The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

From the SOD: ICM's 1/350 scale Großer Kurfürst

GazzaS

Gaz

Fiddly yes and surely a pain to install but they do goo add and add so much. I,m right with Rob, once paint and some weathering, they will look spot on the money.

You're so right, nearly as dangerous as sailors who climbed the rope ladders (can't remember the correct name) to insanely work on the sails and yard arms, high above the deck and sea. 

• Thanks 1

Welcome back, my friends!

I've been working on the two main structures of this vessel all week...   when I wasn't doing my day job, anyway...   and there are only six pieces of plastic to go.  So I'm feeling really close to the end.  ...Except for the big photo-etch hump barring my way.

One of the things I consider odd is the lack of photos and film footage from the Jutland Battle.  Despite all of those great advancements made since the days of Matthew Brady, we only have a few stills from the battle.  One shot that purports being from the battle is this one:

SMS_Grosser_Kurfurst-midships-top-s.jpg.19e89063130c5aba5deaf0e60a8e2fe6.jpg

This is definitely taken from the crow's nest of a König Class battleship during a major action.  It was captioned as being from Großer Kurfürst during the Jutland battle.  And for me, that's great...    because it was my intent all along to portray this ship at Jutland.

This photo has a ton of information for those willing to look.  Even though it is a unremarkable photo in many ways, it tells us many things about how dreadnought battleships went to war.

SMS_Grosser_Kurfurst-midships-top-s1.thumb.jpg.0ca3e4d37004756c59105825397a6d20.jpg

At Jutland, the Kaiserliche Marine ships had their after funnels painted red for identification purposes.

Another problem for admirals of the day was the way their ships were constructed.  Many had wing turrets and amidships turrets that were usually surrounded by cranes and the ship's boats.  The muzzle blast from the wing and amidships turrets would quickly turn the boats into matchwood.  So, when a big fleet action was expected, they all unloaded their boats.  And this photo gives us a rare glimpse onto the top of one of the boat carriages.  And this was one change I had to make.  I left the boats off, and constructed enough structure to hold wooden strips that cradled the boats on their carriages.  Fortunately, I hadn't thrown away the Artwox deck leftovers away.

Another thing that was removed were many of the railings.  The ones in danger were removed, and the ones not in danger were left in place like those at the base of the cranes and the searchlight batteries.

Großer Kurfürst's large cranes were lowered and partially disassembled to protect them from muzzle blast.  The booms would have laid on the deck, I imagine.

What follows are my photos as of this afternoon.  Happy modelling!

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2111.JPG

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_2113.JPG

IMG_2114.JPG

IMG_2115.JPG

IMG_2116.JPG

IMG_2117.JPG

IMG_2118.JPG

• Like 5

Love the detail going into this build - the the sea looks good too . 

My grandfather was on board HMS Conqueror at Jutland. Captain's report at the time reads 

"The enemy was first observed at 6.25 p.m. and at 6.31 p.m., fire was opened on one of the ' Markgraf ' class—rough range, 12,000 yards. This ship quickly disappeared in the haze, and fire was shifted to a three-funnelled cruiser (probably the late 'Maravev-Amurski,')—rough range, 10,000 yards — shortly afterwards this ship dropped astern and passed out of sight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

Love the detail going into this build - the the sea looks good too . 

My grandfather was on board HMS Conqueror at Jutland. Captain's report at the time reads 

"The enemy was first observed at 6.25 p.m. and at 6.31 p.m., fire was opened on one of the ' Markgraf ' class—rough range, 12,000 yards. This ship quickly disappeared in the haze, and fire was shifted to a three-funnelled cruiser (probably the late 'Maravev-Amurski,')—rough range, 10,000 yards — shortly afterwards this ship dropped astern and passed out of sight. 

I reckon a lot of lives were saved by the fact that the main fleets didn't engage until late in the day.  It was a calm day with good visibility early on.  What was your grandfather's job/position?  I've read a book by one of the German guys at the battle.  He was below decks...  so there wasn't a lot for him to tell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GazzaS said:

I reckon a lot of lives were saved by the fact that the main fleets didn't engage until late in the day.  It was a calm day with good visibility early on.  What was your grandfather's job/position?  I've read a book by one of the German guys at the battle.  He was below decks...  so there wasn't a lot for him to tell.

image.png.f09bd4ccf6329c68d2fff771e2f6069e.png

Able Seaman Francis K**** Photo taken when he served with the Fore Transmitting Station Crew aboard HMS Conqueror in 1914. Transmitting Station (in Royal Navy parlance) is a room deep within a large ship where calculations pertaining to gunnery are worked and from which orders, ranges and deflections are transmitted to the guns.

Joined as a boy sailer aged 16, in March 1914 , served in Conqueror throughout the war . Completed 22 years as a CPO  in Dec 1938 .....recalled to service December 1939 . Further 5 years at sea , retired again 1947 as a WO1 . Spent all of his career involved in gunnery. 

Extracts from the book on which my father collaborated in which his history is told in more detail /

THE ZEEBRUGGE RAID 1918. 'The Finest Feat of Arms'

Paul Kendall

SPELLMOUNT 2008

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

image.png.f09bd4ccf6329c68d2fff771e2f6069e.png

Able Seaman Francis K**** Photo taken when he served with the Fore Transmitting Station Crew aboard HMS Conqueror in 1914. Transmitting Station (in Royal Navy parlance) is a room deep within a large ship where calculations pertaining to gunnery are worked and from which orders, ranges and deflections are transmitted to the guns.

Joined as a boy sailer aged 16, in March 1914 , served in Conqueror throughout the war . Completed 22 years as a CPO  in Dec 1938 .....recalled to service December 1939 . Further 5 years at sea , retired again 1947 as a WO1 . Spent all of his career involved in gunnery. 

Extracts from the book on which my father collaborated in which his history is told in more detail /

THE ZEEBRUGGE RAID 1918. 'The Finest Feat of Arms'

Paul Kendall

SPELLMOUNT 2008

image.png

Thank you for sharing!  Very interesting. 

My wife's Grandfather served in the RN on HMS Malaya and HMS Euryalus.  He was a Stoker, but also did some diving.  One of his stories was about a time when he served on an HMS Euryalus, they decided to make a gun crew out of stokers.  Apparently those stoker-gunners shot a lighthouse by mistake.  He had some great stories, but never talked about the actual combats he was involved in.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, GazzaS said:

Thank you for sharing!  Very interesting. 

My wife's Grandfather served in the RN on HMS Malaya.  He was a Stoker, but also did some diving.  One of his stories was about a time when he served on an HMS Euryalus, they decided to make a gun crew out of stokers.  Apparently those stoker-gunners shot a lighthouse by mistake.  He had some great stories, but never talked about the actual combats he was involved in.

I think Frank was on Malaya in 1933 ...I've a some pictures from the era and also his service history. Everything is getting packed up for the move, but if I can find it over the weekend I'll let you know more. Frank did 29 years in the RN ....my father (his son) completed 42 years , fifteen as a WO1 which is now virtually impossible to do. Started as a stoker , then artificer then FCMech . Mainly carriers . Tough men both of them 

• Like 2

Gaz

Always appreciate the historical photographs and the history that goes with them, as it explains so much to those of us with such little knowledge of ships and ship warfare. terrific progress and some nice modeling duplicating the information in the photos. Looking mighty good

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Gaz

Always appreciate the historical photographs and the history that goes with them, as it explains so much to those of us with such little knowledge of ships and ship warfare. terrific progress and some nice modeling duplicating the information in the photos. Looking mighty good

Thank you, Peter.  It's really a helpful photo, because when the ship is done and has only a minimum number of railing and upper details it keeps me from looking like a slacker.

• Like 1

I spent most of the day working on a few pieces of photo-etch as well as some resin for another build. 

This is the aft range finding station.  I don't know if it doubled as the aft steering, though it wouldn't surprise me as I cannot find anything that looks like it could be the aft steering position.  The middle stanchion is stretched clear sprue. 

IMG_2132.JPG.38235adf4b2cef1ef503c9a6f51fba7e.JPG

The lower, angular deck is the remote control for the searchlights. 

IMG_2137.thumb.JPG.80dfeac2f1cf35795e52fba41391c620.JPG

I'd like to see somebody's railings that didn't look like crap in macro...

IMG_2138.thumb.JPG.577f362d9b9ce96868c77496329aa978.JPG

There will be ladders to hang too....   As well as railings on the small platforms on the crane towers.

IMG_2140.thumb.JPG.432e2049e022f1e94aa6000365827fd3.JPG

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, PanzerWomble said:

What's the deckchair looking thingy on the fore deck ? It is a ships boats cradle ? 

yessir it is.  Ships boats left behind so amidships turret can fire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great attention to detail as ever Gary. 'Klar Schiff zum Gefecht' call must have been quite a task, given the preparations for battle, you realized for your GK.

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Great photo!  I wonder how many great photos like this linger in attics and cupboards, not seen in years.

....I've quite a few now scanned 😄. All mostly post war though  

I should contact the IWM or the National Maritime Museum see if they want copies. 

Grandad was a magpie , I've a ranging scope for a 150mm L45 gun , which he pinched off one of these ships whilst at Scapa Flow in 1918,KMS  Baden , Emden Frankfurt or Nurnberg . Or possibly one of the destroyers. He didn't say and the type of scope only nailed it to this version of the gun .

He also "found" an aircraft compass from a Martin Mariner which came to me last year. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DocRob said:

Great attention to detail as ever Gary. 'Klar Schiff zum Gefecht' call must have been quite a task, given the preparations for battle, you realized for your GK.

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob!   Now, what I really need is an expert in German flag signals for WWI.  I have these scans of Claus Bergen paintings while he was on the Markgraf.  Amazing that they took a painter, but not a cinematographer.

cb51-the-bridge-of-sms-markgraf-by-claus-bergen.thumb.jpg.495f7d4a277ae2cf499f943679e9835d.jpg

1149542224_SMSMarkgrafpntg.thumb.jpg.62ea3b0e858b97fc0579660d891781a5.jpg

I'd love to have the correct signals flying for the simultaneous about turn the took the HSF battle line out of range of the Grand Fleet's guns.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, PanzerWomble said:

....I've quite a few now scanned 😄. All mostly post war though  

I should contact the IWM or the National Maritime Museum see if they want copies. 

Grandad was a magpie , I've a ranging scope for a 150mm L45 gun , which he pinched off one of these ships whilst at Scapa Flow in 1918,KMS  Baden , Emden Frankfurt or Nurnberg . Or possibly one of the destroyers. He didn't say and the type of scope only nailed it to this version of the gun .

He also "found" an aircraft compass from a Martin Mariner which came to me last year. 

Is Magpie a slang for opportunistic collector?  That scope would be pretty cool to have.  One thing I regret is never going to Libya and seeing what kind of stuff is left laying around in the sand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GazzaS said:

I'd love to have the correct signals flying for the simultaneous about turn the took the HSF battle line out of range of the Grand Fleet's guns.

Sorry Gary, I've no idea about these flag signals, other than knowing about their existence. Dr. Andreas Herzfeld seems to be an expert and he has written a book about the subject, which is available at big A Germany. It is called 'Die Signalflaggen und Signalbücher deutscher Kriegs- und Handelsmarinen seit 1815'.

There are some graphics shown on his homepage, as well as the table of contents of the book, obviously in German. The second graph might be interesting for you.

Deutsche Signalflaggen (dr-herzfeld.de)

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Sorry Gary, I've no idea about these flag signals, other than knowing about their existence. Dr. Andreas Herzfeld seems to be an expert and he has written a book about the subject, which is available at big A Germany. It is called 'Die Signalflaggen und Signalbücher deutscher Kriegs- und Handelsmarinen seit 1815'.

There are some graphics shown on his homepage, as well as the table of contents of the book, obviously in German. The second graph might be interesting for you.

Deutsche Signalflaggen (dr-herzfeld.de)

Cheers Rob

Thank you Rob!  I'll see what I can make of it with Google translate...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

Of course there is a huge possibility that there was a different grouping of flags that meant the same thing...

Don't you think, these signals were coded, Gary?

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Gaz

Amazing detail work and I tip my hat for going more then the extra mile in searching out missing information: i.e: the Flags.

Yes, I completely agree about how our work looks in macro, under magnification and the biggest reason I try not to do macro images for my builds; while it shows all the detail, it always shows all the imperfections, beyond what the human eye capable of seeing. I've always felt work intended to be seen in macro or ultra closeup photographs and to look perfect, were most likely accomplished with ultra magnification and an incredible steady hand. 

• Thanks 1