Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Hasegawa 1/48 Typhoon

JohnB

While I'm waiting for the Vector nose set for the B-26K to show up I've been working on my Hasegawa Typhoon. Really a nice kit with good fit and detail. 

The postman just delivered the Vector nose so I'll put this aside so I can resume work on the B-26K. :)

Update to this: It's the WRONG NOSE. It's for the regular B-26/A-26B early 6-gun nose. Until I get this sorted out with Ultracast I'll just resume work on the Typhoon.   ALWAYS SOMETHING! 🤪

"Nuther update: I ordered the wrong nose! And Ultracast is out of the B-26K nose. Couldn't find one on ebay either!!!!   MORE ALWAYS SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!🤪  I'm just going to use the kit nose since I can't find the Vector nose anywhere.

3-9-23 001.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Nice work, John.  More bloody tube construction!  Hopefully Hawker isn't still using it.

Thank you Gaz. Luckily it all went together well with no problems.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MARU 5137 said:

Excellent  and neat start John.

Enjoying it already.

👍

Thank you Maru. It's on hold for now until I finish the B-26K but I'll get back to it in a bit.:)

8 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Looking mighty good. The invasion stripes look perfect.

Thanks Peter. The stripes do need some touch up but on the whole I think they came out okay. Probably a lot "neater" than the original! :)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Thanks Peter. The stripes do need some touch up but on the whole I think they came out okay. Probably a lot "neater" than the original! :)

Apparently............ the order to add stripes was given to the RAF only a couple of days before,  because of the overiding security. They were literally painting them on with yard brooms in some squadrons on June 1st . They also didn't know why they were doing it, because the invsion date was such a secret . 

I was reading David Renders book last year about being a young tank company commander in June 1944 ..he initially thought the "aircraft with stripes" were from a new air force, they just didn't know which country had joined the Allies. 

NB - your Tiffies  stripes look pretty good to me . 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PanzerWomble said:

icnp2014-jun-dday-002.jpg

Those sure are crude! Wouldn't look very good on the model. I'm fully aware those stripes varied considerably. You learn a lot when you've been modelling as long as I have (over 60 years).

1200px-A_pilot_of_No._175_Squadron_RAF_scrambles_to_his_waiting_Hawker_Typhoon_Mk_IB_fighter-bomber_at_Le_Fresne-Camilly_in_Normandy,_24_July_1944._CL570.jpg

22089676_1348886321907823_6326809747513921030_n.jpg

• Like 3