The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

The first vipers for the Czech Air Force are ready!

Martinnfb

We can debate for ages what plane is better suited for the Czech Air Force, I guess the time will show. However despite the Apache being a dedicated tank-pounding machine, Zulu Cobras are winning on the field of logistics and upgrades. As a replacement of their aging fleet Mi-24 are perfect. Needles to say that Czech Hinds were send to a good use over the fields of Ukraine. Win/Win :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Martinnfb said:

We can debate for ages what plane is better suited for the Czech Air Force, I guess the time will show. However despite the Apache being a dedicated tank-pounding machine, Zulu Cobras are winning on the field of logistics and upgrades. As a replacement of their aging fleet Mi-24 are perfect. Needles to say that Czech Hinds were send to a good use over the fields of Ukraine. Win/Win :)

Ah , stuff the US retired 20 years ago , so virtually free "aid" to give away  . Cheap to run no doubt and plenty of cheap spares, plus CZ can donate a bunch of Hinds. 

Bit like the M47 in the post Korea era free to any Allie who wanted them

Makes sense esp as CZ is NATO and so probs never have to use them in anger in a "peer conflict". 

Nice colour schemes too . 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Martinnfb said:

Zulu is the backbone of the USMC Aviation Combat Element.  A main competitor to the Apache.image.jpeg.d30ebe6d1949136b321b12dbc927dcc3.jpeg

Ah so a lot more current than I first thought. TBH gifting old stuff is fine in my book as long as it doesn't have to match up to much newer opponent ...ask any Russian in a T62 how thats working out for them when the Javelins start flying ..🤣

As i have low interest in flying eggbeaters, I went digging. In summary, the Viper is not so old (first IOC in 2011), and is said to be faster and more agile than the Apache, with an air-to-air capacity the Apache does not have, but it has less firepower.

Definitely not a choice guided by economics only ...

Hubert

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...