The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Eduard Bf109E-4 "Yellow 13", 9/JG54, 1940

Hello all,

Here is my latest WIP. I have had it on the bench about two months and slowly getting through it. As I approach the end, I have finally uploaded the photos, so it will be a shortened WIP. 

imagejpg1_zps5b3ecbc9.jpg

imagejpg6_zpscd07d962.jpg

imagejpg3_zps2b0cefd7.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd98b173e.jpg

imagejpg3_zps9c95a966.jpg

imagejpg5_zps714aee5b.jpg

imagejpg9_zpsac123a7f.jpg

imagejpg6_zps30c9b38b.jpg

imagejpg4_zps4ae29377.jpg

More to follow

Regards,

Kent

• Like 2

Cool!  Hope its been a pleasant project.  Not far from the end now - looking forward to seeing the end result.  What's the go with the undercarriage mod?  Cheers, Ralph.

There is a fix list for the E-1 that Thierry Laurent has put together over at LSP. I based some of the fixes here on that list. One is the oleo are 2mm too long, giving a more "gangly" appearance to an already gangly stance. Apparently it is fortunate the MLG leg is the right size because cutting off the oleos and retraction struts allows you to shorten them by 2mm, giving a better sit.

It has been quite pleasant and thus far a relatively stress free build but there is the weathering to come next and my nemeses, the exhaust stains. Although from period pictures these appear to be better maintained in 1940 than the later war era 109.

Thanks for looking in.

Regards,

Kent

Nice! How did you go with the upper wing to fuselage join?

Cheeers Bevan

Thanks Bevan.

The upper wing fuselage wasn't that bad. Some fenagling and Tamiya thin a little at a time. The lower wings and rear fuselage was a nightmare. There was a step a mile wide at the curved area where it moves onto the fuselage sides. I don't think I "nailed" it but I am close. 

imagejpg1_zpsc37b515f.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsc4c73e13.jpg

imagejpg15_zps0efc975c.jpg

imagejpg9_zpsac123a7f.jpg

imagejpg21_zps46adcdad.jpg

imagejpg24_zpsce4dcc3e.jpg

imagejpg23_zps2be20397.jpg

imagejpg4_zps2f2e0169.jpg

As you can hopefully see it's close.

Regards,

Kent

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positives fellow modellers, it is appreciated.

I thought I would show you a quick progress of the wheels. The kit wheels are not good so I purchased a set of the Eagle Editions and a set of Eduard Brassin for comparison. The EE look mile ahead of the kit supplied but I went with the Brassin for this build. Brassin are interesting in they give you one set of wheels but two sets of hubs. The first are a one piece affair and the second a two piece. I went with the kit tyres and the two piece Brassin.

imagejpg2_zps5045a2af.jpg

imagejpg6_zps30c9b38b.jpg

imagejpg1_zps549ceb3e.jpg

And here is where we are after a Flory's (ProModeller) dark dirt wash and a coat of rattle can Dullcote:

imagejpg2_zpsa5ffaf9d.jpg

imagejpg4_zps833885a5.jpg

imagejpg3_zps68366768.jpg

I'll let that set up overnight and then maybe another round of Dullcote and some more subtle weathering. I am at the point now where I have to seriously resist taking the masking off the canopies!

Regards,

Kent

• Like 1

Great to see the progress Kent.  A colourful and unusual scheme - well worth having a go at.  Can I ask who's points you used for the camo colours? In the earlier pics they look too matte to be Gunze acrylics. Cheers, Ralph.

Great to see the progress Kent.  A colourful and unusual scheme - well worth having a go at.  Can I ask who's points you used for the camo colours? In the earlier pics they look too matte to be Gunze acrylics. Cheers, Ralph.

Thanks Ralph.

The paints are Aeromaster warbirds enamels for the 02 and 65 that I got off the guy in the US on Evilbay. The 71 is the Humbrol enamel from their new line of RLM enamels. It stays flatter than the Aeromaster, even under a couple of gloss coats!

Thanks for stopping by.

Kent

Thanks Kent.  I've had some strange results with the Gunze RLM acrylics.  Spray beautifully; decal/seal/weather/seal/flat coat the model; come back 6 months later only to find very fine cracks in the paintwork.  Will try some home-mixed 71/02/65 from Tamiya acrylics for the next one.  Cheers, Ralph.

I got a bit of a rush to the head and installed the antenna wire. Stretched EZ line with CA blobs for insulators and a brass wire "spring". Made a cone for the wind deflector out of stretched card.

imagejpg2_zps8aadfd7c.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsc41b1cc5.jpg

imagejpg3_zps7cd46eba.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsafb74caa.jpg

imagejpg5_zps353efbfd.jpg

Then added the wheels:

imagejpg2_zps9d317ff4.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Kent

End run time. I have completed the build. Canopy attached and an EZ line, coiled spring attached. Wheel covers on. ID lights on the wing tips and a 1mm "little lens" for the rear light.

imagejpg5_zps19b58745.jpg

imagejpg6_zps52da4ac2.jpg

imagejpg4_zpsc524ced8.jpg

imagejpg2_zps40ff4336.jpg

imagejpg9_zps33ec0fce.jpg

imagejpg11_zpsab479936.jpg

imagejpg10_zps76f586a2.jpg

imagejpg13_zpsf887cf02.jpg

Thanks for the comments and support. I will tray and get some "glamour" shots on RFI shortly.

Regards,

Kent

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...