The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Advice needed re' the aerial wires on Nakajima Ki-84.

9 hours ago, Spitfire said:

Here you go, I've not long finished the same kit and still have the information to hand.

CDeg5z.jpg

i8P2aV.jpg

Thanks very much.

I used invisible mending thread when I built 1/48. Should I use the same thread?

What is the best way to join thread to thread? For example where the thread from the horizontal stabilizer meets the wire aft of the antenna? What I need is advice on the actual modelling of these wires.

Many thanks. 

(I just woke up. Time to shower and go out to get a strong coffee)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Thanks very much.

I used invisible mending thread when I built 1/48. Should I use the same thread?

What is the best way to join thread to thread? For example where the thread from the horizontal stabilizer meets the wire aft of the antenna? What I need is advice on the actual modelling of these wires.

Many thanks. 

(I just woke up. Time to shower and go out to get a strong coffee)

I would think it would be best to use more tension on the main wire, then a little less on the side wire, just joining them with a tiny drop of CA. I did use this method with a bob’s buckles tube on my Corsair.

0FE262D2-D051-4B6A-B157-9A288231B78F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Aerial wires are not one of my favourite jobs on a kit, for the Hayate I drilled holes in the fin, stabiliser, fuselage and the aerial mast, I used stretchy Aeroclub thread (long OOP I think). I first ran a wire from the fin to the mast, then from the stabiliser to that wire attached with a blob of CA. Then a short stretch of wire from the fuselage also to the fin/mast wire, cutting off the excess with scissors . I think this took two attempts to get it all connected.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2019 at 10:16 PM, Spitfire said:

Aerial wires are not one of my favourite jobs on a kit, for the Hayate I drilled holes in the fin, stabiliser, fuselage and the aerial mast, I used stretchy Aeroclub thread (long OOP I think). I first ran a wire from the fin to the mast, then from the stabiliser to that wire attached with a blob of CA. Then a short stretch of wire from the fuselage also to the fin/mast wire, cutting off the excess with scissors . I think this took two attempts to get it all connected.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis. :thumbsup2:

• Like 3

I've had very good luck with VERY fine wire that I purchased on ebay, I can't recall the size at the moment. The best part about is the ability to remain somewhat rigid and retain its shape without a lot of tension. It also looks extremely realistic, and you can join two threads by wrapping one around the other and twisting it a bit. As for joining to the plane, usually small hole or eyelet made from wire works well.

Tim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1