Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Anyone going to the coronation?

GazzaS

Will watch it as it is kinda history in the making, but getting into the smoke tomorrow will be an absolute omnishambles with transport and security. 

TBH since Kahn took over London and started charging £12.50 a day to drive inside the M25 outer motorway  ( 20 miles out )....I've given it a pass and it's only 40 minutes away . 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

BBMF?

Battle Britain Memorial Flight - Lancaster , couple of Spitfires and Hurricanes . Light Blue propaganda flight . Also possibly the last RAF aircraft types to have achieved an air to air victory over an enemy aircraft . 

Barring a Jaguar shot down by a Phantom in 1982 ( own goal ) the RAF have not shot down an enemy aircraft since WW2🤣 ....Fleet Air Arm on the other hand . 

Did you know the RAF famously moved Australia 500 miles West in the 1960's ? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It was back in the 1960's when the RAF wanted the F-111 and the RN wanted new carriers (CVA01) to replace Ark Royal and Eagle.

Basically, the RAF said that they could provide a Royal Navy Task Force with Air Defence Cover pretty well anywhere in the world. 

But, with the then current fighters the RAF had there was a nice big gap in the Indian Ocean. So rather than telling the truth - god forbid - the RAF moved Australia west 500 miles. 

All ended up being pointless as Labour told both the RAF and the Navy  to get stuffed and bought neither F-111 or CVA01.

Fast forward to 1982 , the RAF still couldn't support the Falklands task force and so it was left to the FAA and new untested SHARs to do the job. To be fair they took some RAF GR3s along for the ride. 

• Like 3

• Administrators

If I remember correctly, Labour reneging on the F-111 deal royally pissed off a lot of people over here who had poured a metric ton of gold into that system. In the end, US and Australia only.  SMH. 
The 111 was desperately needed at the time, if I remember.

Now I’m surprised the RAF hasn’t had an air  to air victory since War 2. I would have thought Iraq or Afghanistan. 
FAA gives a good accounting of themselves when allowed to mix it up with their fangs out.  Damn Harriers mauled the Argentinians pretty badly. 

• Like 3

ahh, a man with a new hat sits on an old chair, this could open up a whole new can of worms so I'll just stick to what I did. Spent all day today and yesterday with the TV off, listened to some fantastic music (alternated between alternative rock and classics) and used it as an excuse to paint the downstairs toilet, do some long over due gardening and spent many happy hours sticking bits of plastic together.  The flightpath for London flypasess is normally right over the top of my house so spent around an hour and a half tracking the expected 70 plus aircraft on the app, watching them take off then spend an hour going around and around and around over the north sea only for them to suddenly all return to where they came from !!!  Did see the red arrows zoom overhead but the free airshow was not as expected. Sticking bits of plastic together was exactly as expected and didn't disappoint !  

• Like 1