Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

SH 1/48 SMB2 Mystere; IAI Sa'ar: Update: 9/4/24: Moving Forward

2 hours ago, Peterpools said:

But when I looked at the cost of replacing them, I fell right off my chair: anywhere from $75-$100 for a set of three and I’m on still on the hunt.

Wowooser for three brushes!:wacko: That seat is talking Peter to the viewer Nice.I am getting flustered now SH desert and I go SH  Tempest 1/32 I think either Iranin AF or Egypt NM finish....decisions decisions:hsmack:

• Like 3

Thanks Hubert

Now I do understand the why's to the three fuselage main parts and completely agree that such techniques as slide molding is not what SH is about.

Will be checking out the brushes and see what I can find and trying some out. This year, I bought a few AK brushes and Tamiya brushes, and the quality needed just wasn't there. Maybe I set an unrealistic limit of $20 per brush and I'll follow yours and Kev's advice.

• Like 1

Peter, that seat looks amazing, excellent work there!

I also followed Kevin's lead on purchased the nail art-brushes.  I've used the 7mm one quite a bit and it seems to work very well.  And is very inexpensive.

Here is the link on Amazon, and you can't go wrong at $6.99!  If you like pink you can get the set for $5.99.  :lol:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks MIke

I really had a ball painting the seat and treated it exactly like a figure, mounted on a base while I painted it. I have one more 3D printed ejection seat in the stash and it's for my GWH A-10C and I'm looking forward to painting it as well in the not too distant future, when the Wart Hog is back front and center on the bench,

• Like 3

Thanks Chris so much, still in shock as to the seat's detail. 3D printing just keeps amazing me as so much of the new AM is now printed and it's a whole new world, especially for us old geezers. 

Up, will be buying a set of the 'nail-art brushes' and see how they work out.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CANicoll said:

I also followed Kevin's lead on purchased the nail art-brushes. 

Don't give me to much credit I think I got idea from either Dennis or Carl in "what did you get"?They are handy and the 7/9 in that kit would be the best.;)

• Like 2

I will add another wow to your already expanding collection Peter. Cockpit and especially the seat look fantastic.
You are right about the sable brush prices, but there is no real way around them for figure and detail painting. I have some, but use them only for these purposes. I always clean them immediately and form the tip. For other occasions some good synthetic brushes are good enough.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Rob, very much appreciated - surely seems as if the ejection seat is going to be the start of the project. 

I'm still searching for the three replacement W&N Kolinsky brushes and I'm also going to buy a few of the artist makeup brushes for general work. Just been spoil over the years and just nothing comes close to the Kolinsky Red Sable brushes. I do clean them regularly with a special brush clean that also adds moisture to the sable and keeps a beautiful point. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...