The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

1/72 Gilbert XF-120 build

JohnB

I've had this Anigrand XB-51 kit for quite some time and have decided to finally build it. Not as the Martin XB-51 but the Gilbert XF-120 from the movie "Toward the Unknown". I think it was a cool looking airplane and it's too bad both prototypes were destroyed in crashes. Sure would be nice to have one in a museum some place. At any rate, it's a very basic kit and they left out the tail cone that was on the fin of this a/c when it was in the movie although it wasn't on the a/c when it was first built. I'll have to scratch build that for it to be "right". I would like to get the Micro Mir kit at some point and build it too. The Gilbert XF-120 decals I made using my computer and laser printer. Stay tuned!!! :)

7-2-23 001.jpg

7-2-23 002.jpg

ToUnk_F-100_3672.jpg

61EYu-PwdRL.jpg

xb51.jpg

• Like 4

Making some progress but, as you can see, the fuselage is "a bit warped". This is after I already did some work to straighten it some! Lots of filling and sanding needed on the joins but I still intend to keep going. I cut up and mated 2 rockets to make the tail cone for the fin. Lots of fitting, filling, sanding, and re-fitting but I think it's close now. My fingers are crossed it will be worth it all in the end........

7-3-23 001.jpg

7-3-23 002.jpg

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Yikes, what an awesome project - talk about unique and I have never seen this kit built before.

Will be following all the way. :popcorn:

Thanks Peter. I decided to start on this just to have something on the bench. It's turned into a bit of a cuss-factor due to the poor fit and the warped fuselage. I don't think there's any way it can be made into a really outstanding model but I guess I'll keep on it for now. I may set it aside at some point. We will see.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

John

Please, just keep at it as it's such a unique subject and kit. 

I will for the foreseeable future Peter since I've already gotten so much done. I sure would like to get one of the Micro Mir kits and build it as the XF-120 also. I plan to look into that. :)

• Like 1

I just now looked at their site and will get a email from them when the kit is available. Looking at the box art it appears their kit depicts the XB-51 before the tail cone was added to the airplane. I was hoping it would be otherwise. 😧

• Like 1

Great project, but I confess I could not unsee the warped fuselage. When I saw the pic, It jumped at me, but I thought it mus be a parallax issue with the picture … alas no :(

Hubert

PS: I remember getting involved in a p..#ng contest with Dandiego on eBay to get my hands on a vacformed 1/32 B-51. Common sense prevailed and I let it go before any of us two engaged silly money on what was a just a vac kit in the end …

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HubertB said:

Great project, but I confess I could not unsee the warped fuselage. When I saw the pic, It jumped at me, but I thought it mist be a parallax issue with the picture … alas no :(

Hubert

PS: I remember getting involved in a p..#ng contest with Dandiego on eBay to get my hands on a vacformed 1/32 B-51. Common sense prevailed and I let it go before any of us two engaged silly money on what was a just a vac kit in the end …

Sounds like you made the right call on that 1/32 VAC kit. That would be a bear to build!

Unfortunately there's nothing more I can do to unwarp the fuselage. You should have seen it before I corrected SOME of the warp! There was no way I could make the rear fuselage halves stay together and strait. I have a Mr. Coffee mug heater that keeps coffee warm. I laid the worst side piece on it for a bit and was able to "fix" the worst of it.

I intend to keep on with the build just to see how it turns out LOL.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, belugawhaleman said:

Nice work, and yes, it is odd-looking!

Thanks Paul. I feel like it will make a neat looking model. Something out of the usual, etc.

• Like 2

Painting in progress. I plan to apply a couple of different shades of aluminum, etc. (I watched my disc of "Toward the Unknown" a couple of nights ago for a little "inspiration". LOL :) Some really outstanding flying sequences there!)

7-6-23 B 001.jpg

7-6-23 B 002.jpg

• Like 7

I really dig the looks of this one. Sleek and fast. This said, I understand the key reason for it loosing out to the Canberra was that it had only 30 % of the B-57’s loiter time on target, which is a useful benefit for a tactical bomber …

Keep it coming :popcorn:

Hubert

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, HubertB said:

I really dig the looks of this one. Sleek and fast. This said, I understand the key reason for it loosing out to the Canberra was that it had only 30 % of the B-57’s loiter time on target, which is a useful benefit for a tactical bomber …

Keep it coming :popcorn:

Hubert

Me too Hubert. I've always liked the looks of it and watching it fly in the movie shows how maneuverable it really was.  It's a shame they completely lost out to the Canberra. Sure would have been nice if they had bought a couple dozen or so.

• Like 1

John

Some mighty nice progress and in the day or so I was out, about and not on the forum, you worked your magic on the XF-120 (XB-51). Fully appreciate all the work and effort that has gone into building an Anigrand kit and yours is looking fantastic. Kudos' on the NMF - looks perfect. 

I actually do remember a s kid seeing photographs of the XB-51 in a few flying periodicals in the school library (no internet or even computers and the only way of learning and seeing what was going on) and always though it was a bit on the unconventional side in at least it's looks. Not too many years after the Northrop XB-49 Flying Wing and while these types of aircraft looked pretty cool, none seemed to ever go into production. Even the NA F-107 was here and gone. 

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Some mighty nice progress and in the day or so I was out, about and not on the forum, you worked your magic on the XF-120 (XB-51). Fully appreciate all the work and effort that has gone into building an Anigrand kit and yours is looking fantastic. Kudos' on the NMF - looks perfect. 

I actually do remember a s kid seeing photographs of the XB-51 in a few flying periodicals in the school library (no internet or even computers and the only way of learning and seeing what was going on) and always though it was a bit on the unconventional side in at least it's looks. Not too many years after the Northrop XB-49 Flying Wing and while these types of aircraft looked pretty cool, none seemed to ever go into production. Even the NA F-107 was here and gone. 

Thanks Peter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Peterpools said:

John

Looking so good and the decaling is superb.

Thanks!!! I've now got everything done except painting the canopy frame and attaching the gear doors. Should have it completed some time today. :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

No question, you will have her across the line today.

Right now all it needs is a correct pitot tube which I will attach shortly. :)

• Like 1