Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

F4U-1D rocket connectors

Daywalker

I've been scouring the web and my research material looking for a photo that shows how the HVAR rockets were wired to the aircraft.  I suspect there was a wire and connector from the rear mount, but I don't know how that might have been connected to the rocket itself.  Does anyone have a photo showing how these things were wired?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daywalker said:

I've been scouring the web and my research material looking for a photo that shows how the HVAR rockets were wired to the aircraft.  I suspect there was a wire and connector from the rear mount, but I don't know how that might have been connected to the rocket itself.  Does anyone have a photo showing how these things were wired?

Not the best of photos Frank. but still I think you can see where the "pigtails" attached to the wings.

main-qimg-62626dfbd11549b2225cd1865251d6b2-lq.jpg

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, BlrwestSiR said:

That's the best image I've seen. I just finished going through my references and couldn't find anything. 

I hope it is of some help.

• Like 2

Thank you John!  That is an interesting photo, is that a -4 or -4B?  The HVAR mounts look different than the ones on the Tamiya -1D.  In fact, I can't see any rear mount at all!

The kit supplied rockets have a little nub on the back of the rear mounts, which I drilled out thinking they were for the pigtails.  Curious if different variants had different connection points?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Daywalker said:

Thank you John!  That is an interesting photo, is that a -4 or -4B?  The HVAR mounts look different than the ones on the Tamiya -1D.  In fact, I can't see any rear mount at all!

The kit supplied rockets have a little nub on the back of the rear mounts, which I drilled out thinking they were for the pigtails.  Curious if different variants had different connection points?

Looks like a -4B due to the 20 mm guns but it could also be a AU-1. I'd bet on a -4B. As far as I know the pigtails attach to the very end of the rocket into the exhaust area. I saw a diagram for that but I couldn't download it.

• Like 1

F4U-4B is correct , from VF-114 in Korea. A staggered single post setup.

Would this help?

China Lake test installation

nubb.jpeg.8561dbdb2881d93b45297eb914cf56d5.jpegimage.jpeg.298878e6398889f71fabeb3062946ecc.jpeg

Museum example installation (nub and all :) )

nubs.webp.53b3b3f200d063d675350b7e2d91fe84.webp

Manual and factory drawings

Fig129.jpg.4979a8844188b3ec29534265b7748dfb.jpgPage034.thumb.jpg.1e62819ac3cd91c74d3077fffbf1a4b9.jpgthe-5-inch-high-velocity-aircraft-rocket-hvar-D5XWRJ.thumb.jpg.5e74ca01f7695d85cc18ce41e8c5ee53.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• Martinnfb changed the title to Vought F4U Corsair ALL ABOUT
  • Martinnfb pinned this topic