The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32 P-51D upgrade sets (for Revell kit)

James H

• Administrators

1:32 P-51D upgrade sets (for Revell kit)
RB Productions

Catalogue # see article for codes, links and price
Available from RB Productions

DSC00627.jpg

It’s been about a year since Revell released their newly-tooled 1:32 P-51D Mustang, and although we have had numerous aftermarket sets from the likes of Eduard, RB Productions has now released two new sets for this affordable kit of one of the most iconic WW2 fighter aircraft. These new sets were recently launched at Scale Model World 2018 (Telford) and I got my hands on them for this article. The sets in question are:

RB-C32008, P-51D Bomb Racks, €15,01
RB-C32009, P-51D Undercarriage Doors (for Revell kit), €18,00

Bomb Racks

C32008.jpg

This set, of course, could actually be used for any qualifying Mustang kit, and not just the Revell release. Presented in a small blister packet, this set contains an instruction sheet which double as the display materials, a single casting block with the two bomb racks, and a single PE fret with the swing arms. Parts are secured within a zip-lock wallet. The resin itself is a light grey material and the connection to the casting block is made on the underside mating surface, meaning that you don’t have to restore any details when removed. Clean-up will be a breeze. Detail is superb and refined, and the casting (I suspect MDC) is flawless. Of course, be very careful with protruding details. The racks themselves aren’t handed, but how you apply the swing arms will be crucial when it comes to how the bomb will hang.

DSC00628.jpg

A single PE fret contains eighteen parts. The obvious elements here are the swing arms themselves, which will be bent to shape using the template printed on the instructions sheet. The rest of the parts are for the discs which will hang off the end of the arms and come into contact with the munitions. A small length of wire will be needed to connect these to the swing arms. I would also fully drill out the arms to accommodate the wire. Spare discs are supplied, in case you lose one or two.

DSC00630.jpg

Instructions are simple to follow and nicely printed in colour. It’ also important that you note the orientation of the munitions, again shown on the sheet.

DSC00629.jpg

Undercarriage Doors

C32009.jpg

Packed into a similar blister as the previous set, this contains a single zip-lock wallet with each of the four light grey resin elements being cast on their own block. Connection to those blocks is my means of a thin, easily defined web of resin that could be cut through with a couple of passes of a sharp blade. Externally, the doors don’t really have details (as can be seen from reference photos), but internally, they most certainly do. Again, in comparison to reference images, RB Productions seems to have got these on the nail, with excellent pressed metal detail, rivets and access port to what I presume is the hinge mechanism. 

DSC00631.jpg

DSC00633.jpg

DSC00634.jpg

DSC00635.jpg

Again, the instructions are superbly illustrative, even if these direct replacements are fairly self-explanatory. 

DSC00632.jpg

Conclusion
Two very nice sets that can be used with the 1:32 pocket moneyP-51D Mustang from Revell, and of course, very easy to install. Excellent quality all-round, from casting to PE manufacture, and simple to understand instructions. What’s not to like! 

My thanks to RB Productions for the review samples seen here. To purchase directly, click the links in the article.

logo.jpg

• Like 2