Jump to content

Arado Ar 234B-2/N


Jim H
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

Hi folks,

 

I have two mag projects running concurrently. One is the Mosquito, and the other is the brand new Fly Model Arado Ar 234B-2N Nachtjäger. I will more than likely do this in a single green upper colour, but using some stylising to make it look a little different. 

 

valek02.jpg

 

This is the scheme I'm thinking of doing. It;s a lighter green than shown here.....and NO splinter!

 

2_22_b1.jpg

 

The B-2/N ha TWO crew positions, and that cannon pod below the belly.

 

Despite the Fly Model kit being a short-run kit, and obviously going to be compared to the MDC kit, I really can't wait to sink my teeth into this. I have a soft spot for Fly, having built the Bachem Ba 349 Natter for Military Illustrated Modeller. The Arado looks to be light years ahead too. Here is my Natter:

 

MIM_031_OFC-1.jpg

 

Photos of the Arado tomorrow! Stay tuned!

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Here we go!

 

I've been working on this one at the same time as the Mosquito, but this one has taken a little precedence until HK deliver me the new cockpit parts.

 

Again, I've worked on quite a lot of different parts on this one. Resin is all now cleaned up and casting blocks ground away, especially on the rear pit area, as I need to reduce as much weight as I can in that area. You also need to cut away the plastic for the upper rear cockpit on this model, and the clear part fits great if you take it slowly. I just need to wrap some sandpaper around a drill and clean up those small circular windows. 

 

DSC03779.jpg

 

DSC03782.jpg

 

 

Fitting the lower canopy to the chin wasn't going to be easy, differences in curvature, and lots of gaps were also going to hinder me if I fitted this at a later stage. I decided to fit if before painting. I first had to add plastic shims and do some careful sanding, and all that was left was a small seam that I ran Mr Dissolved Putty into. I'll now paint this area with that glass in place. Here are the chin and internal components which I've started to build. These are more or less just awaiting paint.

 

DSC03780.jpg

 

DSC03781.jpg

 

 

It was my idea to do something a little different with one of the engine nacelles, so I'll be opening one up to display a Jumo 004, from a Trumpeter Me 262 kit. The engine fits a charm into the nacelle, even with the resin parts. Very little work to do to get this to work together.

 

DSC03783.jpg

 

 

I have done more work, such as glue RATO pods, wheels etc. I'll lay paint on this kit at the weekend.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here we go!

 

I've been working on this one at the same time as the Mosquito, but this one has taken a little precedence until HK deliver me the new cockpit parts.

 

Again, I've worked on quite a lot of different parts on this one. Resin is all now cleaned up and casting blocks ground away, especially on the rear pit area, as I need to reduce as much weight as I can in that area. 

 

................................................

 

Oh, that's a very good point! I was planning on leaving most of it on, being intrinsically lazy, but didn't take tailheaviness into account! Thanks!

 

Oh, BTW, wouldn't they have left the bomb aiming set between the rudder panels out, also to save weight, seeing that those antler-antennae did cause massive amounts of drag?

Edited by Erik B.
Forgot something...
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was my idea to do something a little different with one of the engine nacelles, so I'll be opening one up to display a Jumo 004, from a Trumpeter Me 262 kit. The engine fits a charm into the nacelle, even with the resin parts. Very little work to do to get this to work together.

 

DSC03783.jpg

love this.  great idea Jim.  I am in on this one!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I really DO apologise for my tardiness in keeping this one up to date. When this happens, I promise that I HAVE been working, but magazine work can get seriously engrossing.

 

Ok, much has happened with this, to the point where the model is about ready to airbrush. I thought I'd share a few images with you, and one where you can see that the night fighter version needs to have the rear area cut away to incorporate the clear glazing.

 

OH....and I riveted the WHOLE model!!! (using a beading tool)

 

DSC_0912.jpg

 

DSC03779.jpg

 

DSC_0972.jpg

 

DSC_0942.jpg

 

DSC_0958.jpg

 

DSC_0970.jpg

 

DSC_0989.jpg

 

DSC_1007.jpg

 

DSC_1017.jpg

 

DSC_1053.jpg

 

DSC_1064.jpg

 

DSC_1066.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent work Jim, very impressive.

 

Still awaiting mine to arrive from Czech. Unfortunately the Czech/English postal services managed to loose the first kit they sent so new one has just been despatched. Better luck this time I hope. You guys will all be done before mine arrives LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...