The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1/32 Revell Bf 109G-10 Erla build

Last photo before closure...

IMG_0248_zps2bocmesa.jpg

With a new instrument panel with G-6 early/late decals.

Thank goodness, the fidly bits job is done. Now I can glue chunks of plastic I can actually see together.

Rob

:piliot:

• Like 5

When you check this...

http://falkeeins.blogspot.nl/2011/09/erich-hartmanns-last-bf-109-g-10.html

...and look at the photo with the red kopierschutz (copyright) written on it.

Looks like the larger wheels...can't see the tail wheel, but it looks like the rear fuselage is standing high on it's feet, so...tall tail wheel.

Hope this helps,

Rob 

Hey Rob,

Three things; firstly, nice save on the I/P dials. Some very nice work in that cockpit...

Secondly, the outside seat brackets are most likely for a map case or likewise storage for documents. Similar brackets are evident on period photos of Bf109's back to the F-2 series.

Lastly, the third photo from the Falke Eins site is of a later K-4 variant, which had the long stroke tailwheel leg as standard.

Keep up the great work,

Steve.

• Like 1

Ah! okey. I didn't look into the Hartmann machine specs that much, because I'm doing a different G-10.
Now I think of it...I read the Hartmann G-10 had the small kidney shaped bulges, so probably not the larger wheels.
Barracuda has a fix for this.

Where I am now:

Closed the fuselage and attached the inner top wing parts with the wheel wells.
Uneventful...apart from the known issues. Mainly the poor fit of the cockpit rear panel to the fuselage.
When unattended, the fuselage will balloon out and not meet the rear wall properly. I removed the notches on the inside of the fuselage, because they push the rear wall forward too much. Instead I made some support blocks there and forced the fuselage to fit properly. CA glue needed.
Still a small gap on the top, but that's inevitable and easily solved with a bit of filler.

Another minor issue:

IMG_0257_zpssycm2uit.jpg
The 2 pins on the lower wing are too short. When you force them in place the rear wing edge will be V shaped instead of straight...and the flaps won't fit in.
Best remove both pins and replace them with a support block.

Hope this made sense...tried to explain, because it seems at least two others are working on the same kit now.

Both issues apply to the G-6 early/late kit also.

More soon,

Rob

• Like 2

Maybe some find this useful.

Perhaps the battle hardened modelers find it yawningly boring, but after all.... we have more guests than regulars.

Paint with metalic pigment powder...

metalic_zps81rlwjxo.jpg

Much easier than dry brushing and imho...a nicer result.

Great for engines, gun barrels, radiotors and whatever you can think of.

Be careful with varnish and water though.

• Like 3

Finished the plumbing on one side panel...

IMG_0211_zpsfaed56b3.jpg

Removed most of the original plumbing and replaced it with stretched sprue, evergreen, brass wire, aluminium tube and scrap PE.

Made it all somewhat more 3 dimensional.

On to the other side now...that's the easier side, so I hope to speed up a bit :rolleyes:

nice wiring job!

• Like 2

A change of plans...

The "yellow 6" will go in the fridge for now.

Since I want to build a G-10 with the large wheels...and matching bulges, it will become the "black 22" instead.

black22_zpsr1pl3ojk.jpg

Bare metal wing undersides, solid RLM 81 on top and additional RLM 81 mottling on the fuselage.

I asked Roy about this to make sure I don't blunder :unsure:

Basecoat after lunch!

Rob

• Like 3

Been busy, but mainly with a RLM colour quest and figuring out how the colour scheme was build up.
Found the photo of this plane, but sadly can't show it, because it's copyrighted.
Even though it's a pretty good photo, there's still a lot of guessing involved and I read there's some debate about the colour of the "22".
Barracuda provided both black and blue (might as well be green or red?). The bright sunlight on the plane makes it all a bit difficult.

Two things I disagree with the Barracuda scheme: The yellow band on the nose is a bit too wide and I think the spinner should be black instead of black green.
They compared the shadow side of the prop to the sunlit part of the spinner I guess.

Nice about this scheme...the plane is made of a green nose and tail section, with a 74/75/76 mottled fuselage in between.

Additional RLM 81 mottling (rather roughly) to make it all blend. The solid RLM 81 wings is non standard also. The tailpane has the 81/82 camo on it though.

Bare metal underside of the wings

colours_zpsr4cwc9mb.jpg

The two different versions of the RLM 81 colour confused me, but I guess the Barracuda guys did their research.

Took me some effort to find the matching Vallejo colour for it, but the 71.017 (Russian green) seems to be good for it.

A lot of time consuming masking involved....like an hour masking for 2 minutes airbrush fun :wacko:

More soon...just showed this to prove I didn't fled the scene. :lol:

Rob

Edit: the RLM 80 swap on the photo is RLM 82 Bright Green (Vallejo Air 71.022 Cam Green).

I'm working on a RLM colour chart for Vallejo. Imho some call outs are wrong and some others need some drops of this or that to make them okey (like 74 and 75).

• Like 4

That's looking great and it will be cool to see this one finished! As a third of the prop was painted white I'm very confident that the spinner was 70 as it was a factory standard.

Regarding the yellow, in one of the photos it's clear that the demarcation line goes right through the rear small air intake on the cowling and I did it the same in the profile, it's possible that the intake is in the wrong place though, good drawings are hard to find! :)

The second photo of this aircraft is not widely published but if you're interested just PM me and I'll dig it out for you. (I guess you've seen the one taken from the front of the aircraft?)

/ Anders

• Like 1

Thanks a lot!

You must be Anders Hjortsberg :)

Perhaps you can shed some light on the green RLM 81?
Was this an Erla makeshift colour due to a paint or pigment shortage?
And...is the colour I picked for it okeyish? I do hope so :unsure:

Thanks again

Rob

Edit:

Where I am now...

g10black22_zpsoshocvwt.jpg

Shows what happened on the production line...they squeezed in one of the last 74/75/76 fuselages. Or used a recovered one from a damaged plane.

• Like 3

Hi,

Your G-10 looks great. I really like what you have done with this kit so far. Can't wait to see what it looks like when finished!

Anders is very knowledgeable when it involves Luftwaffe aircraft and camouflage. He is definitely the right person to help you sort things out.

Cheers

Rick R.

• Like 1

Done the scary part...

IMG_0289_zpskbsutr6g.jpg
First the regular 74/75 mottling, followed by the 81 blending and additional mottling.

Tried hard to keep it a bit soft...somewhat less massive green than the Barracuda example.

Looking forward to do the decals and the prop now.

Getting somewhere now.

Rob

• Like 3

That's looking very good! I'm following this with great interest! No pressure, I'm only trying to help! :)

BTW - something many seems to get wrong are the upper wing crosses, the smaller version as used on Black 22 and others should be placed further out on the wing, in the position shown on the right hand side of the top view instructions.

/Anders

Thanks...and yes, I took notice of the smaller top wing crosses.

Easy to overlook that....I even hold the manual underneath my magnifying lamp....before I figured out I could download the adobe acrobat version :unsure:

Full screen now and that's a good thing with my not so 20/20 eyesight :lol:

Today was Barracuda day.

Worked on the Barracuda G10 prop...
bf109g10_7_zpstq9ze7is.jpg
Together with the HGW seatbelts and the Barracuda decals the only aftermarket item I'll use.

The prop looks really nice....very thin. Only needed some very minor sanding near the base.
The spinner....can't get better than this and goodbye to the dreadful construction of the Revell version of it.

I expect the "alignment jig" this week...will finish it when I get it.

And a start with the decals...
bf109g10_8_zpsohdifzlg.jpg
From the part 1 G10 set. Beautiful decals made by Cartograph.
Even the smallest stencil is readable...under a magnifying lamp. Very...very nice.

Found one error on the sheet though...the "yellow 6" (planned to be my next G10) is out of register.
The black border of it doesn't cover all the yellow...so there is yellow outside the black border.
This will show...specially since the 6 is painted on a dark green background (to cover a previous number).

Well...this was my last update before I can show the finished model.

Still a lot to do, but absolutely nothing worth bothering you guys with.

Expect to finish it  next week....fingers crossed.

Rob

• Like 3

Sorry to hear about the Yellow 6 decals, you can have mine though as I don't plan on using them. If I change my mind I think I can get new ones anyway. :-)

Nice to see this bird in blue numbers! Adds a nice touch of color!

PM me regarding the 6's...

• Like 1