Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Tamiya's Spitfire kits certainly set the standard for large scale kits when they were first introduced. Having built four of Tamiya Spitfires so far, they still serve as one of the benchmarks for large scale aircraft kits. Built as always, nearly OOB with just some AM added: A Quinta Cockpit set and some Barracuda Resin: cockpit door and wheel set. After the Eaglecal Decals cracked and shattered, I reverted to using the kit decals which turned out to be a pleasure to use.

Gvl728.jpg

U9sit2.jpg

oRHtnw.jpg

TsLcg6.jpg

4TxoxY.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Peterpools changed the title to Tamiya Spitfire Mk IXc

Peter, another beautiful build, but your paint work, in particular, on the Spit is terrific.  Flaps down or not - an excellent piece of work and it's not just because it's a Tamiya kit.  Nicely done, my friend!

• Like 3

Thanks Carl, very much appreciated. Never thought the flaps would become so front and center. At some point, when the Spits ere being serviced and checked, the flaps surely had to be dropped. My next Spitfire build is going to be the upcoming Kotare Mk 5a and surely, the flaps will be raised. ☺️

• Like 3

As always Peter, your work is incredibly clean and meticulous. I actually like the flaps down. And the Mk.5 from Kotare is going to become a gem in your hand as well. Can’t wait. 
cheers

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Peterpools said:

PW, very much appreciated. Just nothing like a Tamiya kit for pure fun and enjoyment. 

Tamiya didn't paint that....take a bow ... thats a lovey job of work you've done ! Freehand cammo too I'm guessing .

FYI It's the tonal control I'm digging , very sweet if that is all "out of the gun" as they say . I'd be digging in the oils ot get a similar faded look .

• Like 3

Thanks Chris, so very much appreciate your kind comments on my Spit. Just a pleasure to build and if I remember correctly, only AM was a Quinta Cockpit Set, Barracuda resin wheels to replace the kit rubber tires and Eaglecal decals which gave me fits. I used mostly the kit decals with no issues at all. Just love those Tamiya Spitfires.

• Like 2

Thank You Mike for the very kind comments on my Spitfire build. I think she crossed the finish line in early August and is waiting for me to add the last two shelves to my glass display cabinet for a home on the 32nd scale Spitfire shelf. After that, the display case will be full, as I have a good eight models in plastic containers waiting also for a permanent home.

Over the years painting has become my favorite part of any build as it has always been to me the most creative part of a project.      

• Like 2