The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends July 3, 2024 ×

Could we have a photo archive section?

GazzaS

Please assume that I know nothing about bandwidth, web pages, and online storage...  because I don't.  There are a few places online where they have threads dedicated to entire machines, or nations machines...  Problem is, that as a single language speaker, I can't find anything not written in English.  I once knew of a Czech language site, but lost it.  I know there are some great Russian sites, but Google Translate is not always helpful with Cyrillic when it comes to proper names.  

I think it would be awesome if we had a place where we could collectively save our detail and model inspiration pictures so that anyone could find them.  I think it would also enlarge our footprint on the Interweb.  Is this doable with LSM's current capacity?  Is it something anyone would even want to take on?

Gaz

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Gaz, I tried to figure out what kind of archive you have in mind. Could you detail your idea a little bit more. What is the main idea, should it be an archive for historic pictures or one of builds or finished models, all of these can be inspirational?
How should the structure be made, because we can create topics, but no structures?
What would be the benefit in terms of redundancy of pics and information in e.g. WIP's and your archive?

Like you, I have no idea about what is doable, but like to get a clearer concept of your idea.

Cheers Rob

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Hi Gaz, I tried to figure out what kind of archive you have in mind. Could you detail your idea a little bit more. What is the main idea, should it be an archive for historic pictures or one of builds or finished models, all of these can be inspirational?
How should the structure be made, because we can create topics, but no structures?
What would be the benefit in terms of redundancy of pics and information in e.g. WIP's and your archive?

Like you, I have no idea about what is doable, but like to get a clearer concept of your idea.

Cheers Rob

I meant real aircraft pictures.  For instance a thread could be titled:  Yak Piston 1-9.  So ppl could upload their historical pics of Yak 1-9 there.  i don't understand what kind of structure you're looking for.  I'm just talking threads with pictures and useful captions.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, GazzaS said:

I meant real aircraft pictures.  For instance a thread could be titled:  Yak Piston 1-9.  So ppl could upload their historical pics of Yak 1-9 there.  i don't understand what kind of structure you're looking for.  I'm just talking threads with pictures and useful captions.

Ok Gaz, I think I understand. We already have the 'Walkaround' section, why not place threads like this there?
I spoke about structures, because with all the lots information around, the main problem is to find the desired results. It needs some discipline in the thread titles and tags to make information accessible, if there is no structure.
For example: You are searching for pictures of a lets say DB601 engine for your 109 build. These could be hidden in a thread about a Do-215. 
The other problem to my eye is redundancy, because many historical pics are shared in the WIP's, where I like them connected to the build and often answering specific questions, but on the other hand, hard to find later.
I don't want to question your idea Gaz, but I'm not sure about the accessibility of the information or do you mean simple question and answer threads? That would to my eye not be an archive.

Cheers Rob 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DocRob said:

Ok Gaz, I think I understand. We already have the 'Walkaround' section, why not place threads like this there?
I spoke about structures, because with all the lots information around, the main problem is to find the desired results. It needs some discipline in the thread titles and tags to make information accessible, if there is no structure.
For example: You are searching for pictures of a lets say DB601 engine for your 109 build. These could be hidden in a thread about a Do-215. 
The other problem to my eye is redundancy, because many historical pics are shared in the WIP's, where I like them connected to the build and often answering specific questions, but on the other hand, hard to find later.
I don't want to question your idea Gaz, but I'm not sure about the accessibility of the information or do you mean simple question and answer threads? That would to my eye not be an archive.

Cheers Rob 

ok...not an archive then.   Just threads with pictures, but in a dedicated section...  So they don't sink into oblivion.

• Like 5

I believe this is a great idea, it works on another forums. I lost tons of material with Imgur update few years back, lots of it from archives with a single entry subscription. It would be nice to hang it here and share it forever and ever after :) 

• Like 3