The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Tamiya F4U-1 Birdcage redux

7 hours ago, Lothar said:

That's most impressive work you show here, I do have a soft spot for the Corsair but don't have the gutts to pull one out. Can't wait for more progress, hats off!!!

Lothar

Thank you! It isn't a difficult kit to build so why not give it a try? :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JohnB said:

Thank you! It isn't a difficult kit to build so why not give it a try? :)

Yes, indeed, why not? But only long after your remarkable build is finished and there's no more chance to compare mine to yours B)

Lothar

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lothar said:

Yes, indeed, why not? But only long after your remarkable build is finished and there's no more chance to compare mine to yours B)

Lothar

LOL! :D

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Bomber_County said:

John, I’ve started shooting some paint at my Corsair, be really interested in the way you approach weathering. Done loads on armour but never on aircraft......thanks

I look forward to seeing your finished model! :)

• Like 2

This is my 2nd try at posting this. For some reason all the pics were a little blurry after I posted them (the originals are not). So, I'll give it another shot.

All done! Another Corsair for the collection. VMF-214 painted with Colorcoats, Model Master and over sprayed w/Alclad clear flat. Decals are from the kit and my stash. I had intended to use HGW decals but decided to take a different route. I hope you like the results of my efforts.

Note: For some unknown reason the pics are coming up grainy. I'll re-post over on completed builds and see how they look there.

4-22-20 003.jpg

4-22-20 004.jpg

4-22-20 002.jpg

4-22-20 001.jpg

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, CrankyCrafstman said:

Wow great work John. How did you do the white tape marks on the upper fuselage for the fuel tank? I've been wondering how to accomplish this when I get around to doing mine.:unworthy::popcorn:

Ron G 

Thanks Ron. It's just strips of white decals. They are supplied on the kit decal sheet. Not difficult but tedious for sure. :)

• Like 1

Beautiful as ever John, just realised that mounted the rear windows in the wrong orientation :wallbash:and the over-sprayed them when doing the prep :wallbash: This build is doomed to fail because of my own lack of attention to detail :wallbash: Some scratching of head at the weekend, me believes........

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 4:08 AM, Bomber_County said:

Beautiful as ever John, just realised that mounted the rear windows in the wrong orientation :wallbash:and the over-sprayed them when doing the prep :wallbash: This build is doomed to fail because of my own lack of attention to detail :wallbash: Some scratching of head at the weekend, me believes........

I hate to hear that. You can get replacement sprues from Tamiya so why not try that? Save the model. :)

• Like 2

I'm with John. Try and get the parts you need to swap out. 

If not, use Tamiya lacquer thinner to strip the paint.  It won't hurt the plastic. I've had to do that several times, even on clear parts without a problem. You will most likely need to polish some residue off though but some rubbing compound will take of it. 

Carl

• Like 2

On 5/2/2020 at 6:56 PM, JohnB said:

I hate to hear that. You can get replacement sprues from Tamiya so why not try that? Save the model. :)

Thanks John, It my own stupid fault, there are a second set of rear cockpit windows in the box, they look right, maybe completed wrong. Any way it tried to remove the old set, one came out a peach the other.....:wallbash:.........I’ve boxed the whole lot up and resigned it to the SOD.........:raincloud:........can anyone tell me if the second are any use?......

19 hours ago, BlrwestSiR said:

I'm with John. Try and get the parts you need to swap out. 

If not, use Tamiya lacquer thinner to strip the paint.  It won't hurt the plastic. I've had to do that several times, even on clear parts without a problem. You will most likely need to polish some residue off though but some rubbing compound will take of it. 

Carl

Thanks Carl, that’s why LSM is a great community, it’s on the SOD for now.........:X:

• Like 2

Phil,

Parts number 20 and 21 are for a closed canopy (as I expect you already know). In a pinch they could substitute for the open canopy pieces #23 & #22. You could still use them, in your case one, to replace the buggered up piece. A little sanding around the outer edges might be needed to enable the "replacement" part to allow the sliding canopy to clear it. Just a thought.

John

• Like 2

On 5/3/2020 at 9:28 PM, JohnB said:number 20 and 21 are for a closed canopy (as I expect you already know

John, thanks for the heads up, sorry for the delay in replying this WFH is sometimes hectic. I’ll dig the Corsair out again and have a look.........

• Like 2