #170).  I tend to like to make life difficult for myself and not build OOB though.

Another thing I'm going to do is show off the Jumo engines.  Aires and Quickboost make a really nice full sized engine if you're looking to go that route.

Lots of options!  Looking forward to your build!

• Like 4

Hey Mike!  I'm kind of going in the other direction lately, more OOB although I do have a couple of 1/48 Eduard Mustang kits and the Revell 1/32 P-51D that I have a ton of AF for.  As you said, soo many options but can't wait to see what you are going to do with your builds.  I've not used a CMK resin kit for a long time - I keep forgetting they are out there.  Also have to look at Quickboost and Aires as you suggested.  I usually find more of those when I go to Telford for SMW, but I'm not going this year.  Hmm. Lots of ways to spend $$!

Chris

• Like 5

Yeah, they make it way too easy to spend money in this hobby!  I bought my first Me262 on eBay loaded with aftermarket, then found some of the other CMK conversion sets and added them, so ended up buying a second.

The CMK conversions are 4111 (A-1a/V056 fighter conversion), 4112 (A-1a/U3 photo conversion), 4113 (B-1A/B1a/U1 night fighter two seater conversion).  I don't know if CMK is still making them, but you can often find them on eBay or some of the big online sellers.

This is the Quickboost Jumo engine (48289) - looks like it may be discontinued, but has really nice detail
image.jpeg.dc4d36525d401972863afd97ad3f1345.jpeg

Aires 4222 is a full detail set with two engines, cockpit, wheels, control surfaces, etc.:

image.jpeg.854a2f5d3160fc982e1750ac5731dbca.jpeg

Not trying to make you spend extra money!

• Like 6

Making a little bit of progress, working on the cannons and cockpit.  However, I was hugely disappointed with the Tamiya decals for the instrument panel.  Two of the three decals tore rather easily.  Hard to see in 1/48 scale, but not in the photographs. Far left, the bottom of the two gauges tore and folder back onto itself.  The Yellow gauges both also tore making it difficult to place the rest of the gauges.  I have some touch-up work to do.

image.thumb.jpeg.1025762a6bfa799504d3f7fc2d954030.jpeg

Had a bit more success with the cannons, but hard to see with the gunmetal paint.  Used the Neutral and Dark MIG washes to bring out the bulkhead detail, and a bit of dry brushing with some Vallejo aluminum.  This will be a pretty 'clean' aircraft.

image.thumb.jpeg.10b235b2b8fd48cea4749e42181a7cd7.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.3f94a7d667447d59cee3de3018be67e4.jpeg

Worked on the cockpit tub a bit - surprised there was not a bit more color and wondering if my paint is a bit too dark.  Right now it sports a gloss coat but I'll matte that later.

The seat is dry fitted for the moment, until I get some HGW seatbelts (which are proving a bit hard to find except from HGW directly).  There is a strange reflection in the pan of the seat.  Beats me!  The washes brought out the plumbing on the back bulkhead pretty nicely, I think.

image.thumb.jpeg.6d8840f0b5e2bcfb647c162df93ab036.jpeg

That's it for now.

• Like 6

The details are looking great Chris.  I doubt anyone will notice the IP decals.  Seat belts are the new PITA when it comes to aircraft modelling.  There are some youtube vids on making your own.  Heck, I've even used Tamiya tape before.

I've got a bunch of 1/48 scale twins...  I will not be buying seat belts for them.  Maybe guns.  Maybe radar aerials.  But cockpit interiors...   they just don;t seem to matter as much as 1/32 pits.

• Like 3

I hear you Gary.  Seems like when I need to make seatbelts it takes me the better part of an evening - and that is having worked out a reasonably reliable method for assembling them.  It is still a PITA...  And I'm rapidly coming to the same conclusion regarding the 1/48 cockpits.  In 1/32 the detail is so much more accessible.  It really gets lost in 1/48.  Sigh...  Maybe I'll sell some of my 1/48 kits...

Happy Sunday!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CANicoll said:

Maybe I'll sell some of my 1/48 kits...

I'm already at the tail end of Monday.  I sold all of my single-engined 1/48 kits.  Fighters will only be LSP's for now.

• Like 4

Chris

Terrific start on the Tamiya Me262, just nothing like the enjoyment of a Tamiya kit in my book. While I have started the GWH P-40 - I'm still having more then a rough time getting the mojo into play after the Whirlwind disaster. My cure: I just started a 1/48 Tamiya F-16C with the only AM being the addition of a Quinta 3D cockpit; talk about a mojo builder. I can feel the juices starting to flow again.

• Like 3

Very nice progres with the innards of the Schwalbe, Chris. I like the cockpit detailing and gun area, but couldn't live with the IP. I have to build a 262 (I have two in stash) but I imagine that the bubble canopy allows a nice view inside. If you use the pilot figure you can skip the seat belts.
HGW belts are a bit fiddly to assemble specially in 48 scale, but there are easier options, Eduard has different kind of belts in their program in etched and printed steel and Superfabric. All easier to build up and sufficcient for 48 scale.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CANicoll said:

Thanks Rob - I just hit the Eduard website and it looks like Eduard is discontinuing its Superfabric line.  13 of the 20 sets offered are discontinued.  Bummer!

That's maybe so, but No. 49085 a generic Luftwaffe set is still available. The steel ones aren't bad either. The later ones are ultra thin and bend easily. Not to say there is a set (No. 48085), including an IP :D for the Tamiya ME-262.

Personally, I wouldn't leave seat belts out in 48 scale like Gary, but before struggling with the HGW belts, I would choose simpler options. For 32 scale it's another story, nothing beats HGW here and I build up a lot of them.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

Finally got some bench time today. Whew!  Got the fuselage closed up and all of my weathering on the fuselage sides is invisible, unless you turn the plane over and have a flashlight.  Oh well.

Did some more work on the IP, did a flat coat, then put drops of clear over the various instrument faces.

image.thumb.jpeg.93dd11e24fe67d36052e7477f021d1d3.jpeg

Next up the various landing gear struts.  Painted the oleos chrome, over a black gloss primer (I know, its 1/48 scale and I'm brush painting, but what the heck!)   The first picture is freshly painted.  The second is after the application of a black wash around the joints.  Can you see the difference!! 

image.thumb.jpeg.0ae1d40f0e373c97d3813dc66de84a6f.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ccd7f44e6538ebd9740c3f50ca492c94.jpeg

(BTW, the black marks on the main gear sprues are a note to me about which piece is which - left or right.)  One way I remember for sure which is which).

I put a bit of effort into a dirty wash inside the fuselage sides.  Not exactly sure why now, but I guess being part of the undercarriage those areas would get kind of grimy.  i would do a lot more if I thought it would seen by ANYONE.  Anyone...

image.thumb.jpeg.755b9f3fc9d389d86686861db4b6185b.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.32a4220b263992ebe84c4a6bbeb94a2f.jpeg

The guns fit into the nose weight and the fit is actually really good, very tight.

image.thumb.jpeg.eb9f28b9e1675a082b21c69370223355.jpeg

Primed the nose weight with the Vallejo primer, then painted Vallejo aluminum.  Put a bit of the black wash on the underside where the nose gear folds.  Finally closed up the fuselage and the fuselage halves fit with the usual Tamiya tight fit.  Took a little bit of finagling to get the fuselage closed just aft of the weight, but it did close up. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e1c9e06b2b0d55b362248d70ae3e6a43.jpeg

Have left the seat out until the seatbelts arrive.  I'm sure I'll be exercising my vast vocabulary in putting those together...

image.thumb.jpeg.a8246a50ba956b6b95b71090b1517a39.jpeg

Next up is masking and then priming...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Quick update - got started working on the engines and wondering why Tamiya didn't engineer the seams differently.  Oh well.  But also took the opportunity to break out the old Model Master Metalizer paint (Burnt Iron, non-buffing in this particular instance).  I wanted to capture a metallic look to the jet exhaust parts.  The paint sprays beautifully, but it is also painfully fragile.  Forget any sort of masking!

image.thumb.jpeg.2021af99a6012b9c3b78af637f70a2f9.jpeg

• Like 7

Well, am TRYING to put the HGW seatbelts together.  In 2 hours, I have one shoulder belt about 80% together (among doing other things, too).  Next time I try and put 1/48 seatbelts together - forget that, I'm NOT going to do this again.  Ugh.  Partly my own fault - I need to flatten out the belt to make threading easier (especially the end buckles) as the ends are very curled.

But did get the engines put together and attached to the wings, attached the windscreen and masked the canopy and engine openings.  Got another primer coat of the new bits and pre-shaded the panel lines.  Pics later!

• Like 6

Put away the belts for a little while.  Sprayed the primer, and as usual when I'm using Vallejo paints, I can put an overcoat on them fairly soon afterwards, with no problems handling the aircraft. 

Masking is in place.  I've had success leaving the elevators off since on the German aircraft they have their own camo pattern that does not extend onto the tail.

image.thumb.jpeg.46cb9ef171872ae5f9b02b3926f1183b.jpeg

Since I'm leaving the gun bay doors open, I am using the closed option as a mask:

image.thumb.jpeg.262e797791ba7826849a6647f2cbe77b.jpeg

Some initial panel line shading, but after all is said and done, not sure how much will still be visible.  The wings and the top of the fuselage get their own camo so didn't need to cover with the light blue from the undersides.

image.thumb.jpeg.abe17e15c1f6cc7ca2c0eb8688ebedd2.jpegDoing

image.thumb.jpeg.0982c12da5940f04c630bec0b9c4d732.jpeg

Initial coat of the light blue.  It usually takes me two to three paint sessions to get the effect to the point where I am happy with it.   I was amazing erratic with the airbrush this time so will probably have to be a bit heavier with the overcoats.

image.thumb.jpeg.4121d5ad33f41d8d18d3ecb93c736fcc.jpegIni

image.thumb.jpeg.dea62c57b781ce98990d0fbba314a001.jpeg

Don't think I mentioned I am using the CMK resin tyre set.  VERY hard to see, but they even have the sidewall lettering readable!  Color is actually the Gloss Black Vallejo primer - I'll hit the tyres with the Vallejo Black-Grey which is my usual go-to for rubber coloring.

image.thumb.jpeg.4042e7acffae78076b1ded613fc0db76.jpeg

Maybe I'll do some work on the belts tomorrow.  Maybe...

image.jpeg

• Like 4

On 11/7/2022 at 1:45 AM, GazzaS said:

Nice work, Chris.  I've never had much luck gluing painted parts on.  Which glue do you use?  And...  what if putty is required?

Gary, It only really works when you have a really nice fit of the elevators (in this case) to the fuselage.  For these elevators I use tube cement on the tabs that go inside the tail.  Then I'll flow some Tamiya Extra Thin from the underside which seems to help blend the two pieces together.  It only works if the fit is pretty tight, like on many of the Tamiya kits.  Saves some masking tape!

• Like 2