Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Late Entry Speed Build......" it'sh a Shaguar Baby !!!!...."

So speedy build .....and dissing the three other models I've just ignored for 3 months . 

Done this one before ...it's the 1745 Airflups / Revell /Heller ......( anyone else??? this tools a tart ?) ..........1/48 Sepecat Jaguar . 

Currently being re popped by Heller for peanuts whilst dog old earlier versions appear on eBay for silly money ....glad it's only me knows about Scalemates then . Hmm 1990 decals ....crispy ...

For UK viewers who also like the old cat ....Jadlam are banging them out for under £35 . Never bought the Kitty Hawk one but apparently it wasn't much better for warping ...and it had no UK weapons load out as it was based on the French Jag ...

• Like 2

So whats under the hood Brad ???? 357 GR1A ...

Hellers boxing is nice , half decent decals , lots of options for RAF and Indian , two for Brize Norton alone ( although they were just photographed here on the way to RIAT down the road at Fairford) 

Jags are always 54 Sdn to me .........although Marseilles Pierre has incorrectly said 42 Squadron ....who flew Nimrods in the 1970's ....plus ce change .?

How cute is the door hanger and tissue paper ! My nine year old self would have been delighted . Paints brush and cement - woot. 

temp-Image2s-Isc-N.avif

temp-Imagej-Bl-Nx-S.avif

Low part count and basic paint 

temp-Image-Id-Vpp-I.avif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

She still lives on ..just 

First flown on 23rd March 1976 and delivered to the RAF the month after. XZ112 served with II(AC) Squadron at RAFG Laarbruch initially (coded 32) but when the squadron re-equipped with the Tornado in 1984, she moved to 54 Squadron at RAF Coltishall (coded GA) and served with them for the remainder of the flying career.

XZ112 managed to get selected for no fewer than three special paint schemes during her time with 54 - a blue tail with large squadron badge and decorated drop tanks during 1991 for the squadron's 75th anniversary, a yellow tail with large lion for the last year of 54 Squadron operations in 2004/5 and finally a black tail to mark the 65th anniversary of RAF Coltishall, also in 2005.

She was retired to storage at RAF Shawbury in April 2006, and then transported to Cosford for ground instructional use in April 2007, and has remained there ever since.

Thanks Thunder & Lightning Website 

And here she is in her 1991 heyday .

temp-Image-Fai-Ovt.avif

• Like 3

Tail is warped ...because ...reasons ..poor cooling of the mould / too quick ejection time ...the Revell one I did 4 years ago was identical .

It's engraved panel lines but they are thickkk ...but it's 1994 ......so it's ok 😀. Some flash but nothing to get upset about , the undercarriage legs were a stinker on the last one , I epoxied them in place , so maybe look at pinning this time . 

The overall shape is good , the detail ?      30 years out of date , but ...it's back to being the only show in town ....I look forward to yet another fecking scale Messershit 109.. you know ....the one Hans flew on July 20th ..or was it June 30th on a Tuesday ???? ....before anyone makes another Jaguar .

Shame as the Jaguar is pretty aircraft IMHO, as shapely as a Phantom ....... all the late 60's early 70's 3rd gen goodness . 

I'll see if I have spare bang seat but beyond that this is a build it before I find something automotive to drag me away . 

temp-Image9-J961-S.avif

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Oooofya

This mould has been blast cleaned to death ...up close the texture is very rough and some of the details disappearing altogether. 

This'll be a good from 3 feet job I feel . 

temp-Image5o-VOBx.avif

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KevinM said:

Guy I just started on my B-25 last night is it 7/31 or 8/31 the last day?

I think we can make it up as we go along , unless Martin puts his foot down 🤪

I assumed end of Aug . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just love them "Jags for sure. The Heller kit surely is showing more then it's age and includes at no extra cost, loads of repair work to just get her closed up - going to be one tough act for sure.

Pulling for both you and Kev to cross the finish line in time.

:construction: 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

Just love them "Jags for sure. The Heller kit surely is showing more then it's age and includes at no extra cost, loads of repair work to just get her closed up - going to be one tough act for sure.

Pulling for both you and Kev to cross the finish line in time.

:construction: 

CA is my friend !

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Speedy build .....thats relative...progress though ...

Despite baths in hot water , the fuse warp is sad n bad . These moulds are done !

This is with the nose joined and the rest is doing it's own thing . 

temp-Image-Jgx-GMj.avif

temp-Imagedz-HFsr.avif

CA'd together , now using black CA to reinforce / fill . 

My advice buy an earlier boxing , had some warping but not this poor 

temp-Image-Kc-Eany.avif

Ohh look..... I bought a proper scriber after umpteen years .

I'm deternined ot get at least one build acorss the line . I've not forgotten the lightning but don't want to rush it as it was going nicely along . 

Laterz ! 

• Like 4

I wish someone would do a decent big scale Jag but I think that's a forlorn hope.

I've looked at reviews for this and the KH kit recently but seeing your toils with this I'm glad I passed.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, GusMac said:

I wish someone would do a decent big scale Jag but I think that's a forlorn hope.

I've looked at reviews for this and the KH kit recently but seeing your toils with this I'm glad I passed.

I think given Airfix's recent crowdpleasing releases of UK cold war stuff:  Bucc ...Seaking .....Gannet............and Kitty Hawk's demise taking out any competition ....if they have not spotted a huge market gap to fill with a nice 1/48 Jag ...well they'd be daft. Plenty of aircraft at Cosford to go scan as well . 

The downside is it will be Airfix ...but still gotta be better than the 1994 tooling . 

• Like 4

PW

Terrific progress and I'm willing to bet the tube of filler is nearly empty by now. Surely hope you're right, in that Airfix will (not might) jump in and fill the gap with a new Jaguar up to their present standards, which have raised their bar significantly. 🤞

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ok the Jags stopped sulking .....it's the Jag honest . 

The show needs to move on as they say , so all in one chunk..... fill sand fill sand ad nauseum . Primered ...bit more filling and ok , bored now ..so PAINT . 

Gets the 1970s RAF Grey /  Green "rollover cammo" scheme 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Come to the end of this and my nice new Hardup 'n Steenburger decides to play "spitty spitty paint" nonsense so parked it for tonight . 

• Like 5

Still fighting this thing . 

realised the blue on the decal sheet didn't print properly ..so had to mask the national markings and spray more .

And the rest of the decals are like the clonk I bought from Peddinghaus once ...turn to rubber/ chewing gum when wet rather than a nice film . 

It will be finished for next Saturday though 

temp-Imaget62sjx.avif

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Nice work on working around the old and poor decals. 

I'm pulling for you crossing the finish line by the end of the month and inside the deadline 🤞

By hook or crook or late night stint lol !

• Like 3

it will be done in time  - It will be a huge bago'shite .

Other than completing this for this GB it would have been binned by now .🫤

Odd that I wanted to do two classic British jets that I love and have built before and yet none of it come out well 

Reckon the sandpit will be far more me . 

image.jpg

• Like 4