The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

British colors Extra dark sea gray and Sky

ScottsGT

OK, starting to round up my colors I need for the avenger 3W I’m doing a little later this year. This is the bird I’m building.  Decals are out for delivery right now.   Am I correct assuming the Dutch used the same colors as the RAF?  Or was this an actual RAF plane at one time?

F4F515E2-C962-40BD-BC0D-77ED4DF5EBE3.jpeg.7c02a6a3713121f6dd45444be8bda9bf.jpeg

So far I’m finding Mr. Color C333 Extra Dark Sea Gray that looks accurate.  But Mr. Color C368, Sky has what appears to be a tan colored cap on the bottle.  As you can see in the pic it’s more of a green.  Is this the correct Mr. Color paint? 
With all the experience of y’all here, I’d rather ask that follow my inexperienced instincts.  Going to be my first with this color combo. 

On 2/4/2023 at 3:29 PM, ScottsGT said:

Y’all do realize I’m asking about lacquer paints and you have suggested acrylic colors? I really appreciate the help, but I’m trying to get away from Acrylics and stick to lacquers. 

So use Mr Color Levelling thinner to cut them. Instant lacquer paint! 

Well, not really but Tamiya acrylic is compatible with the above as well as their own lacquer thinners. It's generally what I use to thin them. 

I'll check what I have for Sky when I get home that's lacquer based. 

• Like 1

I just stumbled across this website on Cybermodeler.

https://www.cybermodeler.com/resource6.shtml

C026, Duck Egg seems to be a Pre-WWII color.  According to the charts, C368 is supposed to be it.  I have noticed that sometimes Mr. Colors caps are a few shades off of the actual color.  
I’m in no big hurry, so I’ll probably throw a bottle in my cart on my next Sprue order just to see how it looks.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So Scott you got me to buy in to Mr.Color I bought about 10 bottles and the leveling thinner for the RAF in the stash.;)

PS:you know how hard it is to walk out of a LHS without a kit..........? Impossible walked with the Hase 1/32 Hellcat $40.:dontknow:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, KevinM said:

PS:you know how hard it is to walk out of a LHS without a kit.......

It's easy at the LHS near my work. I'd say more than 2/3 of the shop is dedicated to paint, tools and supplies with just the front section containing kits. Their Gunze section is almost a full aisle 15 ft long. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, KevinM said:

So what is the ratio for paint to thinner?:dontknow:

my LHS is 1hr away Scott in Mobile in New Orleans on the W.Side is a really Nice shop but you will not catch me N.O. ATTM unless I go armed.:unsure:

I usually start with a 1 part paint to 3 parts thinner and do a test spray.  Really depends on what your airbrush likes.  If you’re a little heavy on thinner, just be careful not to pile it on.  It will evaporate anyway. Little too thick and you’ll have scale undercoating! 

Yea, I’ve been reading about New Orleans post covid.  Not a place I want to visit anytime soon again.  Been twice, was ok.  But I’m not a night person, so when all the fun starts I’m usually in my hotel room. 

• Like 2

Yeah Scott I grew up on the Ms Gulf Coast and the GOM all my life been elsewhere always came back I like being around water.My Son and I are both big History buffs and the D-Day Museum is a treat always expanding like the NAS in Pensacola but it's just not safe in my book and I luv the Ole N.O..;)

The paint is awesome Scott I started on the Revell Spitfire MkIX tonight with the interior good coverage and flat as hell/smooth.I hope to do the whole plane in Mr.Hobby.I think if all goes well I have have found my transition paint from  Model Master granted I still have a bunch for WWII Luft planes but the American/Brit is getting slim.I went 60/40 thinner the 60 @18psi:unworthy:

• Like 3