Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Vietnam Huey - 1/35 Latewar UH-1H

I posted a build log on ARC years ago but figured I'd share this over here.   Subject is a latewar US Army UH-1H slick.   Latewar mods consist of the "toilet bowl" exhaust supressor and vent sheilds (to keep newly introduced SAM-7 missiles from locking on), relocated antennas and a slightly modified late-war paint job (overall OD, no black anti-glare panel on nose).

The 1/35 Dragon Huey kit is a pig.  I spent lots of time filling huge panel lines, sanding off monster rivets, etc, etc.  Most of the smaller bits were heavily modified or scratchbuilt.   I also cut open the doors and used resin replacements. I spent a great deal of time scratchbuilding all the troop seats.   I used the Cobra Company M-60 set and their toilet bowl.   Decals are a mix of Fireballs and some donated decals to represent one of the last Cav units flying Huey's at the end of the US involvement in late '72, early '73.

Hope you like....

John

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0954.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg

IMG_2911.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Erik and yes, the Dragon kit is nothing more than the Panda kit with some (pretty nice) PE thrown in and new decals. 

10's of thousands of Hueys built, flown by dozens of countries and yet there is still not a decent large scale kit of one.   Sad......

Nice Huey! Boy does it bring back memories! I was in when Ft. Bragg finally phased them out in favor of the UH-60. I miss the distinct sound of those blades!

Camp Mackall still has one as a gate guard, but it's an earlier model. I pass it 2-3 times a week. We always tell people to "turn at the Huey on a stick..."

Nice Huey! Boy does it bring back memories! I was in when Ft. Bragg finally phased them out in favor of the UH-60. I miss the distinct sound of those blades!

Camp Mackall still has one as a gate guard, but it's an earlier model. I pass it 2-3 times a week. We always tell people to "turn at the Huey on a stick..."

I was in at that the same time.   Flew a lot in Hueys and got to fly in Blackhawks when they first came out.   Blackhawks had the power but there was something special about flying in a Huey.   Good times......

• Like 1