The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

1:32 & 1:48 German Air Speed Indicators

James H

• Administrators
German WW1 Airspeed Indicators

GasPatch Models

Available from GasPatch Models

DSC01057_zpsd77103a2.jpg

Greek company, GasPatch Models are really beginning to cater to large scale WW1 modellers in a very unique way. We recently took a look at their excellent turnbuckles, produced in a number of styles, using a sintered metal power system. Modellers are now catching on that these are probably the ultimate solution for their rigging. Since then, they have released some 'Albatros-specific' which we hope to be able to bring to you. GasPatch have now turned their attention to accessories for WW1 aircraft, in both 1:48 and 1:32 scales. Ladies and Gentlemen, let me introduce to you the German WW1 Airspeed Indicator, or as it's more correctly known, the anemometer.

DSC01058_zps61cf6270.jpg

These are a real treat for the eyes before you even open the package. Both scales are packed into the same back-opening blister packaging, with attractive artwork and presentation. The four parts which make up the anemometer are sat within a precisely milled out foam piece, and I mean precisely. This aspect along is well worth mentioning.

DSC01060_zpsd22b1927.jpg

The anemometer is broken down into four basic parts. A small piece of white plastic contains two anemometer faces, so you get a spare, just in case. The other parts are a photo etch bezel to attach to the front of the instrument face, a delicate and precisely cast red resin instrument body, and lastly, probably the most amazing aspect of this....the anemometer wind vanes, which contain the 4 wind cups and associated frameworks, all as a SINGLE PART! 

DSC01061_zps8ebe55d2.jpg

DSC01062_zpsc96becb4.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what this is made from, but the production method must be very involved. No resin casting could produce such a fine and complex shape in one part. Again, is this made from sintering? I'm not sure, but the finish is fine,and also looks to have a metallic black hue. 

DSC01066_zps9f6107b5.jpg

Assembly is suggested with white glue on the instructions. Those instructions carry full colour assembly and painting detail. How you mount the anemometer to your model is your affair though, due to the numerous positions in which these were mounted. The instructions suggest the vanes to be in bronze, while the body is in black or light grey-green. The bezel should be either black or left in natural metal. I would affix the bezel to the instrument face using a drop of Klear or similar.

DSC01065_zpsbd971ac6.jpg

Conclusion

This is a very simple aftermarket accessory, but of of the most detailed and finely produced that I've seen for this genre. You will need to be seriously careful how you handle the anemometer vane assembly, and I would suggest you add the vanes with forceps, once the instrument body is attached to your model. As for the price, I think it represents excellent value for money. You simply will not get anything as detailed as this anywhere, let alone for under 8 Euros. You want to seriously enhance your model? Invest in one of these!

Very highly recommended

Our thanks to GasPatch Models for the review samples. To purchase directly, click THIS link.

GasPatchModels-Banner_zps20cbc4bf.jpg

• 9 months later...