The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Wingnut Wings Salmson 2-A2 "USAS"

So I was issued a challenge from Richard, if I could build an Salmson in 30 days... Well it only took me 17 days! Built for WNW website sample. Exterior painted using Tamiya colours mixes, Vallejo, Mr Colour and Tamiya paints  for the interior. Weathered using my own oil wash mixture and AK Interactive products and rigged with Ez Line and RAF Rigging Line. Another one that was hard to hand over once it was built. Photos taken by Wingnut..

Fun to build... I think I will be building another one in the near future!

32059%201~32%20Salmson%202-A2%20USAS%20-

And a photo of it on a piece of original fabric from an 1st Aero Sqdn 2-A2

• Like 7

That's a very nice way to rise to this particular challenge Dave. Love, love love the finish on that.

Amazing shot of it sitting on the original fabric, too. Did that come from a museum there? Too cool...

• Like 1

What a great-looking aeroplane.  Lovely finish Dave.  I particularly like the red-brown colour and the way that you've varied the tones fore and aft of the exposed engine.  Adds a nice dimension.  Can I ask what colour(s) you used for the red-brown?  Cheers, Ralph.

Superb job, Dave;  I am just learning about French colors in WWI as part of my research before I tackle my USAS "Christmas surprise"; must admit I had not heard of "Horizon Blue" before now, so this adventure will be an education and history lesson for sure.   I was wondering: given that the covering was silk, and not linen, would it be too far-fetched to produce a slightly glossy sheen on newly-arrived examples at the front?  Looking more carefully at a lot of pictures right now to try to figure that out.

btw: thanks for the helpful photos and advice everyone.  Mine will be finished in an estimated 17 months...

m

UPDATE:   Dave, I received my Salmson on Chriostmas Eve and after looking at the period phtos in the instruction booklet I owe you an apology; all of the pictures show a farily dull, matte appearance, with the possible exception of a slight sheen on the cowlings, as Richard Alexander mentions in the notes...

I guess part of the fun of building these machines is what we learn about the technology of the period.  Those old guys had a sophistication I never appreciated given the materials available and the techniques of the day.