The Great LSM Twins Group Build ends Aug 31, 2024 ×

Japanese aircraft.

Hi guys.

Japanese aeroplanes are among my favourites. I have never seen a Japanese aeroplane I would never model. Just give me the lot! (BTW. That last sentence used in an email to Hasegawa only ends in tears. Don't ask me how I know.)

To begin, film of the wonderful Ki-84 Frank, and the venerable bomber killer, J2M Jack.

One pilot featured is the great rule breaking and often demoted and always drunk,  IJN ace Sadaaki Akamatsu. Akamatsu can be seen mounting his Jack and describing tactics from 5:03. (You may remember him from Sakai's great autobiography. 

Nakajima Ki-84 & Mitsubishi J2M Jacks.

Please share your thoughts, comments photos and links. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That’s an awesome video!  I’ve seen other Japanese wartime videos here and there, but this one covered aircraft types I’d not seen in other contexts.

great find and thanks for sharing!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guest Dekenba
On 5/1/2020 at 1:31 PM, Sir Desmond Glazebrook said:

Hi guys.

Japanese aeroplanes are among my favourites. I have never seen a Japanese aeroplane I would never model. Just give me the lot! (BTW. That last sentence used in an email to Hasegawa only ends in tears. Don't ask me how I know.)

To begin, film of the wonderful Ki-84 Frank, and the venerable bomber killer, J2M Jack.

One pilot featured is the great rule breaking and often demoted and always drunk,  IJN ace Sadaaki Akamatsu. Akamatsu can be seen mounting his Jack and describing tactics from 5:03. (You may remember him from Sakai's great autobiography. 

Nakajima Ki-84 & Mitsubishi J2M Jacks.

Please share your thoughts, comments photos and links. 

Looks very interesting, I'll watch this later - thanks.

(Although the level of intrusion into his personal life sounds extremely intrusive.)