Playing in the Sandbox Group Build Sept 1, 2024 - Jn 1, 2025

Pacific Coast announce next kit is Hawker Tempest

Guest styrenedemon

Wow. Another interesting subject from them, but the times I've looked in the boxes of their kits I haven't been all that impressed. Anyone have any experience on how well their stuff builds up?

• Like 1

Wow. Another interesting subject from them, but the times I've looked in the boxes of their kits I haven't been all that impressed. Anyone have any experience on how well their stuff builds up?

They say Sword have done the plastic for this, aren't they part of the whole MPM/special hobby family?

I built their Spitfire XIV which doesnt have any major vices or flaws I could see. Just typical limited run.

Hmmm indeed

I will be honest and say I am not PCM's biggest fan: mediocre website (that flatters them) and poor distribution (plus an owner who lives in cloud cuckoo land re his views on modelling bricks and mortar shops vs online retailers!)

I have looked closely (had the kits) at their Ta152 and both Spitfire IXs and thought there were just too many sloppy errors for my liking - it just seemed like they thought people wouldn't notice. If I can find stuff out on 30mins googling that they missed, then that's just not good enough in my book.

I don't have experience with their Italian stuff so can only comment on what I have seen.

For me, their kits are just not good value unless that particular subject is your own personal 'unicorn' or Grail.

Paying the same or more - assuming you can even find one in the UK - for a Fw190 A-3 or Hawker Hurricane than you would for a He111 or Ju88 is a just a no no for me...and I love the Hurricane!

Again, this is a function of their distribution outside of USA into UK / Europe [Why someone like HK Models uses them as a distributor is puzzling, but I suppose they have their reasons.]

That being said $75 is not unreasonable if you are Stateside for what should look quite imposing in 1/32, and having two to choose from is always good.

Maybe I'll be a PCM convert in a couple of months?!

:)

Guest styrenedemon

I had the Hurricane in my hands a couple of weeks ago. I almost grabbed it but the way it was packaged just wasn't very appealing. All the sprues were carelessly tossed in a bag. I don't know if that is their typical packaging or if it was done by the person trying to sell it. It just seemed like a risky buy based on what I was seeing. I'm a little encouraged to hear they are decent kits.

Roy Sutherland was involved in the production of the PCM kit - Ken Lawrence has said on HS: "Roy also worked very closely with Sword so that the kit is accurate."

Roy's aftermarket is some of the best and most accurate around, so that' a positive in my book.

Just to put it into perspective a little...

Roy Sutherland was involved in the production of the PCM kit - Ken Lawrence has said on HS: "Roy also worked very closely with Sword so that the kit is accurate."

Roy's aftermarket is some of the best and most accurate around, so that' a positive in my book.

Jerry Crandall was consulted in the production of PCM's Ta152H kit too... You know the one, where we were treated to the wrong cockpit, wrong oleos and gear bays, wrong engine etc. Subject knowledge doesn't always convert to an accurate kit, when the consultant doesn't have a hands-on role.

Granted, PCM's quality has improved since then, however I would still prefer to see the kit in it's entirety before I were to pre-order it sight-unseen. Got burnt on the Ta that way...

S

• Like 1

Hi Steve!

I have given up trying on the LSP thread, where apparently because I dared to suggest PCM's distribution was poor, and that they had made sloppy errors in some of their previous kits, I am 'not a serious person' (??) and a troll 

Hey ho...

Still, I'd be interested if you posted your response in that thread...go on...please! :)

I'd like to Nick,

But unfortunately I don't post on that site anymore. They know why and seem comfortable with it.

But I'm sure the Tempest will be a nice kit though...

S

• Like 1

Just to put it into perspective a little...

Jerry Crandall was consulted in the production of PCM's Ta152H kit too... You know the one, where we were treated to the wrong cockpit, wrong oleos and gear bays, wrong engine etc. Subject knowledge doesn't always convert to an accurate kit, when the consultant doesn't have a hands-on role.

Granted, PCM's quality has improved since then, however I would still prefer to see the kit in it's entirety before I were to pre-order it sight-unseen. Got burnt on the Ta that way...

S

There are a multitude of errors in some of the postings here. 

The one at the top for the decal profile sheet is my fault as I put up a draft rather than the finished sheet.  Roy called me shortly after and informed me, so I changed it to the final version.  You can see this on our site at: 

http://www.pacmodelscatalog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PCM&Product_Code=PCM+32016&Category_Code=pcm

Regarding the sprues being "carelessly" tossed into a bag is simply untrue and it is also impossible to determine the attitude of the person packing the kit.  I prefer to think that the sprues were "lovingly" placed into the bag. 

Sword and MPM are two different companies owned by two different people.  MPM made our Macchi kits and Sword made everything after those starting with the Re.2005.

FYI, our Spitfire kits (MK.IX and MK.XIV) were voted "Multi-media Kit of the Year" on LSP, so some people liked them.  We also sold out of them except for a handful of the IXe, so more people must have liked them.

Jerry Crandall was NOT involved in the making of our Ta.152H kit.  He WAS involved in vetting our Ta.152C kit for Sword.  While there is no doubt that the were some problems with the H kit, we did have a correction set made for which was supplied to those who asked for it at no charge.  We did sell out of the H kits and still get requests for them.  Sword took the criticisms to heart and our next kit was the Hurricane, another winner, along with all the other kits which followed.  It seems to me that it is time to put this story back on the shelf.    The 152C kit had no such problems and is recognized as an accurate example of the aircraft.

We have a retail web-site so that modelers can get our kits if they don't have a local hobby shop.  We never discount the retail price.  Our hobby shop customers are fine with this and we know because we explain to every new shop that starts to buy from us.  Also, retail customers buying from us pay the freight, whereas if they order it from their local shop, there is no freight charge.  If they have a local shop whom we know, we ask them to buy it from them.  If their local shop does not do business with us, we contact them to get them started.

Regarding the distribution of our kits, of course we want it to be more extensive.  We are working hard to make it so.

So for those people who like our kits and support us, we at PCM say a big "Thank You"!  We hope that more people will be pleased with our subject selection and buy our new kits.

Sincerely,

Ken Lawrence

Pacific Coast Models, Inc.                 

• Like 3

Hi Ken,

I have most of the PCM line - with the Re2005 completed and the Mc202 in progress - great subjects and kits that I've been extremely pleased with. One of the Hurricanes will be on the bench very soon... Oh - and my fave is the Mc200  :)

Supply here in the UK has been a little hit and miss - and I have to say that ordering from anywhere outside UK can be an expensive business (not just PCM - but also Wingnut, Squadron et al.). I've tended to get the kits when I see them - usually at shows like Telford.

Ta152H - wasn't aware there was a 'correction set' - don't suppose you have any left? Personally I think the 152 is OK (I'd never have expected an injected kit - and then we end up with two!) - a few errors - but nothing that wasn't fixable with a little modelling - and, yes, I will build mine.

Tempest - any plans on the Tempest II?

Iain

• Like 2

There are a multitude of errors in some of the postings here. 

The one at the top for the decal profile sheet is my fault as I put up a draft rather than the finished sheet.  Roy called me shortly after and informed me, so I changed it to the final version.  You can see this on our site at: 

http://www.pacmodels...tegory_Code=pcm

Regarding the sprues being "carelessly" tossed into a bag is simply untrue and it is also impossible to determine the attitude of the person packing the kit.  I prefer to think that the sprues were "lovingly" placed into the bag. 

Sword and MPM are two different companies owned by two different people.  MPM made our Macchi kits and Sword made everything after those starting with the Re.2005.

FYI, our Spitfire kits (MK.IX and MK.XIV) were voted "Multi-media Kit of the Year" on LSP, so some people liked them.  We also sold out of them except for a handful of the IXe, so more people must have liked them.

Jerry Crandall was NOT involved in the making of our Ta.152H kit.  He WAS involved in vetting our Ta.152C kit for Sword.  While there is no doubt that the were some problems with the H kit, we did have a correction set made for which was supplied to those who asked for it at no charge.  We did sell out of the H kits and still get requests for them.  Sword took the criticisms to heart and our next kit was the Hurricane, another winner, along with all the other kits which followed.  It seems to me that it is time to put this story back on the shelf.    The 152C kit had no such problems and is recognized as an accurate example of the aircraft.

We have a retail web-site so that modelers can get our kits if they don't have a local hobby shop.  We never discount the retail price.  Our hobby shop customers are fine with this and we know because we explain to every new shop that starts to buy from us.  Also, retail customers buying from us pay the freight, whereas if they order it from their local shop, there is no freight charge.  If they have a local shop whom we know, we ask them to buy it from them.  If their local shop does not do business with us, we contact them to get them started.

Regarding the distribution of our kits, of course we want it to be more extensive.  We are working hard to make it so.

So for those people who like our kits and support us, we at PCM say a big "Thank You"!  We hope that more people will be pleased with our subject selection and buy our new kits.

Sincerely,

Ken Lawrence

Pacific Coast Models, Inc.         

Thanks for the clarification Ken, I was merely speculating as two Czech companies tooling a Tempest V (sword and MPM) is strange and suggests some sort of connection. I look forward to seeing how the kits compare.

I have built the PCM Spitfire XIV and enjoyed every minute of building it

http://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/176-pacific-coast-supermarine-spitfire-xiv-132nd/#entry4766

it had a few small issues but nothing some actual modelling d after market couldn't resolve.

I Look forward to getting hold of the PCM Tempest.

• Like 1

Guest styrenedemon

Ken, glad to see you popping in and offering your version of things. Let me clarify my statement re: packaging. Understand that the kit I had in my hands was on a vendor table at a model show. This wasn't a retail vendor, but an individual seller, so there is no telling how the kit was treated.

I cannot comment on any of the kits beyond this; not on accuracy, fit, or anything else. I think some people are having a hard time understanding the difference between someone like yourself and say Tamiya with vastly different levels of resources to throw into kit production.

• Like 1

Ken, glad to see you popping in and offering your version of things. Let me clarify my statement re: packaging. Understand that the kit I had in my hands was on a vendor table at a model show. This wasn't a retail vendor, but an individual seller, so there is no telling how the kit was treated.

I cannot comment on any of the kits beyond this; not on accuracy, fit, or anything else. I think some people are having a hard time understanding the difference between someone like yourself and say Tamiya with vastly different levels of resources to throw into kit production.

Thanks for the additional details.  We receive the sprues in a re-sealable bag from Sword. This includes a plastic bag with the resin parts in the sprue bag.  We have had very, very few problems with damaged or broken parts over the years.  If it does occur, we send out replacements at no charge for them or freight.  We box the kits ourselves with a little assembly line, including me!  A part of me enjoys putting the parts into the boxes! 

Sword has continued to improve our kits along with help from various experts on the aircraft, so if you wish to try one, get one of the later ones.  The FW-190A0/1/2/3 is also a good kit which no other company makes in 1:32 scale.

Best Regards,

Ken

PCM, Inc.   

Hi Ken,

I have most of the PCM line - with the Re2005 completed and the Mc202 in progress - great subjects and kits that I've been extremely pleased with. One of the Hurricanes will be on the bench very soon... Oh - and my fave is the Mc200  :)

Supply here in the UK has been a little hit and miss - and I have to say that ordering from anywhere outside UK can be an expensive business (not just PCM - but also Wingnut, Squadron et al.). I've tended to get the kits when I see them - usually at shows like Telford.

Ta152H - wasn't aware there was a 'correction set' - don't suppose you have any left? Personally I think the 152 is OK (I'd never have expected an injected kit - and then we end up with two!) - a few errors - but nothing that wasn't fixable with a little modelling - and, yes, I will build mine.

Tempest - any plans on the Tempest II?

Iain

Hi Iain,

We do have some of the correction sets left, so send us an e-mail at: info@pacmodels.com with your address and ask for the Ta.152H-1 correction set and we will send it to you.

Thanks,

Ken

PCM, Inc.

• Like 3