Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Another one bites the dust - Maschinen Krieger Friedrich - 1/20

Well señhores, while some of you are already finished with your builds, I´m still contemplating about what to contribute. I browsed through my stash, before my Berlin trip and found only a few tempting subjects. Needless to say, I was not very thrilled about the sandbox thing, firstly.
Then I had an idea, pulling the 1/20 Wave kit of a Ma.K Panzer Kampf Anzug Friedrich out of the shelf. This will be a little dio with the Friedrich´s operator literally having bitten the dust or sand to be more specific.

P1011818.thumb.JPG.a2b1783cb1cc3f2e15eee4370a5815ea.JPG

In Berlin, I bought some tiny but welcomed additions for the small scenery, including some squeezed water bottles and 3D printed skulls, which will add to the morbid scenery.

P1011819.thumb.JPG.ec048b9a0b15c571bb3ab644a23d7e06.JPG

Cheers Rob

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Way to think outside the [sand]box!  Looking forward to this one!

22 hours ago, Peterpools said:

Terrific idea for the GB and looking forward to following your progress.

I was not satisfied with my other sand related objects. A Do-17 in desret outfit, yawn, LRDG Jeep, a little better, but still yawn and then I found the MaschinenKrieger. There will be a lot of weathering involved and maybe some new techniques as well.
Firs, I have to build a huge 1/12 garage for the Daytona Cobra, which will be paused during the MaK build. I may be able to build two kits at the same time, but not a demanding one like the Cobra which occupies my whole bench with tons of parts and tools.

12 hours ago, CANicoll said:

"Squeezed water bottles"???  Where did you even find such a thing?  And the skulls will make things interesting...

But this will be a cool build.

Well, the AM producers are not what they were before. I could find the squeezed bottles only in 1/16 or 1/24 not in my projects 1/20scale :D.
Earnestly, like you, I was astonished that something like this even existed. The bottles are produced by MAIM, which I believe is a subsidiary of the German online vendor Sockelshop.de.

Cheers Rob

• Like 8

Well, it´s about time to actually do something with my planned Kampfanzug. 
I built up arms and legs and parts of the body, which is only fit loosely, to determine, how to fit the extremities for later positioning. The fit of the kit is very good so far and the limbs are connected via vinyl elements to keep everything moveable. I got two different left hands to choose from, but found this one perfect, to hold the squeezed empty PE-bottle.

P1011843.thumb.JPG.45f8bf1544d55e9e627cd699c243cb08.JPG

I have to plan the painting of the interior and figure - ahem - the rest of it, to be precise and started to mask the side windows, which unfortunately have tobe mounted at a very early stage. That said, many parts are intersecting and depending on the right sequence to be build in.

The outer side of the windows is protruding, so I adhered a double layer of Tamiya kabuki tape onto it, sharpened the contour with a fingernail and cout around with a fresh blade. One layer was left on the outside, the other went onto the inside of the opposite pane and vice versa. Inside and outside masking done.

P1011840.thumb.JPG.f99fc4493f68ff14066310b53054103b.JPG 

Cheers Rob

• Like 5

Rob

You're off and looking mighty good. Thinking outside the box is easily going to keep the juices flowing and something so different will be the finished build.  Of course, the GB is going to severely slow down your progress with the MFH Cobra but as you said, it's such a demanding kit, best garage it until you can devote all your build time to it.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Peterpools said:

You're off and looking mighty good. Thinking outside the box is easily going to keep the juices flowing and something so different will be the finished build.  Of course, the GB is going to severely slow down your progress with the MFH Cobra but as you said, it's such a demanding kit, best garage it until you can devote all your build time to it. 

Thank you Peter, I get bored very easily with repetitions, so for me changing subjects, scales and materials is a must to keep on. As most times, I have a picture in my head, how everything should look in the end, let´s wait, if I can fulfill that.
There still is a maybe option with the planned dio in form of a sinister looking Neuspotter, but no details as of yet ;).

It´s a bit of a shame to park the Cobra, but on the other hand, time is spars at the moment and the Cobra needs full attention.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Rob

Agreed - keeping fresh and new, is the spice of life and helps so much in not doing the 'same old' in modeling, time after time. 

When it comes to dioramas and the build you are doing, imagination surely is one of the key elements and as the work progresses, the vision also changes.

Always following with great interest.

The wide range of subjects in our hobby is a blessing and a curse.  Keeps thinks fresh and learning new things, also I'll never get to build everything I WANT to build so I have to live watching others doing great builds.

:popcorn:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

Thank you Peter, I get bored very easily with repetitions, so for me changing subjects, scales and materials is a must to keep on. As most times, I have a picture in my head, how everything should look in the end, let´s wait, if I can fulfill that.
There still is a maybe option with the planned dio in form of a sinister looking Neuspotter, but no details as of yet ;).

It´s a bit of a shame to park the Cobra, but on the other hand, time is spars at the moment and the Cobra needs full attention.

Cheers Rob

Yes. This is true for me also. Even different scale can cause/enable to use new tectiques and learn much🙂👍