The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Color Photo Etch Stripping

Heys guys 

I was wondering if anyone here had tried to strip the color off Eduard photoetch. Ive tried everything from 2Way thinner to acetone and everything in between. I did scratch so off and to be honest the "paint" is kinda thick and the detail underneath is probably really nice.

Im new around here so hello all.

Luke

Hi Luke,

Welcome to LSM. I am curious why you go through all that hassle to strip the photo etch?

Possibly because Eduard's idea of RLM66 for German cockpits is some weird dark blue colour?

S

Hi Luke,

Welcome to LSM. I am curious why you go through all that hassle to strip the photo etch?

Are you by any chance in the modelling industry looking at your forum name?

Thanks.

Cees

The reason I wanted to strip it was because of the kinda gritty texture on the color etch of the hornet etch. As for being in the industry i'm a professional (maybe a strong term) model maker/props master maker at Weta Workshop Ltd in Wellington. As for the etch i ended up using the sand blaster with Aluminium Oxide (42 microns) and Krow113 is kinda right under the "ink" is some detail the printing must be such that it adds to the detail.

If you want to get rid of all the paint quickly and completely, hold the P.E in a pair of pliers and place the part in the flame of a cigarette lighter or a match to burn the colour off. You can cool and clean the part in a small receptacle of water and once dry you're free to airbrush and hand paint your own details.

A sandblaster to remove photo-etch paint?

I also said there was NO detail under the paint on my 1/24 Eduard seat belts.

The paint fell off when I began working  with them.

I think a strip of metal would have been more obvious a choice rather than this balderdash.

If you want to get rid of all the paint quickly and completely, hold the P.E in a pair of pliers and place the part in the flame of a cigarette lighter or a match to burn the colour off. You can cool and clean the part in a small receptacle of water and once dry you're free to airbrush and hand paint your own details.

Just tried that. worked a treat on the larger parts the really thin parts not so much... maybe just some trial and error ahead.

A sandblaster to remove photo-etch paint?

I also said there was NO detail under the paint on my 1/24 Eduard seat belts.

The paint fell off when I began working  with them.

I think a strip of metal would have been more obvious a choice rather than this balderdash.

Sorry mate just miss read your original post. however you're still kind of right. the front keypad on the hornet radio had next to no detail under the paint. It was mostly just printed details.

Hi Luke,

Can you tell is what you have been involved in with Weta. Sounds like you have made a profession out of the hobby?

Cees

Yea I can tell you some of it. I have personally worked on World of Warcraft, Ghost in the Shell, Great Wall, and the WW1 Gallipoli Te Papa museum. http://wetaworkshop.com/projects/gallipoli-the-scale-of-our-war/, I also created the paint masters for Giant Killer Robots. And also did the material RnD for Power Rangers. Ive really turned a lifelong hobby in to a profession. Its pretty fun. unfortunately once i spend a 11 hour day being a modelmaker and props master, I often get home and look at my model building desk and sigh and go to sleep insteed... hehe