The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/35 Border Panzer IV Ausf J .Completed

Had this as a birthday present a few years ago , built some of it just to check it out, held off building much more, as was unsure where it was going ....late Normandy ....Battle o/t Bulge Scenario ....East Prussia 45 ...?????maybe just build the tank and couple of figures and not make any in depth scenario ??? Whatever way , it's well inside my comfort zone . 

So nice box art

E6-B6-A773-5279-472-B-88-EC-09339-BE60-F

My first Border offering ...looks good .

Lots of sprues, lots of options , nice moulding, tight Takom'esq side gates , PE , Metal Barrel ...seperate plastic track links or optional link and length tracks. Very clear instructions , not convinced by the painting instructions , but will do my own research anyway . Decals look ok ish , buy will probs mask or use better ones from stash.

E78-FC3-C6-BB0-B-4-DB5-B582-68-A0-E9-CA7

7-D1-F4-CB0-386-F-4-F51-A396-BE806-B9-D7

06530-E82-85-AA-44-BE-9-BA8-FE2-C2-DC74-

• Like 7

Zipping on , turret ready for paint .

IMG-1188.jpg

IMG-1187.jpg

Here's a BotB Ausf J ...I've some one from the fighting with HJ around the twin villages on the Elsenborn ridge somewhere as well . This one is caption 9 Pz Div near Bastogne . 

642915fc5f541b1c70a1944c42064e94-ardenne

Suspect restoration in Saumur ....zimmerit ...pre september ....mesh skirts ....late 1944 ...maybe ? French did have a habit of bunging stuff together . 

Might well be an ausf H looking at the turret. I didn't take that many pix . 

DSCF6114.jpg

Laterz 

PW 

• Like 5

Close ups on some of the nice moulding details - manufacturers markings on tyres , well defined tracks , pin marks very slight and rarely in an area that is visible. Plastic is good too , not too soft , but easily cut, sanding doesn't rip it. 

D11495-F3-8947-46-CE-AC99-1-DAA64-D97640

Pretty good , even down to the offset centre oil level screw and the hub welds. Holes in the edges of the tracks .

9391017491-52bf7cee1c-b.jpg

A4-B6-B6-FA-E1-D0-4281-B7-D2-4-F8-BA5989

C02-B2936-7171-4-D3-D-A250-8013-F286-BAC

• Like 7

Turret done barring the spaced armour . Primed with grey rattle can , based with black/green , primed uppers with primer red , painted in Dunklegelb Tamiya's newer XF-89 . Now to finish the hull to the same point then cammo .

E81-CCC49-58-E6-45-F4-994-B-CB451-CD3-F5

Nice i nscale armour texture and welds . No filler needed

89979085-EAF1-4-F1-F-8-F2-F-90-F11-C2634

E87-B3-A28-81-BF-4-C14-9541-B33-C8-B7-E8

• Like 7

Bit more progress...been busy with other things this week . Kurt overseeing construction of the Wanne . You cant tell but those suspension units  will rotate if you want them to , if you are using the workable track .

IMG-1204.jpg

IMG-1208.jpg

Hows the fit ??? It's absolutely awesome , as tight as a millenial Tamiay offering , zero filler or clamping needed 

IMG-1212.jpg

Kurt feels that Panzerwomble's intake of wine is inversely proportional to the progress of this model . 

But what about those workable tracks ... ??? For my money they are a let down . Not so well detailed as the link and length offerings , the track pins are poorly thought out. If they were the only option I'd go metal tracks rather than bother with these. 

IMG-1207.jpg

More laterz

PW 

• Like 5

Nice work, Guy!  The main reason I prefer indy links is because I like to have a little variation in placement for road wheels and tracks on some piece of terrain.  I've got a couple sets of friuls that migrate from model to model as I save the magic tracks for that model that deserves them.  Teeny tiny pins suck.

• Like 1

Coming together nicely , I'm enjoying this Border Model

Primed in primer filler  , black based , toned with red primer , based again in DGelb . Not bad for an evening .

IMG-1217.jpg

IMG-1221.jpg

IMG-1223.jpg

IMG-1228.jpg

Need to sort out the spaced armour on the turret then can do the cammo patterns .

Cheers PW

• Like 5

Replaced most of the plastic spaced armour ( 1mm ...) with copper foil ..(0.1mm) . Given this was made from 5mm boiler plate my copper is much closer to scale. 

And done the two colour cammo plus a quick filter coat. 

Back Sunday maybe ...see much more fun than a teeeny ship

IMG-1229.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, GazzaS said:

Nice work, Guy.  Here I am trying to motivate myself into building a ship and you're against it.

Roll it Horatio 😀 ....I'll have to get back on with the Destroyer in the next few months 😐 .....

• Like 4

Ok where were we ? 

Construct , basic paint .

So , painting of some details , selective glossing , decals , (we are going LSSAH for this one) , dry brushed , initial chipping , heavy oil pin / flood washing and then sealed for now with matt varnish . More detail painting to come , and then a bunch of mud as I reckon this is a survivor from 7th Koy KG Peiper at the end of the Bulge in Jan 45. Not sure if the mesh guards made it through all the bombardments, but will need tracks and a crew of two . Here one from 1er Zug got zapped by fighter bombers on the 30th Dec*. Had a thought about a base as well . 

Cheersly 

PW 

* Looking at this pic closely it has a number of interesting things going on . It appears to be a late Ausf H from the front glacis features and the hatch, but no zimmerit applied ....so post Sept 44 , pretty much the end of the run of H . It maybe seems to have ambush pattern cammo , which would also be rarely seen on a Pz IV though the spots could be just fire damage as well though. 

IMG-1243.jpg

IMG-1238.jpg

IMG-1240.jpg

IMG-1242.jpg

IMG-1241.jpg

• Like 5

@GazzaS

Thanks for those pix , I've not seen them before . I guess the PK companies focused more on the big cats in the last years of the war , I've associated ambush with the later Panthers and KT's , I've not noticed it on PZIVs , but maybe will have to look more closely now ! 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

@GazzaS

Thanks for those pix , I've not seen them before . I guess the PK companies focused more on the big cats in the last years of the war , I've associated ambush with the later Panthers and KT's , I've not noticed it on PZIVs , but maybe will have to look more closely now ! 

Glad you like them.  I may have more.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

Yay !!

Dunno if you noticed .

Lustmolch = sexy beast ! 

& people say Germans lack humour ...not in my experience ! 

I actually put it into google translate...   but it gave me "lecher"

• Like 2