The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

EPIC HGW WET TRANSFER FAIL

rkranias

Not sure what happened. 

• Water not hot enough?
  • Let transfers sit overnight before I removed "foil?
  • Is 3 to 4 hours the max time before removing the "foil"?
  • Varnish did not allow the decal to "bite" to the surface
  • Is preferred surface a "non varnish"?

I peeled off the "foil" and this happened.  The transfer (image/art/text) came off with the "foil".

HGW_Fail.jpg

Any coaching or solution would be much appreciated.

Did you apply to a gloss surface using decal setting solutions?

I coat my models in Klear beforehand, and use Mr Mark Setter.

The wood nail rows I added to my Ba 349 were from the same technology.

This afternoon I did a test, applied decal on gloss varnished surface waited 4 hours...fail.

Will try Mr.Setter on my next test.

Thanks JH!

Rick, I believe you really DO need to use a setting solution.

Mark Setter is hotter than Micro Sol etc....

Give it a try.

Jim I use Micro Sol Blue and Red and have  had no issues with it. I noticed today at the hobby shop that Tamiya has a new decal solution. Is Mr.Setter better than both. Also do you apply it to the model before appling the decal?

Probably a silly question Rick...

But I notice that the Hakenkreuz is back-to-front. Is it possible that you put them on upside-down?

S

most observant.  that is how I peeled off the wet transfers. I just waded them up, along with several colorful metaphors.  :)

Hi Rick,

I did not use any setting solution when I applied my Fw 190 sheet. I had 2 or 3 decals that gone apart when I pulled off the foil cause I did not rubbed them down properly.

I think this is the main point with them: rubbing them down on a gloss surface. A cotton bud is too soft, I did it with a bit of sprue sanded round on one side.

HGW-decals_on_190_zpszuup4bhv.jpg

Greets,

Torben

Hi Rick,

I did not use any setting solution when I applied my Fw 190 sheet. I had 2 or 3 decals that gone apart when I pulled off the foil cause I did not rubbed them down properly.

I think this is the main point with them: rubbing them down on a gloss surface. A cotton bud is too soft, I did it with a bit of sprue sanded round on one side.

HGW-decals_on_190_zpszuup4bhv.jpg

Greets,

Torben

Thanks for the tip Torben.

Did you rub while transfer was wet?  Dry? 

Thanks for the tip Torben.

Did you rub while transfer was wet?  Dry? 

Directly before I pulled off the cover foil. I think during drying process the decal itself gets sticky on the lower side, but sometimes the evaporated water leaves small air bubbles between decal foil and kit surface. A gentle rub adjusts that and helps to separate from cover foil. Hope that works.

-Oh, and great work so far on your butcher bird!

Jim I use Micro Sol Blue and Red and have  had no issues with it. I noticed today at the hobby shop that Tamiya has a new decal solution. Is Mr.Setter better than both. Also do you apply it to the model before appling the decal?

Micro Sol/Set is some of the mildest decal stuff out there Ralph. Everything else is a step up. It is what I use though. I always start with the Micro Scale products. Rarely use the Micro set unless needed. But….. I have other brands on the bench when needed.