The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

A little German help. Please

GazzaS

HI everyone,

I'm decorating a Reno Racer, and I need a German phrase in proper German.  I don't want to trust Google Translate.  I'm looking for the German equivalent of "Catch me if you can!"

Thank you for your help!

Gaz

• Like 1

Uhuuh, not so easy, 'Fang mich doch' or 'Krieg mich doch' would be possibilities as a short catchy phrase, but without the 'if you can'.
Completely it would be like 'Fang mich wenn Du kannst' oder 'Krieg mich, wenn Du es schaffst' not very catchy anymore with a comma and quite longish.

Mind the capital letters in German as I wrote it. It might be better to use only capitals to get a decent look.

May others have better ideas. I will think a little further, but maybe someone knows some historical backed phrases.

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

Just now, DocRob said:

Uhuuh, not so easy, 'Fang mich doch' or 'Krieg mich doch' would be possibilities as a short catchy phrase, but without the 'if you can'.
Completely it would be like 'Fang mich wenn Du kannst' oder 'Krieg mich, wenn Du es schaffst' not very catchy anymore with a comma and quite longish.

Mind the capital letters in German as I wrote it. It might be better to use only capitals to get a decent look.

May others have better ideas. I will think a little further, but maybe someone knows some historical backed phrases.

Cheers Rob

Rob,

Thanks for your effort.  I appreciate it.  Maybe there are other German racing related phrases that would work better.

Gaz

• Like 1

Great efforts.  But it doesn’t have to be historical.  I was thinking today that even a phrase German kids might use as a gentle taunt while they’re playing tag or something.  

• Like 1

The model is a racing plane.  It’s a warplane converted to a more peaceful purpose.  The guns are gone.  And the weapon related holes have been faired over.

Its been painted in bright colours and given civilian registration to it’s original call letters.  It has some artwork on the top and sides.

On the bottom of the wing, I’m looking for something for you the crowd to read as it passes overhead.  I considered some kind of advertisement, but gave that idea up as I didn’t really like it.  So, I came upon the idea of using a phrase that might either be a challenge or a friendly taunt.  Since it is a German registered aircraft, I need a real German phrase.  No eggholes....lol

2 hours ago, DocRob said:

I think I have to now more about your project.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GazzaS said:

The model is a racing plane.  It’s a warplane converted to a more peaceful purpose.  The guns are gone.  And the weapon related holes have been faired over

I see, I have a picture in my head, the plane is bright orange and carries the phrase 'Meisterjäger' which is something like 'master hunter' or 'hunter of the masters' in these old German gothic letters of the Jägermeister brand logo. 
When I lived in Berlin I once saw a guy on a bright orange race bike, with that Meisterjäger logo in white letters on the side and he was every bit of it. I hardly could follow him with my razor blade like KTM this time.

Bildergebnis für meisterjäger

Picture for discussing purpose only

Cheers Rob

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DocRob said:

I see, I have a picture in my head, the plane is bright orange and carries the phrase 'Meisterjäger' which is something like 'master hunter' or 'hunter of the masters' in these old German gothic letters of the Jägermeister brand logo. 
When I lived in Berlin I once saw a guy on a bright orange race bike, with that Meisterjäger logo in white letters on the side and he was every bit of it. I hardly could follow him with my razor blade like KTM this time.

Bildergebnis für meisterjäger

Picture for discussing purpose only

Cheers Rob

Well...  My plane is red,  MRP's "Red Baron Red" With black art and a few white highlights.  ... so far.  Just had some paint lift while adding the wing art.  Tiny spot, actually... 1mm X 5mm.   Enough to deflate the modelling high I had been on all day...

• Like 1

Ok, some other possibilities Gaz,

'Zu schnell für Dich' to fast for you
'Krieg mich doch' Try catch me
'Mensch ärgere Dich nicht' is the German name of the classic board game called Ludo in English. The meaning is: Man, don't get annoyed because you get kicked out often.
'Schneller als die Polizei erlaubt' Faster than is permitted by the police
'Viel Feind viel Ehr' ' The more enemy, the more honor
'Neid muss man sich verdienen' Envy you have to earn
'Schnell wie die Feuerwehr' Fast as the fire brigade

Cheers Rob

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DocRob said:

Ok, some other possibilities Gaz,

'Zu schnell für Dich' to fast for you
'Krieg mich doch' Try catch me
'Mensch ärgere Dich nicht' is the German name of the classic board game called Ludo in English. The meaning is: Man, don't get annoyed because you get kicked out often.
'Schneller als die Polizei erlaubt' Faster than is permitted by the police
'Viel Feind viel Ehr' ' The more enemy, the more honor
'Neid muss man sich verdienen' Envy you have to earn
'Schnell wie die Feuerwehr' Fast as the fire brigade

Cheers Rob

Thank you, Rob!  Those are all great!  Off to work, but I'll have time to ruminate on them for a few minutes here and there.

Gaz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi and cheers from German part of Swiss,

so I speak German, hope my comments are still useful.

I would translate as

"Catch me if you can!" —> Fang mich falls Du kannst.  And this with the Eierloch I never heard and would use, its to stupid 

To the other saying:

'Zu schnell für Dich' to fast for you —> okay
'Krieg mich doch' Try catch me —> Fang mich
'Mensch ärgere Dich nicht' is the German name of the classic board game called Ludo in English. The meaning is: Man, don't get annoyed because you get kicked out often. —> OKAY but seldom used
'Schneller als die Polizei erlaubt' Faster than is permitted by the police —> OKAY
'Viel Feind viel Ehr' ' The more enemy, the more honor —> Viele Feinde (Plural) grosse Ehre
'Neid muss man sich verdienen' Envy you have to earn —> Neid muss man sich erst verdienen
'Schnell wie die Feuerwehr' Fast as the fire brigade —> OKAY common too is: Schneller als die Feuerwehr.

Thats it

Regards

Ralph