The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Panel Line Pens

RalphSarc

lol, didn't knew about special "panel line pens". I think any waterproof fine tip marker pen will do.

I use Sakura Pigma Micron 005 and Faber-Castell PITT artist pen XS.

I only use them for hatches and lines on bare metal surfaces, I think preshading with the airbrush is enough for other lines on WWII planes.

It's easy to go over the top with marker pens and any mistake will show.

I'm buying the parts today to modify my shop compressor to airbrush. I'm going to install a low pressure module on my work table so I can make all connections there leaving my compressor in a remote location. I have also order a Neo Airbrush via eBay so looking forward to entering the fantastic world of airbrushing!! Panel lines here I come, lol!!!

Ralph

When drawing panel lines, I use the Derwent pencils with a "light" hand. I utilize labeling tape as a straight edge due to it's flexibility.

IMG_1712.jpg

Hope I don't get banned for posting a 1/48th build. :rolleyes: 

Oh? I just thought you have HUGE hands...

Does remind me of the Hasegawa catalogues of the early nineties where every model had it's panellines accentuated with black ink... :wallbash:

I usually use a dark brownish or greyish wash of oil colour over the acrylic paintwork. But that naturally only works with recessed panellines. In any case, beware of too much contrast in your panellines, that makes the model look toy-like.

grumman-f-14a-tomcat-us-navy-vf-84-jolly

• Like 1

I use Flory Wash when I'm concerned about damaging the paint, Windsor and Newton Burnt Umber thinned with mineral spirits is still my preferred method though.

I use the Mona Lisa brand. Great price on Amazon for it.

• Like 1