The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Bf 109G-10, 2./JG 300, "Red 5" (1/32 Hasegawa + EagleParts)

• Members

The first half of my "build-off" is complete.  This is the Hasegawa Bf 109G-10 with the EagleParts Erla conversion set.  I had two conversion sets in the stash prior to the Revell Erla G-10 release.  Although it's a little more work grafting on the resin nose, to me the EP cowl looks much more the part than the Revell kit which is a little anemic in the forward portion of the cowl and I don't think they did a real good job capturing the subtle shapes of the 110 cowl.  Other than the cutting and sanding that goes with a resin conversion not much to report.

I did use fair amount of add on goodies on this one:

• BarracudaCast Spinner and Propeller Blades
  • BarracudaCast Wheels
  • BarracudaCals Erla Bf 109G-10 Part 1
  • Quickboost Exhausts
  • Quickboost MG 131
  • G-Factor Landing Gear
  • Aries Cockpit
  • EagleParts Erla Conversion set
  • EagleParts Battery Cover
  • Master Details Drop Tank
  • Master Details Wheel Bay Inserts
  • Replacement Tail Wheel (MFR unknown)

Paint: Mr. Color shot with Grex Tritium GS airbrush with .2mm needle

bf109g10_red5_1.JPG

bf109g10_red5_2.JPG

bf109g10_red5_3.JPG

bf109g10_red5_4.JPG

bf109g10_red5_5.JPG

bf109g10_red5_6.JPG

bf109g10_red5_8.JPG

• Like 8

• Members

Fabulous in every possible way! Saw the pics on FB, but it looks even better, here!

I'm also anxious to see you finish the Revell kit and to give an outline of your preferences, overall (that is, if you intend to do that).

John

John, I do indeed!  I've also got a couple of AMUR Reaver Erla resin cowls inbound so I may even throw that into the mix.

• Like 2

John, I do indeed!  I've also got a couple of AMUR Reaver Erla resin cowls inbound so I may even throw that into the mix.

Glad you brought that up, actually. After seeing your G-10s and another that was recently completed on LSP, I've been looking into the Revell kit and what it would take to make the "ultimate" G-10. The AMUR Reaver parts seem to be pretty nice from what I've seen. When the time comes, I may go that route, as well. I still like the Hasegawa kits for the earlier Gs, but Revell seems to have it going on for the G-10 and my hopes are high that they can produce a K-4 that's at least as good. Keeping my fingers crossed.

John

• Members

Another lovely finish. I really like how a little color of on the fuse number and/or ID bands can really set these things off.

I know you use Mr. Color. I've not used any of their RLM colors since switching over. Do you use them straight out of the bottle or do you custom mix?

Jim, I use them right out of the bottle.  I think sometimes I get some color shift though because I have a bad habit of dumping thinned paint back into the bottle if there's a significant amount of paint left over.  I don't have a huge amount of contrast between the 74 and 75 but in some photos it looks like this was the case anyway, at least that's what I tell myself!

• Members

I don't know how "correct" they are but I've always found your colors seem correct to my eye...specifically the 74/75. They look better than the MM version...at least to me.

I think Mr. Color is pretty good right out of the bottle on most of their RLM colors.  The only gripe I have is their RLM 81 is the dark green variant, not the brown-violet variant.  Someone suggested mixing Olive Drab and Hull Red to get that, need to give that a try one of these days.

• Members

Flawless 'Schmitt, Mike. Very well done. Good pictures too. 

But I wonder about the RLM color discussion, it is certainly satisfying to be able to paint exactly the 'correct' colors,

especially as well done like this one - but I think that in reality any two Bf109's sitting next to each other on the apron

would look much more different than is assumed nowadays. 

George, absolutely.  I think it's more about what we perceive to be correct and what's pleasing to the eye.