The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

HK Models Lancaster

Wingco57

Hi all,

Hopefully later this year we can welcome the new Lancaster from HK Models.

What do you expect this kit will offer?

Cees

My goodness I do hope it is later this year!!! ... it looked like the second coming was going to eventuate before this did! ...

It seems ... after looking on at their Meteor release, that they have settled into a rhythm of producing a "basic" kit that can be assembled OOB or "detailed up" or altered with the personally chosen level of AM that inevitably follows ... I think this is a good move.

As to variants? ... I'll have one each way ... there could be just the one kit (allowing the AM guys to create the resin mods for 617 various types - like Paul Fisher is doing with the meteor and people like Derek and Iain et.al get involved with) or they might do 2 or 3 subsequent releases ... as they have done with the B-25 and are planning to do with the B-17F (or early G???) which is supposed to be released in the not to distant future. That one is taking it's time though!!

If they go with a combination of "basic" and "variant" re-releases ... I think that would be the best option and more likely to get involved AM attention ... I doubt the AM guys would want to go manufacturing a full Tallboy or Grand Slam or Dambuster conversion setup - and even if they did, the AM kit would be time consuming to create and get to market - as well as expensive to buy. If HK do the "basics" for these, AM guys can get to do the finer detailing and get it to market in a shorter space of time ...

Just my thoughts ... either way, I'm in for at least one ... and if the ability to make variants without scratchbuilding comes along maybe another two or three ...

now ... if we can con them into producing a Wellington?!? :blink:

Rog :)

• Like 1

Good point Rog,

And what about kit options such as propellors, wheels, blister windows, fuselage windows,

Tail and dorsal turrets you name.

I think i would be best if we, the consumer, let the manufacturer know what we wish to see in the box.

Instead of discussing endlessly about any issues afterwards. What do the LSM participants think?

Cees

I would like to see it as close as possible to being accurate. Then let the modelers model and the a/m guys do their thing and everybody is happy. Meanwhile.......back on earth.....I just want it to be successful and the majority be happy that the kit in this scale is available. That huge "green house" of a canopy just screams for a detailed cockpit.

Paul,Good point, what version would you like then.

The needle bladed early propellors and shallow bombaimers blister,

Or the later broadbladed ones with large bombaimers blister?

Although the outline of the Lanc didn't change much there are

Plenty of subtle differences.

Cees

True,

To buy these kits you really must be interested in the subject.

I want one, or two. Converting one in a Manchester is also a pet

Project of mine ( did that with a Tamiya 1/48 kit a few years ago).

The space problem comes later.

Cees

Matt,

No space in Texas! What happend?

With the price of these kits it would indeed have to ba a very complete package for

A given version. The conversion of a bomber opinto a dambuster is relatively

Straightforward with only changes in the bombbay. Deleting the nose and

Dorsal turret can be made possible by providing the streamline fairings.

Cees

A grant for a model room extension?

Maybe a deed to an unused airstrip? Then you could display all the eventual B-17 and Lancaster variants! :lol:

In seriousness, though, I have a feeling HK has taken a lot of the comments about the B-17, both good and bad, and applied it to the Lancaster. It's possible that's why it has taken so long to release.

I have a feeling HK has taken a lot of the comments about the B-17, both good and bad, and applied it to the Lancaster. It's possible that's why it has taken so long to release.

Would tend to aree. I believe the original release was suppose to be last November.

• Like 1

... Deleting the nose and dorsal turret can be made possible by providing the streamline fairings...

Cees

I knew the dorsal turret was removed ... something to do with the spinning machinery and bomb taking up the space ... but I was fairly sure that the front turret was kept??

... In seriousness, though, I have a feeling HK has taken a lot of the comments about the B-17, both good and bad, and applied it to the Lancaster. It's possible that's why it has taken so long to release ...

Would tend to aree. I believe the original release was suppose to be last November.

Yep I agree too ... A fellow on another forum said that the HK team took a detour to inspect one at an RAF museum while out at Telford last year - presumably to verify measurements and ensure that corrections were made to the kit design before release. 

Rog :)

• Like 1