The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Thoughts on MRP vs Mission Model Paints

Mikester

On 12/28/2018 at 4:18 PM, Mikester said:

Phil, personally I've never had much luck spraying Vallejo.  That being said I've never used the proper thinners either.   I recently picked up some Vallejo airbrush thinner and paint retarder so maybe I'll have a little better luck.  I have used the MMP to demo an airbrush and I have to say I was very impressed with how it went down and sprayed.

Spray Vallejo with 50% flow improver and 50% paint. Sprays like a dream. I personally like Ammo paints but I use Tamiya, MRP, Mr. Hobby… I used to use MMP but it’s like a science project to get those things to work properly. I have a lot of inconsistencies so I sold most of them. Createx makes a much better thinner for MMP. I think it’s the 4011 reducer. Its way better. I just bought a few bottles. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Paul F. said:

Spray Vallejo with 50% flow improver and 50% paint. Sprays like a dream. I personally like Ammo paints but I use Tamiya, MRP, Mr. Hobby… I used to use MMP but it’s like a science project to get those things to work properly. I have a lot of inconsistencies so I sold most of them. Createx makes a much better thinner for MMP. I think it’s the 4011 reducer. Its way better. I just bought a few bottles. 

Welcome to LSM, wow,  I’d forgotten about this thread. Wonder if anyones point of view have changed. I am still using Vallejo and still loving them. Two reasons they can be thinned perfectly and also being acrylic, no obnoxious smells. For NMF I have used Xtreme Metals and and also some old Xtracolour. Both are very pungent even with spray booths and vented externally…..

• Like 1

Obnoxious smells? Takes me back to my youth spraying lacquers in the body shop during the early ‘80’s!  But yea, I switched over to MRP and Mr. Color lacquers this year.  Love the results and the stroll down memory lane when using them. But proper ventilation is a must! 
I still have quite a bit of my Tamiya acrylics left and I’ll slowly use them up.

• Like 2

No issues with how Model Air paints shoot, it's what happens if the wrong thinner is used, or if the AB hasn't been cleaned out perfectly: a thick gooey mess needs to be dealt with and that's a major AB strip down. I prefer to use Model Air for hand painting and they are superb in that arena. 

My go to paints:

Lacquers: MRP, Tamiya Lacquers, and Mr Color.

Acrylics: Tamiya and Ammo by Mig

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2022 at 11:31 AM, Bomber_County said:

Welcome to LSM, wow,  I’d forgotten about this thread. Wonder if anyones point of view have changed. I am still using Vallejo and still loving them. Two reasons they can be thinned perfectly and also being acrylic, no obnoxious smells. For NMF I have used Xtreme Metals and and also some old Xtracolour. Both are very pungent even with spray booths and vented externally…..

Like yourself i am (mostly) a Vallejo user. But i have to admit i love Tamiya paints too. Just a shame their colour selection is rubbish. For metal colours i just love using the Vallejo Metal colour paints. Spray and brush an absolute dream and look stunning.

I just sold all my Xtracrylix paints. They were fantastic colours but an absolute bitch to get to spray right. I got fed up with fettling all the time.

• Like 2