The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

(WIP) PZL P.24 B IBG 1:72

Kriss

There is still a bit of time left until Christmas and here IBG Models sent me a gift from me in the form of their new model of PZL P.24 B aircraft (72554) in Bulgarian paintings and the model came with 3D printed extras. And there are two kits dedicated to P.24 series aircraft: IBG 72U023 Radiators and Venturi Tube for PZL P.24A/B/C/E - 3d printed (1:72) and IBG 72U025 Pilot's seat with seatbelts for PZL P.24A/B/C/G - 3d printed (1:72). I would like to thank IBG Models for the supplied model and accessories. That's enough introduction now it's time to see what's inside.

xNgduaB.jpg

After opening it up, this is what it looks like inside.

F4EgHbo.jpg

All the mouldings.

aEsBywv.jpg

Two plates and a film.

X9vd0bs.jpg

Decal sheet and what I found very interesting is the lettering ( number 26 ) on the tyres! A revelation for me.

s5rk8il.jpg

KymO1YG.jpg

There are three camouflage variants to choose from, I haven't chosen which one I will build yet. And as you can see there is also an invitation to "Babaryba 2024" it is the biggest and best modelling event in Poland.

1kwQ75Z.jpg

0pLcQiI.jpg

A complete novelty of IBG Models company, that is their 3D printed add-ons and here they are dedicated to PZL P.24 family of aircraft. 

k2q1aLQ.jpg

BUoCjre.jpg

3RPOIer.jpg

All in all, we have a very interesting version of the P.24 in uncommon paintings with very interesting additions. I still have to look at the source materials to see what more can be squeezed out of this model. There is nothing left for me to do but to invite you to continue this workshop thread.  
I would like to thank IBG Models for the supplied model and accessories.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

The interior is done, and the printed seat with headrest and straps is one piece and makes the build very easy. There's not even anything to compare with the kit parts. And this is what it looks like.

R9plClx.jpg

• Like 3

I looked at the documentation I had and didn't even know how much of this goodness I had. And this is from the following publications: "KAGARO", "MILITARIA", "POD LUPĄ", TBiU and "STRATUS" and collected over the years. And the pilot's cockpit came to the forefront, I have retrofitted the missing parts and wires, it is a pity that all this will not be visible. There are two clocks on the right frame, but in the instructions they are all black and in the photos you can see the numbers on them and I put them there too. On the right-hand clock I smeared the clock surround and glazed it as it is in the photos and plans.

XYY4vaV.jpg

o7typkd.jpg

Wh0dQZQ.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the documentation and photos, there are modified locks on the engine cover outside the prototype to open it. Seemingly nothing but such a small detail I did on the cowl.

hG45wWe.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After a long break, the P.24B is also back in the workshop. By reviewing the documentation and available materials and photos, and consulting with colleagues, I changed the colour of the underside to Polish blue instead of silver.

2D3nB6d.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

After more than two months of lay-up, the PZL is back in the workshop. The whole thing is already in colour but not what IBG recommends but for green-khaki, the likely colour used on aircraft produced for Bulgaria. And I changed the camouflage scheme and also painted the undersides of the wings as in the photos, this can be seen in the previous post. This is the progress of the work for today.

xDMzWqQ.jpg

• Like 5

Pending masking and red colour. I've swapped decals for masking and painting, the result is not much better. 

UgYvnCA.jpg

• Like 4

Just about there Kriss looking good so far.I am building up a little 1/72 also poor quality kit I must say a rebox from Heller way back in the day of a French Potez.I am surprised if has not landed in the trash can yet.:hsmack:

• Like 4

Everything masked off and now it's the turn of the red colour. I approached this to dispense with decals for fear of not matching the correct shade to the engine cover. In order to achieve a uniform red colour, I first painted the whole thing in the base colour and then covered it with masking tape, cutting out a pattern for the wheel covers and on the fuselage I first laid thin strips of 1 mm tape and then glued wider strips to this. 

KA17peW.jpg

• Like 2

Masks removed and it doesn't look too bad, the intended effect achieved 100%. Nice red colour on all parts of the model, painted and not from decals.

teucub6.jpg

• Like 5

I am just struggling with the decals, wait for the hull lettering in Cyrillic. I can already admire it. And if I succeed, I will upload pics tomorrow after work.

• Like 2

The decals have been applied, I had some fun applying the marks from the bottom due to their positioning at the junction of the corrugated sheet covering. The decal laid out very nicely, the effect can be seen in the photos below.

gmszU9I.jpg

DnOuiPb.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Still paint the tyres and put decals on them. And I will be able to mount the wheels already on the aircraft.

eVKWPex.jpg

• Like 3

The next stage of construction is the glazing of the cabin and we have two options in the box. The first is to make the cab from an injection moulded one or to make it using the sheet metal supplied with the model. For me the injection moulded one is out because I want to make an open cab, it is just too thick so I will make it from sheet metal. The first stage is done, the frames are shaped and waiting to be cut and painted.

01ZTsy7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Work is coming to a close now, the cabin will be open as I planned. The glazing frame shaped, divided and painted. All that remains is for me to glaze it and fit it to the model.

ozcLdjN.jpg

• Like 2