Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Restoration of the "SWOOSE"

MARU 5137

Thanks Maru!  Good to see an original saved like this.  Gotta wonder how many people will look at it after it’s restored and wonder why it’s so different than the B-17’s that they are use to seeing. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ScottsGT said:

Gotta wonder how many people will look at it after it’s restored and wonder why it’s so different than the B-17’s that they are use to seeing. 

They'll just draw red lines all over it and call it "fatally flawed". :D

Edited by BlrwestSiR
Fix typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, JohnB said:

Outstanding! I'm very happy to see it.

I wanted to download some of the photos but they won't "go". Bummer. 🙄

So John heres how to get those photos if  your still want to  "get them" for your use....

{  Take a } ...Screen shot the photos that you want  , firstly by clicking on it to enlarge the thumbnail,  AND  then using the  crop tool in your camera  cut off what you do not want, for instance the writing above it and below...

if you want  the caption, then do not crop... so the whole thumbnail when expanded can be viewed as normal larger photo !!

Once you've done that... you can then save it to your camera's gallery and be able to Zoom in to see the photos...

That should be helpful....

Thanks for posting your reply to the thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To take a screen shot on your cell ohone:

Swipe  screen with your palm from right to left (or vice versa)  or hold down the low volume button on the left of your cell and at the same time click the   ON AND THE VOLUME BUTTON  together to take the screen shot.

• Like 2

The Swoose - B-17 Flying Fortress with an Unusual Tail

The Swoose is one of the most iconic aircraft of World War 2. Originally called Ole Betsy, this B-17D Flying Fortress aircraft was part of the team that flew the first U.S. bomber mission during the war. The B-17 received its official nickname, The Swoose, when Australian repairmen changed its tail to a smaller shark-shaped fin. The tail reminded Captain Weldon Smith of a popular song about a tormented animal that was half-swan and half-goose But no one was quite as smitten with The Swoose as Colonel Frank Kurtz. The personal pilot of Lieutenant General George Brett, commander of the Allied Air Forces in Australia, became fascinated with the aircraft and even named his child after the plane. Together they carried out many air combat missions, but Kurtz was determined to make history and set off to break a few records... --- Join Dark Skies as we explore the world of aviation with cinematic short documentaries featuring the biggest and fastest airplanes ever built, top-secret military projects, and classified missions with hidden untold true stories. Including US, German, and Soviet warplanes, along with aircraft developments that took place during World War I, World War 2, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Cold War, the Gulf War, and special operations mission in between
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am a bit confused.  They say it got its name because the Australian repairman changed its tail to a smaller shark shaped fin. Looks like a normal D fin to me?  
I was shocked to learn that’s how the actress Swoozie Kurtz got her name though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/24/2023 at 12:53 PM, ScottsGT said:

I am a bit confused.  They say it got its name because the Australian repairman changed its tail to a smaller shark shaped fin. Looks like a normal D fin to me?  

You are quite correct - it is fitted with the standard D-model tail with the wider-chord rudder. I think it's just poorly written - the original rear fuselage as damaged and then replaced with another from a fellow D-model at the radio room fuselage break, hence the 'half and half' nickname being given. 

Tom

• Thanks 2