The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Acrylic Metallics

GusMac

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any experience with Mig's Ammo acrylic metallics line? I'm trying to decide what to use for the burner cans, etc on my F15 but I don't want to use lacquers such as Alclad for a number of reasons. I've always had good results with previous Ammo products so wondered about these.

Any insights gratefully received.

Cheers Gus

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with the Mig metalics, but I tried the Vallejo acrylic Metal (Airbrush) Colors and I like them a lot!

IMG_0801_zpsgpdqhryi.jpg

A nice range of colours and very easy to work with...and no smell etc.

Can also mix them with other vallejo paints. I mixed the Model Color gold with copper and a bit of brown to create my own brass.

It dries a bit slower compared to "normal" Vallejo Air acrylics.

Rob

• Like 1

• Administrators

As for AMMO metallic paints, i just can help you asi never work with them.

Vallejo metallic acrylics are quite good.

I´m quite satisfied with them!

Fran

Thanks all. That link was very helpful Jeroen as I wasn't entirely sure previously whether the AK paints were 'true' acrylics.

Think I can see me spending a bit of my birthday cash on some samples to experiment with!

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning Gus, I have just tried the Vallejo AV Metallic range - Aluminium, steel, oily steel and gunmetal blue. Fantastic stuff! I am using them in conjunction with their range of pigments on my Hawk project and the results are far superior to anything I have used previously.

Regards, Dennis

Tamiya Acrylic thinners do a great job Gus - they do an excellent job of cleaning the brushes as well!. Another thing I have noticed Gus is the viscosity of this product appears to such that you don't need a lot to go a long way.

I just shake the bottle, open the lid, and dip my brush onto what has come out the top...and that always seems to be enough, in contrast to say, Tamiya's acrylics. The quality of these paints is just brilliant Gus - I think you agree if you decide to try them the finish is superior to standard Tamiya acrylic products (which, of course, is not to impune the Tamiya product in any way, the Vallejo product is just superior for metallic finishes). I hope this helps Gus.

To clear things up, there 3 types of Vallejo metalics.

1. The "normal"...Model Color acrylic metalic paint. For brushing on and when thinned down...can airbrush them also I guess.

2. Vallejo Air...ready to go airbrush acrylic paint.

3. The relatively new Vallejo "Metal Color" airbrush only, ready to go acrylic paint. Imho this new range is superior to the previous 2 mentioned

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/metal-color/family/33

on the bottom of the page is a PDF with the available colors.

A review test seen on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKX8j168IgM

• Like 1

The metal color line is the best of the Vallejo colors Gus - I have brought a couple of those finishes, but here in New Zealand they work out at almost twice the price of the brush on range. For me Gus, I am happy with the brush on versions (although, in saying that, I will be using the airbrush versions on future contest entries).

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting views on metal paints.!

I use and really like Vallejo's new line of Metalizer Paints. They are acrylic, hard as nails, can be masked with no lift off, are not hazardous to your health and smell good too, lol!! They have a complete line of colors which I use for all things metallic!

• Like 1

Agreed Ralph!(not sure about the smell though...I tried to smell one and nearly put the thing right up my nostril!) - I now prefer the Vallejo colors to my Tamiya acrylics. Vallejo also make a great line of pigments which I spied at the recent Nats here in New Zealand.

They look great!

• Like 1