Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Mosquito B Mk.IV

• Administrators

Morning folks!

I've been busy beavering away on the HK Models Mosquito for the last week. This has been an exercise in understanding how the 350 parts go together. Thats right...I have no instructions ;)

Ideally, I want to build the version which carries a cookie, and also one with shrouded exhausts. Another thing I'd like to include are the invasion stripes.

Matt suggested this:

10615516_10205476350731104_4695800003584

This is a possibility, but you'll notice un-shrouded exhausts. That's no big deal, but if anyone can suggest additional schemes with cookies and stripes, can you post here?

I promise I'll include a couple of build images later today, or tomorrow, depending on how things go.

• Like 1

Guest Kagemusha

I'm no doubt wrong, but I think the shrouded exhausts weren't in use that late in the war. DZ637 took part in the Oslo Gestapo HQ raid which more than makes it a worthy choice.

Any idea of the price? 

• Administrators

I'm no doubt wrong, but I think the shrouded exhausts weren't in use that late in the war. DZ637 took part in the Oslo Gestapo HQ raid which more than makes it a worthy choice.

Any idea of the price? 

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that info. I think this could be the one then. I can't find any info for the wing stripes etc......if you have anything, I'd be very appreciative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Ok, you want an update?

As this is for a magazine, I've been darting all over the model, building and test fitting many sub-assemblies. I've no paint laid yet, and of course, there are still cockpit revisions that HK need to make, as well as a number of other exterior detail changes etc. Even though this is supposed to be released in a couple of months or so, it's still very much a work in progress for HKM. 

The famous one-piece wing is open at the trailing edge, and into that you will insert the module which forms the fuel tank area of the bomb bay. The fit is pretty darn good, as you can see. Here are the options for the cookie and the regular bomb load:

DSC03765.jpg

DSC03766.jpg

DSC03767.jpg

The cockpit is built up as a module, and when complete, it simply slides into the single-piece nose, utilising a couple of plastic rails. Pit detail is superb, but HK are still working on the starboard wall. To get the kit ready on time for Telford, HK intentionally mirrored the walls. These parts are the very first out of the moulds, and they were literally moulded just hours before being packing up for the UK show!

DSC03758.jpg

DSC03759.jpg

DSC03761.jpg

DSC03771.jpg

DSC03772.jpg

DSC03773.jpg

DSC03774.jpg

I have only just begun to work on the engines, and these are far from complete. There are still other components to fit. Engine bearers are excellent and very robust. I'm still waiting for the exhaust stubs yet. They will probably be on the sprue which contains the two-stage Merlin parts.

DSC03770.jpg

DSC03769.jpg

Engine nacelles have an excellent level of detail within the gear bays. These pretty much mirror the style of detail in the Do 335 wells, with pipes that interconnect from one part to the other. Such a great model. I can't wait to lay paint on this.

DSC03775.jpg

DSC03776.jpg

DSC03768.jpg

A module builds up which plugs into the rear, slide-moulded fuselage. Like all bomb bay bulkheads, these are moulded with the door arms. I'm not really a fan of this as they could easily break. I have reported this back to HK, but I don't know if these will be revised. The same design feature exists on the Do 335 too.

DSC03762.jpg

DSC03763.jpg

This kit has a hollow, single-piece stabiliser, and also rudder. The tail wheel assembly sits to the lower side of the tailplane, and then the whole lot inserts into the tail area, with a fuselage fairing which slots into place. The fit is excellent. Don't forget, this is a FIRST test shot! 

DSC03764.jpg

DSC03777.jpg

DSC03778.jpg

I hope you like her so far.

See, I DO actually build stuff!! ;)

• Like 3

Wow! What a kit!!!! Jim, any chance you could score some shots for a short documentary on how HKM creates these molds?? It would be great to see how these parts are made!! Great start! Can't wait to get this kit!!

Cheers

Alan

• Administrators

I'm hoping to have some tooling information in the not too distant future. 

I'd love to drop in and spend a few days with these guys and do an interview.

Perhaps in the near future, I can at least get the interview part done.

• Like 1

Just to make sure, the circular shapes on the cockpit side are not ejector Marks but represent ply discs. These

Were used on the real Mosquito to fit the equipment to the cockpit walls and were glued and screwed.

Cheers

Cees

Just to make sure, the circular shapes on the cockpit side are not ejector Marks but represent ply discs. These

Were used on the real Mosquito to fit the equipment to the cockpit walls and were glued and screwed.

Cheers

Cees

Yeah, it's great that HK includes them in their moulds. The big Airfix Mossie didn't have them....

On the other hand I see raised circles on the armourplating. These were in fact painted on yellow circles. So the raised detail must be sanded off. It is claimed the yellow circles marked the steel items in the cockpit. The compass could be affected and had to be corrected.

But then again HKM can also have meant these to represent head rests? Jim do you have any instructions at all?

Cees

That is an interestng bit of info Cees.... the iron and steel parts (no matter how small) would throw the compass right out.... makes sense to mark them so when the tech staff did a compass swing they could properly calibrate and position the compass....you learn something everyday!

Cheers

Alan

well, steel can certainly affect the compass. If I remember well, those yellow circles was showing a side, facing away from the side of the protection. Armour was created from a kind of a sandwich.

You can see such a dots in a Lancaster as well - which was an airplane made from metal.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

The Mosquito test shot had undergone so many changes that I have now abandoned the first one I had. This (still buildable!) will be on its way to Mal to make some masks.

I now have the 2nd test shot, and work has started on this proper. If I thought the Do 335 was the most fun I've ever had with plastic, I have to say that this is even better.

HK are making changes to this, so some things I've done here may, or may not, feature in the final release. I've added the instruments to the rear of the IP, as well as wiring, and other stuff such as the metal strips which run around the pedal box housing and that tray which sits on top of it. 

You'll notice I'm skirting around with this, but that's the nature of a mag build.....many areas are built at the same time.

DSC_0885.jpg

DSC_1246.jpg

DSC_1256.jpg

• Like 5